Why have US share prices stopped updating on Personal plus 2015?

• Problem
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Solved
Photo of Dave RH

Dave RH

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Len K

Len K

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav,
This is the first post from me. I have put up with this problem and in my opinion Reckon are taking our money and are not providing the service we pay for. When people raise an issue such as the current one all they get is obfuscation. We don't want to start messing around with firewalls and anti virus programs, manual updates etc. etc.
So PLEASE get your act together before your name becomes mud and your customers go elsewhere.
Len K.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

• 5,652 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hear, hear, Len
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,952 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Rav,

Rather that require us to purchase RPP 2017, why can't Reckon simply get an alternative source to update the information on the share price server that is being used to supply us users the price data.

You stated it was not a contractual restriction, so presumably the data server that RPP uses to provide us the updates is still available and all that is required is an alternative provider to update the RPP data server.

The excuses being provided just shouldn't be an issue, unless it is a contractual issue and Reckon has lost access to the data server (and has for a while known this would happen).

John

(Edited)
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Agree, John.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Come on Rav, just explain the situation.  Is it contractual, or technical?  Either should be fixable now.

Please just explain the problem.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
If its contractual, then its a easy fix, redo the contract or adjust the backend servers to a new source.

If its technical, then WHY has it stopped working now, what was changed and by who and why isn't a patch being issued to the clients or on the backend reckon servers to address the issues. Hello change control!?

Looking back over the months, these share/currencies price updating has been patchy as hell. Reckon really needs to sort its development side out, otherwise it won't have customers to pay for PP2017! I myself don't use PP2017, but if my PP2016 'broke' and was told to PAY for a new version to FIX it, then I would be seriously considering why I'm doing business with you for that kind of service.

Reckon, you can't treat your customers like this over and over and expect them to come back and BE customers.

You silent is deafening.....
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Spot on, Andrew.  I intend to write to the CEO and Chairman of Reckon complaining most strongly about their attitude and the damage that is being done to their reputation.
Photo of Decibel

Decibel

• 162 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Based on the large number of people suddenly and at the same time having issues, we know it is not a firewall or antivirus issue. Reckon have already told us it is an issue with their software "that is beyond their control" and it will be fixed by using PP2017. Now really this is taking the p**s!

What we want to know is:
1. When will a patch be forthcoming or
2. How we obtain a refund for software that no longer performs as promised?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 84,550 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Hello everyone,

I can fully appreciate the frustration that is being expressed on this thread in relation to this issue however as I've mentioned investigation is still ongoing and I will have further word on this to share next week.

I have outlined the cause of the issue already and contrary to the assertions made on this thread is not contractual. The data source is no longer available, this was not pre-planned nor foreseen.

The nature of the issue means that any potential solution requires a comprehensive alternation to the program code. As I've stated, this cannot be delivered rapidly in the form of a patch, I fully understand this comes as an immense source of frustration and disappointment for all affected however I will have further word on the course forward from here next week.

Thanks
Rav
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

So its NOT contractual as Reckon was never paying for the data source that has now gone away. Is that what your saying Rav?

As for delivering a fix and how, thats not really the users issues. They have paid for a feature that Reckon is now not delivering, how its fix, is Reckons issue. If Reckon have to release a R2016R2 product then so be it.

If its not going to be fixed until PP2017, then PP2016 users should receive either a refund for the RR2016 product or a FREE upgrade to PP2017.
Photo of Decibel

Decibel

I only upgraded to PP2016 six months ago.

The last thing I want to do is manually update stock prices for 6 months and then pay for a software upgrade to PP2017 to get software that works as stated again as one of its advertised investment features:

"Stock Price Quotes Download

The Download Quotes functionality in the Investing Centre which provides stock price quotes for your security portfolio has been enhanced and moved to a new technology platform. You will continue to receive the share price downloads if you upgrade to Reckon Accounts Personal range 2015"

"Download share prices daily from the ASX and NZX to stay up-to-date with the performance of your portfolio."

If the "data source is no longer available" then the software is not as advertised currently on the Reckon web page.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Rav, you mis-understand - the issue is "contractual".  You have a contract to supply downloads to your customers/users - if Reckon hasn't secured it's supply to honour that obligations then it is culpable.  You cannot claim that its loss is "unforseeable" without explanation.

Can you please explain exactly what the issue is.  Data is still available, as the NYSE is still functioning - Reckon is just not accessing it.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Rav,

Either Reckon still have access to the price download site or not ??

If not, how can that not be contractual ?

If you do have access, why can't you install an alternative service to update the data in the same format ? Then we can use RPP 2016 and see the price data as we did before.

The suggestion that we need RPP 2017 looks rubbish to me.

Even if you have lost the download site address, I am surprised if the site could not be replicated and the web address updated in RPP 2016.

Start feeding us some sensible answers.

John

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Reading between the lines, based on what Rav/Reckon has said I come up with this.

The data source is not a'contractual' issue in Reckons eyes as to the sounds of it, they never had a contract to use the data in the first place. But is one between Reckon and it's uses.

As that source has now gone away and they never knew Reckon was using it to begin with, they couldn't be notified in advance, hence why it was 'unforseeable' by Reckon.

Basically the free lunch is over and now Reckon need to source it elsewhere, but that requires work and Reckon don't believe in patching products already shipped, only selling new ones with 'bug fixes'.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

I do have some knowledge of this process and providing this data is not a difficult problem. I have written my own local update service for AU stocks. I tell the program how many years (not days!!) back it wants to go and it updates all codes that are missing price information within this date range. No 7 day limit !! The program then produces a .csv file for new, incomplete or incorrect data that is in the .qph file.

All the program needs is a set of price files for each year that is being reviewed. The ASX price history for 3 character codes is about 15 mb for a year's data. There are a number of sites that provide this data, which I can incorporate into my database when required, including All Ords and ASX 200. It looks like I shall now have to expand this for the US codes I have been reviewing.

I wrote this solution quicker than it took Reckon to fix one of many losses of data 18 months ago, so I am amazed at the skill level that Reckon is bringing to this problem.

John

(Edited)
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Andrew,

There are at least three types of data feeds that RPP use.

1. the ASX and NZ codes which are kept for only 7 days.

2. the currency data which I understand is only the latest exchange rate data, stored in RPP as the date it is downloaded.

3. the "Historical price" data, which is basically the US indices. These can update over a much longer period (could be 6 months), as I have had incorrect (zero) prices for Nasdaq replicated.

I am not familiar with how prices are updated for companies that are listed on other than the ASX.

I think that up to now the US indices and codes have been taken from the Quicken US site and possibly that has now been lost to Reckon users.

We never had the choice of being Quicken or Reckon users but I think the wrong choice was thrust upon us.

John

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Yes John I'm aware it's more than one single data item being provided by Reckon, but we are talking about the single one not working here, so let's ignore the working ones for now.

My bit above was how this could come about based on what Reckon is saying. Clearly they had no contract in place for the data they had been providing.

I've been questioning Reckons development skill level for many years now. They just don't seem to want to change, fix or address anything.

The quality of what new code comes out is shocking, have a look at the 'new' SMTP client in Reckon Accounts 2016. Looks like the work experience kid did it, no error checking, no saving of the password, forgot to update the manual on this new feature. Just poorly executed.
Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

• 552 Points 500 badge 2x thumb
Rav. Can we get a straight answer as to why the data feed service not longer works?

Either Reckon knew the data feed service was coming to an end or something was going to change in the environment for either party such that the data feed potentially would no longer work.  

If the former, when was Reckon advised?  If the latter, when did Reckon know and what testing was done?

David
Photo of Frank t

Frank t

• 242 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi Rav, I am not so interested as to why this happened but when it will be fixed. It has now been out for 3 weeks. Also a statement on an extension to our subscriptions would also be appropriate. Say, extend by the time out +50%. Gives Reckon a real incentive to fix it plus maybe will retain some of your increasingly dissatisfied customers,
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi everyone,

Work has been occurring throughout the week regarding this issue and is continuing as we speak today.
As I've said before this will not be a quick fix, and I fully understand that is of little consolation to those of you participating on this thread.

I won't be commenting on compensation etc at this point as work is ongoing at this stage, and once I have a clear picture on the course forward from here I will raise that subject for discussion with the team.

Bear with us, I appreciate that you're all disappointed and frustrated currently and I sincerely apologise.

Thank you all for your patience thus far.

Rav
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Rav, can you at least treat us like adults and explain exactly what the problem is?

Yes, we're disappointed and frustrated, but might be less so if you actually explained why you no longer have access to US prices.

Only telling us it's complicated and will take time to fix just doesn't make sense.  Please come clean.
Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

Guys

I don't think this will end well for us as a community.  Reckon's focus is not on us or this product line.  We're a legacy product with an annuity stream that is probably declining, if it were otherwise we'd see enhancements and immediate resourcing to solve issues such as the one we've just seen.

My bet is this will not get fixed so get used to manually importing or updating US prices.  I use finance.yahoo.com for price imports via Excel CSV files.  I also use Yahoo for charting as it's much more flexible than anything in Reckon PP.

I'm also sure that the annual subscription price will not be reduced and continue to increase over the years.

I look forward to Reckon proving me wrong.

David
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

I think you're right, David.

Have written to the CEO and Chairman personally to express frustration and ask whether they are committed to PP software.

Be interested to see if I get a response.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Will do, Andrew.  And if I don't. will post a copy of the letter on this Blog.
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

The next update I have in relation to this issue will be early next week. I will share it with the thread as soon as I can.

Thanks,
Rav
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Slow clap Reckon for removing my comment. Was just stating facts! Truly shows you're more about marketing hype than product development.

So what part didn't you like that needed removal?
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

• 83,826 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Keep the thread on topic Andrew.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

It was on topic Rav... Thats the bit that I don't understand..... anyhow its gone now. So lets move on as we're all looking forward to reckons reply with some ANSWERS to the many questions here that this topic has raised.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hmmm this thread over HERE is interesting.... https://community.reckon.com/reckon/t...

Looking at the last post, the user using wire tracing has tracked the issue down, to Reckon product doing a call to a Intuit server that is no longer serving the data.

So Rav...... Is this the SAME issue that we are seeing here as well? Reckon products talking to Intuit servers no longer serving up the data to the Aussies? :)
Photo of Decibel

Decibel

Not just the Aussies. PP2106 is not updating any stock prices but happily pulls down currencies.
Looks like either someone did not pay their bill or the free ride was discovered and termintated!
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,252 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
I am able to have my PP2016 update the Aussie stock prices...
1. Turn off all automatic updating (I suspect the broken US stock price update gets stuck and prevents PP from even attempting the processing for the Aussie one).
2. From the menu: Investing | Online Activities | Download Quotes. Voila.
Yes, Narky One.  That is the right process to still get CURRENCY plus AUSSIE STOCKS,  by deliberately unticking the US stocks which are presently at issue.   But for those who weren't interested in US stocks,  this approach permits business as usual for the other two.   Correct.   It's a good workaround for those who aren't dealing in US stocks, but still want daily downloads of the other two.

Gary
(Edited)
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Hi everyone,

As I've mentioned previously, the Development team have been continuing work regarding this issue and have formulated a potential solution which bypasses the need for a code change.

Can I please ask that you follow the steps outlined below -

Steps to fix the issue: -

1) Close Reckon Accounts Personal

2) Download http://downloads.reckon.com.au/qwutil.dll

3) Copy the above file into your Reckon Personal 2015 or 2016 installation folder (by default this would be C:\\Program Files\Reckon Accounts Personal)

4) When you get the message saying qwutil.dll already exists. Do you want to replace it?' select 'Yes'

5) Once the file has been saved, open Reckon Accounts Personal and you will be able to download US Share Prices.

Please let me know if you encounter any issues with the US downloads after completing the steps above.

Thanks

Rav

Photo of David Hynd

David Hynd

Thanks Rav.  Worked for me.

David
Good news, Rav !

replacement:  qwutil.dll  now sorts out reaching Markit On Demand late today
over at 209.234.234.183.   All good - with history too.

Gary
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

My system [RAPP 2016, Windows 10 Pro] has two qwutil.dll's :-
1. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Reckon Accounts Personal, date 13/10/15, size 3,623,448
2. In C:\Program Files (x86)\Reckon Home Inventory Manager, date 23/07/14, size 3,584,000.
Your instructions say to replace the one in "Accounts Personal".
Should we also replace the one in "Home Inventory Manager"?
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

I downloaded http://downloads.reckon.com.au/qwutil.dll using Edge. Edge said:
Narky One

That's OK.  That's a standard warning by most browser programs (depending on the paranoia setting for secuity/.blocking/protection desires by the site setup) .

Any file that can potentially carry a malware (virus, spyware, adware etc etc)  infection,  or execute code in any way (such as a  exe   or    dll)  will trigger a warning to protect you.

For years,  the safe practice of NOT emailing  DOC and XLS  files that often carried macro virus in the old days, were also warned/blocked.   Those days have moved on, with the main interest being keystroke logger and all manner of white collar crime spyware like invasive code to gouge your contact lists and record your browser logins and so forth.   

Against that desired protection, many an ISP and mail server provider leans towards wanting to distribute email and data irrespective of the underlying risks, because the  average consumer feels they are entitled to just get whatever email is being sent to them.  Then the anti-spam question arises,  and users can't decide whether they want to get incorrectly blocked email as spam, or reduce their clutter/junk/spam.

ALl these combinations of prtection, detection , fear and restriction, all set at Windows level,  email level, browser level and then added protection levels of antiXXX tools like McAfee, Norton, MalwareBytes, Kapersky, AVG, Webroot..... thee list is very long.... they all get to have their day in deciding whether your nxt action is a safe one or not.

Enough of the theory....   You have to trust the SOURCE, and you have to ensure you are really fetching the file from the alleged source it purports to be,  In this case of qwutil.dll,  so long as it is a bonafide email from a known trusted source  (Rav),  then you proceed.

Cheers

Gary Pope
m: 0408994799 
e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
     independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"
Photo of Rav

Rav, Community Manager

Replacing the DLL within the Accounts Personal folder will be sufficient.
Photo of Glenn C

Glenn C

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Thank you Rav - this worked fine for me and I can now download the US stock prices.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Thanks, Rav.  That has worked - downloaded 5 days of prices, ie last week's.
Photo of Diver Dave

Diver Dave

Should have added that the rest of the missing prices can be downloaded by using the "Download Historical Prices" tab in Portfolio View.
Photo of Dave RH

Dave RH

• 170 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks Rav took a while but at least it is working again! Let us hope that is the last gremlin that we will get.
Photo of Decibel

Decibel

Replacing the dll in PP2016 worked for me as well. Thanks for the solution Rav.
Photo of Len K

Len K

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Halleluya!!!
Photo of Shane Smith

Shane Smith

• 322 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
I didn't even realise the U.S. prices were not updating until a couple of days ago, and even after contacting Reckon the support guy could not point me to this thread. 

Why can't Reckon email all users (they have my email address) and let them know there is a problem and what the solution is?

My price updates have now resumed but the whole process is not satisfactory.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.