Why have US share prices stopped updating on Personal plus 2015?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Photo of Dave RH

Dave RH

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,412 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled US Stock prices have not downloaded this morning or yesterday - what's going on?.

US stock prices are not available for the 31st of May or 1st of June - would appreciate an acknowledgement and response from Reckon.

I'm using Rekon Personal Plus 2015
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 80,686 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hi guys,
Checking in with the team around this, will come back to you shortly.

Cheers
Rav
Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
US stock and indices not updating since May 27 2016
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi guys,
Thank you for your reports on this, the team are investigating.

I'll update you with more info as soon as I can.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled US Stocks not downloading today..

Prices not available since Friday 27th.  What's happening Reckon?    When will downloads be re-instated?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi Dave,

The Dev team are continuing their investigation on the cause of the issue. Hope to have a further update to share today.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of robin.adair

robin.adair

• 158 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,

I have also just noticed that my US Shares prices have failed to update since 27 May.  The ability to monitor my US Share Portfolio is the main reason I chose Reckon.  Will you put out some sort of bulletin/email when this problem has been fixed?

Cheers

Robin
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Hear, hear, Robin.  Prices haven't been available since Monday's Memorial Day Holiday.

Reckon are aware of the problem and say "technical are looking into the problem".  How long does it take?

No follow up, no information.  
Dave  and Robin

What exact Anti-Virus programs are each of you r running.

Gary
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Only Windows Firewall, don't have a third party AV.  Not sure the relevance since I've been downloading US stock prices daily for yonks.

Have been unable to download since Saturday 28th (27th prices).  Have tried on 3 machines but none will download.

Also get error window when downloading into files with no US stocks, so I reckon something's changed at the Reckon end.
Photo of Dave RH

Dave RH

I'm using Norton 360 and have been for years without any problem.
Just checking that's all./  We've recently spent about 30 hours consulting a client on this issue only to discover that a recent update of firewall definitions  with a 3rd party anti-virus, anti-malware, email protection and firewall tool,  set a rule to BLOCK the incoming information from the website that Reckon get's their currency and security information from.  Once we fathomed that issue out - life was fine again!     Sometimes the ENVIRONMENT around the tools you are running, can set b;blockages and restrictions you don't normally focus on.  In his situation,  an update that arrived,  caused the issue.   And I' in the middle of documenting all this when I see you two gents suffering a similar SYMPTOM.   

I'm in the process of discussing the findings and back tracking to the November 2015 outage and the return to action before Easter,  BUT in the middle of that external issue, the AV program introduced a SECONDARY cause of blocking.

Gary
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,242 Points 1k badge 2x thumb

27/5 updated ok. 30/5 not, 31/5 not, 1/6 not, 2/6 not, 3/6 not.

Surely, with so many of us all with diverse systems, surely the problem is not gonna be blamed on an update to OUR systems. At the risk of further distraction from the Actual source of the current problem, I am using Norton Internet Security version 22.6.0.142 on fully up-to-date Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Centre; Personal Plus 2016 (since Nov'15). I see no messages in Norton history saying anything about firewall blocking incomings (in the time frame of requesting price updates, nor to do with Reckon).

What would help if someone were to report they HAVE gotten US price updates successfully since 30/5, then we could know it is our systems (probably) rather than Reckon's that are broken; and we would know a system configuration/environment that does work, making the problem solving massively easier.

(Edited)
Narky One

Your answer:  Yes:  Win7 Pro with PP2016 updates Currency OK tonight at 19:12PM Sunday 5th June 2016.

The trick to LOOK FOR   is when you do the UPDATE, is to see if you get a screen result that shows a DATE and TIME of actually fetching the data.  Not just asking for it, but getting it.  IE:  there is the OUTBOUND request that needs to reach the source of where rates come from.   PLUS the ability to receive the answer (the latest rates)  back in again.  That evidence is the date stamp at the top of this example tonight.

So, back to the ENVIRONMENT issues that are causing some, not all people to experience the issue like Diver Dave and Robin please.....

WE've been independely looking at:
- McAfee, Nortons,  Kapersky, ABG-free, AVG-Professional, Bit-defencder (tba),  MS Defender, Webroot, Cyren,  and a number of legacy anti-XXXX (malware, virus as well as auxillary firewalls) that are IN ADDITION to the native operating system's OWN firewall ruleset,  to try and identify the SHAPE of the data that is tripping up the 'trusting' of data in EITHER direction.  That's a lot of combinations, I can assure you, and explains part of my not being very active on this forum  since April conference.   We've been keen to really get to the bottom of issues like this,  to nbroaden the thinking about what causes issues .

What started as a total outage around Nov 2015, and took ages to resolve was one thing.  But amidst everyone's attempting to seek solutions, many have introduced other variables.  But alongside of THAT,  there are other changes like system updates for patches, and new versions of anti-xxxx/firewall products that try to determine whether some program (liek PP20165 or PP206)  is a valid request to the internet (along with replies coming into your PC as a result - which pass through these tools).

I asked a simple question tonight, to two users who are having difficulties, to determine if perhaps they fall into the same predicament that we've now solved for this article,  but want to seek out others before suggesting it is an isolated example of PC maintenance gone awry.

ref:  https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/one-step-update-refuses-to-work?topic-reply-list[settings...

TEST:  Change the US rate to a ridiculous figure like $2.00 and then prove it changes with an UPDATE.

**BUT*** Back to the topic question about the OLDER version:  PP2015.

What first needs to be determined is whether the PP2015 version works at all, as Narky stated,  and whether it works on the same operating system environment (ie: not just  the operating system itself.

Gary

Gary Pope
m: 0408994799 
e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
     independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"
(Edited)
Now to test WIn10 with PP2016 as well..     **WORKS**

(yes this is the LATEST version,  but we want to see if that works anyway,  and also seek clarification about differences if any to older PP2015)

1.  change the $US currency to say $A2.00  to be sure we start with something different
2.  run the update to the Currency
3.   confirm the result was properly set to $US0.73664  =  $A1

tests OK.  Here's the three screens showing steps 1,2,3.
NOTE:  We're just focusing on the CURRENCIES update from the QTL + Q   screen for this article.  That is why the results show that 35 currencies are being updated at 5/6/2016 7:47PM   on the top of the SECOND screen short below.

Gary
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Gary - am using Windows 10 and currency test works OK.  Have also tested with Firewall OFF.

Given I've tried on all of my machines with the same result, I don't see why you suggest it's a users computer problem.

What was the cause of the last outage?  Incidentally, on that occasion it was Australian stock prices which were not downloading then, but US ones would.

Situation now is the reverse - Aussie stocks download, US ones not.
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

Gary, this topic and my input was about US SHARE PRICE updates, not currency. Your posts are about currency, which for me has been working ok for ages. As of 30/5 (well 31/5 when we allow that 30/5 was holiday in USA), US SHARE prices have not been updating. And STILL do not.

Mods: Do we need to re-start this topic afresh to make it less confused. The issue today and for the last week is US SHARE PRICES NOT UPDATING. And perhaps everyone to then take care to discuss just the single topic of US SHARE PRICES.
(Edited)
Photo of Dave RH

Dave RH

Hi Gary , Tried that , currency update works. I am using Windows 7 & have personal plus 2015 R1.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Likewise, Gary - am using Windows 10.  Have also tested with Firewall OFF.

Given I've tried on all of my machines with the same result, I don't see why you suggest it's a users computer problem.

What was the cause of the last outage?  Incidentally, on that occasion it was Australian stock prices which were not downloading then, but US ones would.

Situation now is the reverse - Aussie stocks download, US ones not.
All points well  taken, Dave - I agree, we should be  talking JUST:  US Share prices not working.

But I just wanted to clarify some of the combinations that last time raised confusion between currency, stocks which country, which version of the program and on what system environment.

To avoid too much personal information being display, I was using currency as the demonstration in the first instance.....

IN recent times, I was using 'any downloads'  as the research here,  because the 3rd party firewall issue I raised was affecting ALL downloads.  ie:  PP2016 uses Internet Explorer v11 inside of PP2016,  and when the firewall issue was the cause,  it prevented:
a)  any ability to do online activation from WITHIN the product
b)  no ability to perform a TICKET LOOKUP
c)  no currencies could be downloaded
d)  no stocks  (US or AUS) could be downloaded.

Anyway,  I'll look to testing 'just US STOCKS on all these combinations for this article now.   The answer may lie in ascertaining what specific WEBSITE/service is being attempted to obtain the information, whether that service is responding,  and also, whether the replies from that service are permitted back into the PC running the PP2016 program.

I raised an email to PSG over the weekend, again, seeking to clarify what was the reason for the NOV-Pre-Easter outage last time, to see if there are any parallels in debugging this.

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

Can we expect an update from the dev team anytime soon?  Surely by now someone has figured at the very least where the process fails. 
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi folks, apologies for the delay, I'll have an update for you all from the Dev team later today which I'll share on this thread.

Cheers
Rav
Debugging.....  (FYI)

Yes, US STOCK prices fail to arrive, but it would appear the request does reach the WAN to 103.241.101.213 at Reckon.

Tracing the request for US pricing using qfn/stockrq.   Win7PRO + PP2016 seeking Google USA stock pricing,   We can see PP2016 raise the request to IP: 103.241.101.213   with a 1655 character payload in Quicken Financial News  qfn/stockrq  MIME-format.  (**Frame #6 on wireshart trace).   Refer page 22 of spec at:  https://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=3&cad=rja&a...

We also observe a duplicate acknolwegement to frame #6  in the next frame that occurs.  But thereafter,  no data is forthcoming.

Frame 6 is sent successfully with a result of "200 OK"  (seen in green at end of frame's line.)

Checking where this request went to,  we observe IP:  103.241.101.213  is at this location:

gaz@absvenom:~$ whois 103.241.101.213% [whois.apnic.net]
% Whois data copyright terms    http://www.apnic.net/db/dbcopyright.html

% Information related to '103.241.100.0 - 103.241.103.255'

inetnum:        103.241.100.0 - 103.241.103.255
netname:        RECKONLIMITED-AU
descr:          Reckon Limited
descr:          Level 12, 65 Berry Street
descr:          North Sydney NSW 2060
admin-c:        RLA4-AP
tech-c:         RLA4-AP
mnt-by:         APNIC-HM
mnt-lower:      MAINT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
mnt-routes:     MAINT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
mnt-irt:        IRT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
remarks:        --------------------------------------------------------
remarks:        To report network abuse, please contact mnt-irt
remarks:        For troubleshooting, please contact tech-c and admin-c
remarks:        Report invalid contact via www.apnic.net/invalidcontact
remarks:        --------------------------------------------------------
changed:        hm-changed@apnic.net 20130830
source:         APNIC

irt:            IRT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
address:        Level 12, 65 Berry Street, North Sydney NSW 2060
e-mail:         Ken.leRoux@reckon.com
abuse-mailbox:  Ken.leRoux@reckon.com
auth:           # Filtered
mnt-by:         MAINT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
changed:        hm-changed@apnic.net 20130829

role:           Reckon Limited administrator
address:        Level 12, 65 Berry Street, North Sydney NSW 2060
phone:          +61295775000
fax-no:         +61295775000
e-mail:         Ken.leRoux@reckon.com
nic-hdl:        RLA4-AP
mnt-by:         MAINT-RECKONLIMITED-AU
changed:        hm-changed@apnic.net 20130829

% This query was served by the APNIC Whois Service version 1.69.1-APNICv1r7-SNAPSHOT (WHOIS4)

gaz@absvenom:~$ 

Last price for test stock:  GOOGLE USA  was Wed 25/5/2016, as declared by users on this conversation.

Gary
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi everyone,

I've had a further chat with our Product Development team in regard to this issue today. The cause of the issue has been found and the point of origin is at the data source. It is no longer available to us for reasons beyond our control.

The Development team are working on securing an alternate solution but this will not be a quick fix and may require a code change to be delivered in Personal Plus 2017.

So the overall decision on the viability to deliver this functionality is still to be determined and I will update you all on this as soon as possible.

I can understand this may not be the news you were all looking for and I sincerely apologise for the inconvenience and frustration this is causing.

Investigation is continuing and I will update this thread with more information as soon as I can.

I can fully appreciate this is not the perfect solution however in the interim, a potential workaround is to manually input the US share prices using the 5 steps outlined below.

1. On the Investing tab, click on your portfolio and left click the share
  2. In the Transaction History right click and select Price History;
  3. Click on new and fill in the details (minimum entry is Date and Price);
  4. Click OK to save;
  5. Close Price History window by clicking on X in the top right corner.
Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

Rav 

I think we deserve to know how this situation has been arrived at.

I'm assuming the supply of price and indices by your data provider is under a contractual arrangement.  Did Reckon chose not to renew the contract or did the data provider advise the supply of data would end on the 27th of May? In either case when was this decision communicated by Reckon or to Reckon?  

The answer of course will determine whether Reckon had forewarning of the cessation of data provision and had planned accordingly.  Clearly no planning has been done so far and the apparent lack of awareness by the product team means that there maybe a critical lack of communication within Reckon itself.  

It is very reminiscent of the situation in 2008 when the ASX split the data file containing index and price data.  Again it was only when the failure of ASX indices to download did the product team supposedly learn about the ASX changes. This was despite the ASX notifying Reckon months ahead of the changes.  Since that time we have never had ASX indices available despite Reckon having the indices data available as part of their data contract.

Given that eight years has passed with no development effort made to fix this you'd have to wonder whether we'll end up with no fix for the US price and indices data.

There is no reason of course why this problem can't be fixed in 2016 unless Reckon either doesn't have the resources or is unwilling to fund the development.  

In my view it's totally unacceptable for this issue to surface in the way that it has and I suggest that unless we get pretty vocal about it nothing will happen, ever.

David
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Oh Reckon..... You really hate your customers don't you?! So another 'pay' update to fix a bug. If thats meant to be funny Rav, its not.

So what sort of compensation are Reckon offering to its users?

They have paid Reckon for a feature that isn't being delivered, so its only fair that compensation is given!
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

Rav,

I find your "statement" of Reckon's position most unsatisfactory, in all respects:

1. Reckon is not taking responsibility but clearly ought to (we the customers have no interest or care about how Reckon procures or establishes it services - our "contract" is with Reckon).

2. Reckon is promising to do nothing for a long time, and even then perhaps maybe if the stars align very little at the most optimistic.

3. The workaround you propose is so labour intensive and error prone that it is simply not feasible.

Do I sound angry? I hope so because I AM very angry.

Our want and need and demand is straightforward to state and, for any capable developer, straightforward to provide: Reckon to provide a patch to permanently fix this defect, for each version of Reckon Accounts Personal Plus (say as far back as 5 years ie 2011), available within a reasonable time (say 1 week or shorter). Any outcome other than that implies either contrary intentional policy or lack of competence - if this is indeed the outcome, would you please let us know which.
Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

Contractually price data is only available for two years from the date of license activation.  So Reckon should patch 2014, 2015 and 2016 in my opinion.

David
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Agreed, and Reckon have broken that contractual agreement with users, and now want users to PAY for a bug fix upgrade, next year. Just shocking customer service really.

Really Reckon, why should users give you money, if you treat them like this?
Photo of Dave RH

Dave RH

Hi Rav

"Not the news we are looking for" is a massive understatement, hopefully you are not going to make us purchase a new version to get this facility back.

You can update the prices manually by left clicking the price on your portfolio page and entering the current price.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Hear, hear, Dave.  Let's hear from Reckon management rather than Rav.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Allow me to address some of the comments raised since my last update,

To make it completely clear, the cause of the issue is not attributed to a contractual arrangement with our data provider and was a genuinely unforeseen issue.

As previously outlined, once the most viable solution to this issue has been determined I will update you all on this and investigation is continuing on this matter.

From a development perspective, any solution that may be implemented requires a significant alteration to the program code and will not be a rapid deployment in the form of a patch.

We’re being upfront here so that we’re all on the same page in regard to expectations, I can fully understand that it’s a frustrating position at this point in time and we are working on this.

I sincerely apologise again for the frustration and inconvenience this is causing.

Rav
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Andrew, as I've said repeatedly we are still working on this issue. Once more information comes to hand I will share it here.
(Edited)
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Rav, I'm confused.  Your previous post said the stock prices are no longer available - presumably because Reckon's contract with whomever has not been renewed.  So what are you "working on"?  Re-signing the contract would be a good start, but previously you said US downloads would not be available until PP 2017 is released.

Which is it?
Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

Rav

So contractual issues are not the reason which infers the data feed is available but not accessible.  Has the format of the data feed changed?  Did the environment change for either Reckon or the data provider over the weekend of the 28th/29th? i.e. were workloads moved to a cloud provider, Was the link changed or routed in a different way?  What exactly is the problem?

It's hard to accept that the issue is a "genuinely unforeseen issue". Testing before changes is a normal part of release or infrastructure planning in IT.  Something has changed and usually when changes are going to be made customers are advised so they can test for the the impact of those changes on their systems.  

If your software provider for a critical part of your solution suddenly changed something so that your systems stopped working you'd be screaming blue murder if you hadn't been given adequate warning (see para 2).  You'd demand a full explanation.

Accordingly, I think we deserve to know the reason or reasons the download doesn't work any more.  Then we can decide if your timetable is reasonable or not.

David
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

As you pointed out before David, smells like the ASX change all over again ;)
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Your posting just adds to the confusion, Rav.  If the stock prices are still available to Reckon, and your contract did not expire at the end of May, then what is the issue?

A simple, non technical explanation is all your users want to hear.
Photo of Decibel

Decibel

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
1. Purchase software due in part for its ability to auto update share prices
2. Pay for software update for 2016
3. After 5 months software no longer updates
4. Problem described as beyond software provider's control
5. Provided solution is to update manually (may as well go back to original financial spreadsheets)or wait for new software release in 2017 (and spend more money)
6. Appropriate solution: provide software refund as not as described, or provide appropriate patch!
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Agreed and it would be valid for Reckon to refund you, if this is your primary reason for using the software and now no longer works correctly and you have to move to another product.

If they fail to refund, you're still within your charge back window if it was a credit card purchase.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Absolutely, Decibel  Reckon's Customer Service, or lack of it, is off the scale.

They just don't seem to care.
Photo of Frank t

Frank t

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,
Have not commented since my US prices stopped downloading on the 17/5. As this is a significant reason in me using personal plus I must say that now I am getting quite frustrated. Please give this a serious push to have the issue resolved. 

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.