What are we paying an annual subscription for? (Accounts personal plus 2015)

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I've been a Quicken user for nearly 20 yrs.  I pay an annual subscription for software that supports and adds features that benefit users over time.  What has this product seriously delivered in terms of features over the last 5 yrs worth of upgrades?

Just sad for the brand.  In today's environment, Reckon won't have much of a customer base once a competitive product is available for Australian users.
Photo of Bobby M

Bobby M

• 176 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of gavin.nicholson.au

gavin.nicholson.au

• 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Yes and no bug fixes nor any way to report them other to pay $4.95/min for technical support!
(Edited)
Photo of Linda Gabriel

Linda Gabriel

• 82 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
That support fee works out to $297 / Hour.  thats outrageous. 
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,952 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Linda,

What is more outrageous is that most of the problems we have with RPP are due to faults with the program and not user errors.

Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,252 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
And some of the bugs have existed and been reported for over ten years.
Photo of David Guinness

David Guinness

• 222 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I couldn't agree more. Except for being able to update equity prices with a couple of clicks without the need to made other arrangements, I can see absolutely no benefit for paying an annual license fee for the last 20 odd years.
Photo of Allan

Allan

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Quite agree!  And not competitive for NZ users either.  My Personal Plus share price updates valid until 16 June 2015 ceased operating about July 2014.  And my NZ version tax mode appears configured only for Oz.  Has Quicken gone belly up?

Allan

Photo of Allan

Allan

• 132 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Thanks.  Quicken NZ has now upgraded me to PP2015, which is now downloading online share prices and appears to be configured for NZ users.

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Great to hear Allan!
Photo of Albert

Albert

• 404 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Come on Reckon! Respond please!
Photo of rippedoff

rippedoff

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
You and me both mate wished i never started using it.Now 23 years.I have problems installing every year. Share updates are not even automatic.I'm on here trying to find a solution because i can't afford $300 an hour for rocket scientists.    
Photo of trevor klose

trevor klose

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Agree. Upgrades offer me nothing new that I use and installation is a pain. Reckon needs to take note of what custoers experience in the real world and fix their buggy installation process e.g. trying to get Home Inventory working with each upgrade is exceptionally difficult. Not happy!!
Photo of Bush Nichols

Bush Nichols

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
I wholeheartedly agree. Is MYOB any better? Must be another option! 
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Thank you all for your feedback. The annual license provides for any updates or new releases made in that time frame. The license does not guarantee that there will be any new releases or upgrades during that period. Again, I thank you for your feedback and understand your concerns. I've passed them onto the Product Management team for the Personal range.

Allan - if you give our customer service team a call they can look into pricing for going to RPP2015 for which the downloads are working. There was an email sent to users about prorated upgrade pricing, depending on the length of the time remaining on the share price license, stretching to even 100% discount.^Mirko.
Photo of Bobby M

Bobby M

Mirko,
Thanks for the standard response. Your product management team should actually be touching base with all your existing customer base to acknowledge the lack of any deliverables over the last few years and provide a plan of what's going to change.  The only reason I continued to pay the annual license was to access my data. I will be moving to a full license as many will and the next step is a jump when your competitors come.  
Customers today pay for a product that they value, and I've now personally lost that on a product that has no roadmap.  I'm now looking at Quicken PP as a product I have to pay for to access my data - bad situation. 
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Thanks for your feedback Bobby, I will pass it on as I have mentioned.
Photo of John Ilott

John Ilott

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

I have been a Quicken/Reckon customer for well over 20 years and right now I can't wait for a decent competitive product.

I installed the 2015 version of Personal Plus (including Home Inventory) last Friday.  I ran into a snag with Home Inventory not recognising any of my old files.  The file extensions it asked for were nothing like the file extensions I had.  I did the logical thing and picked up the phone to get some quick guidance on what I may have done wrong.

Both Customer Service and Technical Support could not have been more dismissive if they had tried.  Tech Support wouldn't even talk to me unless I upgraded or paid a ridiculous $4.90 per minute to resolve an upgrade problem.  When I asked to speak to a supervisor, he was "in a meeting" and couldn't come to the phone.

So I was transferred to Customer Support who really had no more idea than to advise me how to work things out for myself.  When I asked to speak to her supervisor she was "not at her desk" so no one was prepared to hear my complaint about the relatively simple problem caused by Reckon's conversion software.  All this took around 45 minutes!

If someone in Reckon is prepared to phone me I'll talk to them but right now, like you and others, I'm out looking for a replacement package.

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hi John, there is an ongoing thread where some users have reported a similar issue and how they resolved it. It may well be worth a read: https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/inventory-manager-wont-install-for-reckon-accounts-per....

Should this not do the trick for you, please post in the thread as to what happened for yourself when trying the suggested steps and I'll have someone look into it for you.

Finally, I thank you for providing us with your feedback and I'll pass it onto our Support Management. ^Mirko

gavin.nicholson.au

Except the share price download doesn't work for all securities for some reason. Most but not all... Oh and as for the guarantee if we knew that nothing would improve for two years we would have just paid double for the non-subscription option and not be locked in...
(Edited)
Photo of Craig McKellar

Craig McKellar

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I am thinking it is time to look for another product. If all we get is an annual upgrade and no intent to fix any bugs in between releases then enough is enough. This is a financial package and any bugs can be costly and hence needs prompt attention as they are identified. 
Photo of rippedoff

rippedoff

• 310 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I only use Personal to manage my dwindling share portfolio .If any one knows of a better product please post here so we can tell them what to do with their subscription and move on. 

gavin.nicholson.au

If you only a have a small porfolio maybe excel can do what you need?
You can use the XIRR function to calculate your rates of return.

Edit: And I have NO idea if these are any good but appear to be free for small holdings:
http://www.sharesight.com.au/pricing/
http://www.firstdollarsoftware.com/Frequently_Asked_Questions.aspx#lnk1

Probably more but you can google around at your leisure
(Edited)
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Mirko,

This thread appears to list many complaints of very poor support from Reckon Australia.

Many customers have complained about RPP 2015 which has significant problems and a poor interface for backup/restore and for share price download. I could certainly write a very long post listing them!

Why can't Reckon provide some response to these problems. There appears to be no-one managing this product or providing improvements, which in many cases would not require significant effort to fix.

For example, with regard to the backup-restore problems, why can't RPP provide warnings if an incomplete backup set is not located or allow the use of the new backup format ? This is really a small patch.  Also, the problem with importing share volumes using the extended .csv format; this is also a small task, assuming there is someone competent employed to do these tasks.

These are not difficult problems to fix, if you have access to the code and an ability to rebuild the package.

I have made many representations to Reckon for improvements to RPP, most very minor. I even attended the last conference and spoke to Reckon employees, then followed up with emails.

Over the last 6 months I have also asked a number of questions on this forum.

To date I have had no worthwhile response to any of these approaches. I do not understand why this is the case. The only likely explanation is arrogance or incompetence and I fear it is both.

Can Reckon please provide a statement on what they may do to improve RPP 2015 and address the many issues that are being reported on this forum ?

John Campbell

Photo of Bobby M

Bobby M

Very well put John.  From product management experience, such situations are a typical result of no new sales and lack of interest in continuation of the product.  Then it's all about extracting as much cash as possible whilst minimising any expenses (e.g. development).  I suspect ever since the AU / US split of Reckon focus has diverted. 
I have personally now changed to a full license model (with no plans to upgrade) and will await a competitor to bring an alternative to market. 
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

It might have been well put, but It still hasn't prompted any reply from Reckon !

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.