US Downloads

• Question
  • Updated 21 hours ago
  • Answered
Rav, any idea why US prices are not downloading this morning?
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 6,082 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 91,792 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Just tested a couple of installations and didn't update for me & a couple of colleagues either.
Let me report it and get more info about it.

Is the last successful update for you up to 13/11?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Just a quick update on this. The Product Manager has been investigating and it seems like we are able to connect to US share prices servers but there is no price data for us to download. ASX and NZX are working fine.

Investigation is continuing at this stage as we need to confirm what's happening.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

So, 24 hours later and no update from you Rav, and no US prices downloading.  What gives?
Photo of Frank t

Frank t

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
same for me - no download yesterday or this morning 16/11
Photo of david klumpp

david klumpp

• 416 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for alerting this Dave! I noticed it first a few days ago. Same problem occurred 2 years ago and it took ages to fix; hope this time the tech people are more effective.

By the way, it has taken me 2 days to get logged into community, it would give me a successful log in notice, but then not log me in. That is using Chrome; I just resolved it by using Firefox. Not sure why this happens, I tried all usual things like clear cache, reset password, and checked that cookies enabled? Puzzle (I prefer Chrome)
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

My prices downloaded until Wednesday the 13th, David.  I did notice last weekend the prices downloaded were incorrect way after the market closed, though they did eventually correct.

Strange about not being able to log-in to the community site.  I also use Chrome and haven't had an issue yet.  Have it bookmarked as : https://community.reckon.com/reckon/categories/reckon_accounts_personal_range

Is that what you're using?
Photo of david klumpp

david klumpp

Yes I tried that address, no luck with Chrome. Same message when I attempt log-in, short message says you are successfully logged in, but I'm not- if I try put in a comment to some post it asks me to log in!
Bit weird, but as I know I can access in FF I will not bother to waste time resolving this.
Hoping the US$ prices get updated before too long.

Photo of David M

David M

• 520 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Just thought to update
US prices still not coming down - last on the 13th.
Using chrome to access this page without difficulty aswell, which does not help you much.
Photo of David

David

• 664 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Prior to the download stopping (my last successful download was on the 13th) the update now seems to have a delay of many hours compared to the previous delay of less than an hour. Something has changed, we just don't know what.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi all,
Unfortunately, I don't have a great deal of more detailed info to add to this currently however our product team have advised me they are continuing to investigate this. As previously mentioned, it looks as though the data itself is not coming through even though we're connecting to the server.
I'll let you know more information in relation to this as soon as I have it.

Thank you for your patience so far everyone.
(Edited)
Photo of David

David

Any news on the update issue?
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Can you provide an update, please Rav.  Has any progress been made on identifying the issue - shouldn't take the best part of a week to identify the problem
Photo of david klumpp

david klumpp

Thanks for pushing this Dave. But as you know, from 2 years’ ago, your others efforts the same problem (maybe different cause?) took ages to fix!
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,978 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Remember well, David.
Photo of Decibel

Decibel

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I have the same issue as of the 13th of November using Personal Plus V2019. The software no longer sees or downloads updates for my US shares or index data for  S&P 500, NASDAQ or Dow Jones. Oddly it will still download data for the Australian Index ASX 200
Photo of Eric Murphy

Eric Murphy

• 544 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for acknowledging this issue and for the info so far Rav. Would be great to get a further update on when it will be back online.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Thanks for hanging in there so far everyone.
Yes this problem is taking a bit of time unfortunately, and investigations are still ongoing with it at this stage.
I don't really have a great deal of detail in this at the moment to share but I expect that to become clearer very soon and I'll let you all know here as soon as I can.

I appreciate that this might not be update you're seeking at this stage but once I have more information you'll be the first to know.

Thanks everyone.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 4,092 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Is there a recommended / known web site that can provide the US share price and index data, like https://www.asxhistoricaldata.com/ does for Australian shares ?
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

John, easiest way is to set up a Portfolio in Yahoo - https://au.finance.yahoo.com/  

You can track stocks in any market.  The method outlined by Rav's link is far more cumbersome than simply entering individual prices manually, which has to be done for non US exchanges.
(Edited)
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Rav, does Reckon intend to re-instate the US download feature?
Photo of david klumpp

david klumpp

Dave your two comments are right on the button- yahoo finance give a good stock tracking system and its real time ; and what if anything is Reckon going to do to reinstate the feature? In the meantime I will use Yahoo end of week prices to update Reckon (other than that often too tedious yo update. )
Photo of David

David

Ravi, this is completely unacceptable.

Firstly I don't accept that Reckon had no warning of the cessation of the data service you use, unless of course it was free and there was no obligation to inform you. 

This mirrors the issue of a few years back when the ASX split the data service and Reckon (a) took no action after being advised by the ASX months in advance and (b) took years to restore the ASX index download.

There are any number of providers who can provide this data, Reckon needs to spend the necessary money to get the data and also task someone to modify the code to allow the data to be downloaded,

From a business strategy perspective Reckon should have known that any free or paid data service might change its approach and prepared accordingly.

Whilst most of us are aware that Reckon PP is a legacy product with minimal changes from year to year we should not be treated as milch cows. Reckon charges update fees and annual licensing fees so there should be plenty of money to fund a new source of US data.

Perhaps a class action is needed to convince your management that this decision is not in the best interests of the company.
(Edited)
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Spot on, David.  Very brave of you Rav to basically say tough titties, US downloads are not available, and then close the Post so no one can comment.

I have written to the Head of Product expressing our dismay - am waiting on a response.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

I know this is a disappointing outcome gents, its not where we wanted to arrive at either in relation to this issue.

As my announcement post mentioned, the product team will continue to investigate alternative third party data source options in future however I can't set any expectations around this unfortunately other than US share price downloads are unavailable moving forward.

Diver Dave, the other post is an announcement only. The discussion on it is right here.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 4,092 Points 4k badge 2x thumb

Reckon's capability to solve this problem is more than "disappointing"

As I have reported previously, I have given up with the Reckon ASX downloads and have developed my own app that takes the info from asxhistoricaldata.com and then scans qdata.qph for any missing information. It is not a 5-day scan but a 2-year scan ( or check back to 2007 if required) The main problem is tracking changes to company codes over the scan period.

Why can't Reckon solve this relatively simple task ?
There are 2 main tasks to solve:
1) Create a reckon dataset to store the last n days of data ( why only 5 ). Doesn't this exist ? Should be no change here.
2) Identify a data source and utility that maintains this dataset. I don't know where you get the ASX and NZ data from, but even Yahoo could be scanned each day to populate the dataset for most codes being requested. Again, doesn't this already exist. 
I can get all my data from asxhistoricaldata.com or comsec. Why can't Reckon do better and support super fund indexes and other priced funds, once you have the search approach.

These are not difficult technologies and I would expect you should have these skills available. Or is it had !!

Or is accounts the only functioning Reckon department now, plus marketing third party loan products (don't you need an appropriate license for this ?)

Also, what is happening to the historical market indices being provided, which are updated for longer periods ?
Photo of Decibel

Decibel

• 272 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Built into the Recon Software cost  is an online services license. If the online service is no longer available,does that mean we are entitled to a partial refund....?
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Rav, the reason for my comment regarding your announcement was that I wanted to post a response to it.  Whilst your advice on how to import prices from a csv file is accurate, and correct, it is not really the easiest way to update prices manually; it's handy if you've downloaded historical prices from some site, but not for entering a single price.

The simplest way to enter a price on any given day is via Portfolio View - Right Click on a particular Stock and select Price History.
Photo of Glen

Glen

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

The ability to down load US stock prices is a key feature of Reckon for many of us - manual downloads simply take too long and are error-prone. Indeed the Reckon web site proudly proclaims as the second of the 'features' that 'Share price downloads via Amazon Web Services'. 

We have had several instances in the past when US Share Prices have  stopped; the precedent has been set that Reckon works on the problem and eventually fixes it. This may take time but most of us are understanding. This time we seem to have been hit with a somewhat automatic response: 'Too bad"

There are solutions to rectifying this problem that Reckon developers can take; it is not hard.

Surely Jason Hollis (Reckon Head of Product) would be somewhat disappointed in the current reaction to the (unintended) removal of a key Product Feature.
Photo of Frank t

Frank t

• 296 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Glen, well put, I fully support Glen's comments and I have to comment that the US stock downloads are one of the main reasons for my 2 year licence renewals.
Photo of Puddin Tame

Puddin Tame

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
If anyone is Interested:  

I have my portfolio in Yahoo finance and it has an Export function on the My Holdings page that downloads a daily file 'quotes.csv'.  I only need to delete a number of useless columns and change the date format to be able to load the daily prices into Quicken PP 2019.  Not ideal, but better than nothing
Photo of david klumpp

david klumpp

Thank you for that tip- I also use the excellent Yahoo finance portfolio to track real time prices of international shares. Didn’t know the useful Holdings section had that function for download. Let’s hope that Reckon face up to commercial responsibility and fix this problem, and earn their nice annual licence fee increases (regularly 10%).
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,988 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Thanks, Puddin.  Had never tried to import an entire Portfolio, just historical data for a particular stock.  Worked fine once I'd aligned my stock symbols in RPP to Yahoo's, though I didn't need to change date format.  Maybe because I'm using Yahoo's Australian site?  Did find RPP wouldn't read "quotes.csv", but was OK when I shortened it.  Very strange, but great to be able to import prices from 4 exchanges at once.
Photo of david klumpp

david klumpp

Dave what do you mean by “shortened”?
Photo of david klumpp

david klumpp

Puddin and Dave. This is a good revelation & I can see it is going to eventually solve this problem.
I’ve organised and exported my Yahoo portfolio “quotes.csv” file (edited it to match the list in RPP portfolio) - btw much easier to edit stock list in Yahoo Portfolio (using “Reorder” ) than RPP file. RPP only allows one to alphabetical order a-z or z-a?

However I have not yet got to import that to RPP. Can you guys please give some brief guide to the import for those not so experienced?
I assume the yahoo file is edited to simply the stock codes and prices (and no headings, and as said above In exact order of stocks as in RPP portfolio? No date needed? I also assume the import is done via File/ import/ import prices? And use the appropriate address for file location (C:\downloads)?
Please advise if I got any this wrong?
Photo of david klumpp

david klumpp

Anyway- I went ahead and tried what I described (cut quotes.csv to quot.csv and it worked beautifully :). Thanks to you guys!
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,988 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
David, I don't think the order in Yahoo matters.  Just that the Stock Code in RPP is the same as Yahoo's - no extension for the US, .l for UK, .T for Japan and .SW for Switzerland.  Easier to change RPP once, than Yahoo every time you import.
Photo of Puddin Tame

Puddin Tame

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Sorry for not answering David.  I only look in once a day to see if there is an update.  As you found, you only need to have the stock symbol the same as in Quicken/Reckon and the price.  The date can be set by R/Q.  I am getting so used to having to download historical prices per share, I forgot you do not need the date for the daily file.   Anyhoo.  Glad I could help someone.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,998 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Just an update on Importing Portfolio prices into RPP.  The order in Yahoo Portfolio has no effect - the only thing that matters is the stock code.  If the date column is absent, then RPP assumes today's date, which is incorrect for overseas stocks.
Photo of Glen

Glen

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Reporting back in!!
Rav, please read this!

Thanks to everyone for the advice. I have spent the whole day working on this. First I have built two US portfolios (one of 45 stocks another of 20) on Yahoo. I took pains to make sure that the order of stocks in Yahoo matched those in RPP.

Then I went to the uploads using Rav's instructions. I was stuck forever on this:
Investing>Portfolio>File>Import>Import prices. Then finally worked out that it should read Investing>Portfolio .... then File>Import>Import prices. A little thing that was quite a barrier.

Next, my initial imports would not work. I used the approved SPD.csv heading on my desktop without luck so I built a new file as SPD1.csv which also did not work but SPD1.CSV did. Next qut.csv did not work either but SPD2.CSV did. Be interested to get the file naming conventions here. 

Eventually it has all worked so thanks to all the help from everyone.

I  can add a useful comment that I first of all updated the 45 stock portfolio; there is some overlap between the two portfolios in stocks and I noticed that after the first update, those stocks that were common to both portfolios had been updated. I think that we can deduce that the painful matching of the stock list in Yahoo to RPP may not be necessary.

But please, Reckon, fix the good old system that we have been used to for years. We do have a workaround - which is much better than the manual one that was first suggested. But it is still a 'workaround'

Best,
Glen

Photo of Dean Robinson

Dean Robinson

• 164 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Disappointing given we went through all of this with the 3rd party provider issue in 2016. Just repeating the same thing. Reckon - stop signing up with dodgy (probably cheap) 3rd party providers, do some proper due diligence and sign up with a provider that is not going to dump us customers with no notice and no resolution time/path.
Photo of David

David

Rav, four weeks now and waiting.

When will product management advise what they're working on and expected timelines?

Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 91,712 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi David & all.
There hasn't been any change on this matter since my previous post unfortunately.
You will need to utilise the workaround in the KB article or the others outlined by fellow members in this thread to bring in US share price data into the Reckon Personal range moving forward.
Photo of Frank t

Frank t

• 306 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Rav, I find this totally unacceptable and wonder why I should continue to pay my licence fee. At least it should be now heavily discounted as you are not providing what was agreed when I signed up. US prices are important to me. It looks like, unfortunately, I will need to star looking for an alternative to Reckon.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 4,072 Points 4k badge 2x thumb
Rav,

I am sure you are more aware than us that the support offered by Reckon for  RPP has declined in 2019, now to the level where Reckon now continues to increase the annual usage fee at greater than CPI but provides negligible support. The primary support is now being offered by other RPP users.

We are now at a point where Reckon considers it can fail to maintain the services that are documented in the annual usage fee, but still increase the fee.
Over the recent weeks there has been no indication of any attempt to rectify a service which Reckon has continued to take fees for.
This is a clear example of fees for no service, for which there has been clear reference to being unacceptable corporate behaviour.

This is now unconscionable conduct of a company that treats it's paying subscribers with contempt and should be reported to consumer affairs.
(Edited)