Where do I enter the Protected Earnings amount for an Employee paying Child Support?

  • 1
  • Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
Had a letter from CSA about a change in the protected earnings for an employee paying Child Support.  Where do I make this change to the protected earnings amount in Reckon Accounts Hosted
Photo of Donna


  • 116 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 1 year ago

  • 1
Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

  • 54,870 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
You dont. Its irrelevant to processing CSA deductions. Thanks for asking
Hi Donna

As the payroll person, it's very much applicable.

Unfortunately, there's not a specific section created in RA for tracking this if the pay varies but you do need to ensure that the employee's resulting net pay doesn't go below the PEA.  If for instance, they work less hours & the standard CSA deduction will cause this to occur, you need to adjust the CSA deduction accordingly.

The following rate applies from 1 January 2019:

Weekly rate                 $372.53
Fortnightly                   $745.06 (weekly rate x 2)
Four week period        $1,490.12 (weekly rate x 4)
Monthly period            $1,619.84 (daily rate x 30.4375)

More info is available here:
Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

  • 54,850 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Okay Shaz, how do you cater for this in Hosted? I think we were answering different parts of the same question. 

Hi Kevin

Yeah, RA/RAH doesn't have this specific tracking feature.  Elsewhere has been the suggestion to use 2 Payroll Items - 1 with the fixed minimum amount & the other being adjustable as required.  However, that seems very messy & I don't see how it would work if using timesheets/hours!

As you know, RA/RAH has a default upper limit option, but this is for the amount of the deduction itself not the net amount remaining so that being the case, you'd need to just keep an eye on it each pay run & adjust the deduction manually if necessary.

I'm guessing it's likely only going to be encountered with those on a casual/variable employment basis as the CSA calculation is usually determined on the employee's regular wage.    
Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

  • 54,850 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Well that was my first thought.
Photo of Barbara


  • 244 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I have have the same issue, but with a garnishee order for the courts. Following for an outcome