why does reckon online crash and stop working when I import an uploaded item iif file?

Clifford Eagle
Clifford Eagle Member Posts: 6
edited October 2018 in Accounts Hosted
Making price adjustments to item file. saved item file changes to iif file and uploaded. When trying to import, iif file can be found in upload directory, but upon clicking, error message appears "reckon accounts has stopped working and must be shut down". Not had this problem before when making price adjustments. why can't I import item file?

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited October 2017
    Hello Clifford,

Thanks for asking.

Firstly, create a fresh backup of your company file.  

Check that the file you are importing is an IIF file (and not a .txt or .csv).  Recreate it and try again.

If the problem persists, check that there are no strange characters in any of the fields - compare your new IIF file with an export of the Item list from your company file.

If the problem persists, re-import an IIF file you created from the company file - did it have any problems?

If it did, then do a re-sort of all lists, rebuild and verify; examine the error files in the Q:\Log folder.  

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John
  • Clifford Eagle
    Clifford Eagle Member Posts: 6
    edited October 2018
    Thanks John, but that is not it completely, and for others searching because of problems importing an uploaded IIF file, this is the reason for my problem... After linking .IIF to be read using excel and making the changes, I saved the changes and modified the extension back to .IIF and uploaded. But did I save the excel file first as a Text(Tab delimited)(.txt) file before changing the extension to .IIF?? No I didn't, and it turns out Reckon Online crashes when it imports an .IIF that is still in excel format. My fault, but you  think Reckon Online might have a dialogue box saying "Incorrect file format, cannot Import" rather than crashing...and to others, and I think this is true... Saving the excel file to Tab Delimited will 'change' your number formatting (no. of decimal points etc.). Go into the .txt file and reformat numbers as necessary and save again before uploading. Cliff
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited October 2017
    Hello Clifford,

Thanks for the feedback and will pass your comments up the line.  

Although you can work with the IIF file in a text editor its easier to work in an Excel spreadsheet.  When you come to save it you must choose the text file option and keep the original format.  When that file is created rename the .txt extension to .iif.  

regards,
    John.