Why can't I duplicate Item List items (Reckon Accounts Premier 2015) when the help menu says I can (

Options
Louise West
Louise West Member Posts: 2
edited February 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

I have many items I need to duplicate, because they are identical except for one thing (such as size, weight or colour) and it takes so long to do it manually.

The help menu says, under Duplicating Items:

Go to the Lists menu and click Item List or Fixed Asset Item List.

1. Highlight the item you want to copy, then right-click and choose Duplicate Item.

2. Change the item's information as necessary. The item's name will be same but the letters "DUP" will be appended to it. You can rename the item as desired. Remember, though, that two items cannot have the same name.

3. Click OK.

But "Duplicate Item" does not appear as an option when I right-click. I get Find, New, Edit Item, Make Item Inactive, etc but not Duplicate Item. Can anyone help?

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Louise

You've set us a challenge.  I've scoured through RA 2015 R2 (Premier)  as well as an older 2013 version,   and 

a)  I  find that "duplicating Items"  help instruction in the "ASK" box, or the "How Do I" box, or under  Help -->  On this Window (F1) .

b)  But in the ITEM sub-menu button at the lower left corner,.  true, I see no 'Duplicate" action either,  nor via the right-click  approach

According to this article, it is possible under ENTERPRISE version of the product.  (I've checked that, and it is in that version).

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/items-in-accounts-premier

Perhaps the HELP information covers all the needs of  Easystart, Plus, Pro, Premier, Enterprise releases.

Gary
  • Louise West
    Louise West Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Thanks, Gary. Reckon advised me today that this option is indeed only available in Enterprise. They offered the alternative of exporting items to Excel, creating the duplications there and importing the new items as IIF. I've done this before, and unless you're dealing with hundreds of items, for any less than twenty items it takes almost as long as entering new items manually, with potentially more complications. Guess I have to look at upgrading to Enterprise to save my sanity. Kinda defeats the purpose of being in business if all my profits are spent on software licences. But thanks for looking, anyway.
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes, Louise - the effort versus the result, I do understand.   If you were to go down that export approach,  you'd retain sanity by identifying only the 'bunch' that needs DUPLICATING, and leave only the original of those duplicates in he EXCEL file.  Then, modify those, particularly the ITEM NAME of course,  and that one minor extra change you desire that makes that subtle different desired.  That would leave the Excel file containing effectively all the NEW ONE (be-it-all that they were edited/made from originals). Then import that as a whole new 'bunch'.

I imaging the trickiest part of that approach, is the sieving out of the'bunch' out of the initial 1000's that you start with.  That's the time consuming part, unless they were next to each other.   But risky, doing such a BULK import in the end.

Migrating to Enterprise, with due respect to the RA sales team,  that is a whole new dimension to the topic too.  It will depend on value versus your time.

Gary