we need more characters in the invoice number field

Kathy Mackinlay_6947388
Kathy Mackinlay_6947388 Member Posts: 141
edited August 2019 in Accounts Hosted
We are running accounts hosted R4 and require more characters to be input for the invoice number on our invoices. We import from a third party program and we need the extra characters. At the moment it is dropping the last character so all invoices have the same last characters. Not a good thing. Any help would be appreciated. image the invoice should have a 9 on the end

Comments

• Kathy Mackinlay_6947388
    edited March 2015
    Hi Kevin, It is correct in the file to be brought across to Reckon - it comes across correctly if you look at the customer transaction screen - but if you open the invoice or adjustment note and choose to save and close it drops off because it doesn't actually show when you open the invoice/adjustment note. Weird if you ask me. I have attached a couple of screen shots to show what I mean.imageimage
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited July 2019
    Hi Kathy,

If there is a limitation in the field size that can be entered into the Reckon Accounts program, then your third-party software needs to limit what it generates or what it exports to match that limit.
    (as per Kevin's post above)

Bills appear to be able to have a longer Ref. No. value compared to what an Invoice can.

Consider making use of Custom Fields to split your existing invoice number into two parts.
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/defined_fields_for_customer

* Data Recovery Team *
    edited March 2015
    Hi Russell, can you tell me how you define the field size. thanks
    edited July 2019
    Hi Data recover team, When I import the livestock invoice or adjustment note into Quickbooks you are able to see the whole number as per import on the client enquiry screen. If however you open the invoice or adjustment note screen the last digit is missing. If i then save that invoice and go back to client enquiry and the imported invoice/adjustment note number has lost the last digit. The fact that the number can be imported and displayed (complete) prior to going into the invoice or adjustment note tells me that the field on the invoice/adjustment note contains a different number of characters than that of the client enquiry screen. Can you please help . thanks, Kathy
  • Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Hi Kathy,

The Data Recovery Team cannot change what the program can display.

What third-party software are you using to import these invoices?

Have you contacted them about this?

Does that third-party software make use of an IIF text file import or does it use the Reckon Accounts SDK?

If there is a discrepancy between what the import allows and what the screen can display and what can be manually entered into that invoice screen, then you would need to limit the number of characters that the third-party software exports.

* Data Recovery Team *

• cosmic
    cosmic Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 1,073 ✭✭✭
    edited September 2018
    Hi Kathy, i have been reading your post in this forum, i would like to help if i can.

Cosmic Accounting Group

Accountants and Tax Agents 22397009

edited April 2015
    We export our file from Livestock Exchange (it is Microsoft Access based) as a IIF file. I have spoken to them about this also. I don't understand how you can see the whole number in one screen and not another. If the invoice number box was one character longer I would be able to see in both. Surely that can be done.
    edited April 2015
    Hi Chandra, Would be pleased to know what you are able to do to help with this problem.
  • cosmic
    edited September 2018
    Hi Kathy, we need to discuss , call me on 02 95411338 or mob 0407068942
    or i can call you
    thanks

Cosmic Accounting Group

edited April 2015
    I will give you a call tomorrow if that is OK.
  • cosmic
    edited September 2018
    yes, thks

Cosmic Accounting Group

edited April 2015
    Hi Chandra, I am waiting on a call from my third party people and will let you know after that what I need done. thanks,
  • cosmic
    edited September 2018
    Thanks

Cosmic Accounting Group

• Cwf Workforce
    Cwf Workforce Member Posts: 6
    edited April 2015
    I think you need to go to templates and then choose the tax invoice then designer layout and enlarge the invoice section 

Try It
    edited April 2015
    Thanks for the suggestion re the template but it is actually on the input screen that it doesn't show the extra digit and i am unable to enter it. Thankyou anyway.
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi Kathy

For an iif import, the DOCNUM field refers to both the Reference Num for a Bill and the Invoice Number for an Invoice.  

The Enter Bills screen has 20 characters in the Ref Number field, so this tells me that the Invoice Number field is probably capable of holding 20 characters.

Very old versions of QuickBooks could only hold 11 characters for a bill, so I suspect that this field was increased in the database, and the enter bills screen redesigned to allow more characters.

You need to lobby Reckon to change the Tax Invoice and Sales Receipt forms to allow 20 characters rather than 11 in the Invoice Number field, but I suspect that there is little demand for the work to be prioritised over everything else.

Perhaps you could get your people to drop the LE from the Invoice number, but also put the whole number in the "FOB" field (13 characters!)

Graham Boast 0409317366
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au
    http://reckonhelp.com.au/remotesupport.htm

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

edited April 2015
    Hi Graham, Thankyou for your post. That makes sense to me with what you are saying. I have contacted LE and they are going to hopefully bring across the sale number for us (which is the /xxxx - without the /) to a field. Would there be a field suitable. I was thinking perhaps the O/No field as we do not use it otherwise. I will lobby Quickbooks to correct the invoice doc number field though. Given that it actually imports and shows when i have look at customers tells me what you say is spot on. thanks again.
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Hi Kathy

If they can do that, they should be able to just drop xxxx into the Invoice number field and drop the whole LExxxxx/xxxx into the PO Number field (PONUM in iif file).

Graham

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

edited April 2015
    I agree Graham, the problem with most things is actually getting them to do it. I have 100 sales with at least 4 entries each so far that I need to add the number to. It is going to be a pain in the butt. But as I say getting them to do it so I can start putting the number in would be great. Thanks again for your help.
  • Nathan Elcoate
    Nathan Elcoate Accredited Partner Posts: 162 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited May 2017
    That may explain also why the Ref No field in the Pay Bills screen only displays 11 characters. Makes sense now that the input fields may have been expanded to 20 characters but it looks like they forgot other parts of the software. I am dealing with this issue now with a client.