Photo of Tonys Tyres

Tonys Tyres

• 762 Points 500 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Shane

Shane, Employee

• 7,448 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
Hi Tony,

Thanks for your question.  It's actually a really good question, it doesn't seem to make any sense that it says it can't print when your not even trying to print but email!  But when you understand what is happening in the back ground when you tell the software to email, it actually does make sense. When you tell it to email it first needs to convert your invoice into a PDF using a printer called QuickBooks V# PDF Converter (#=version number).  If that printer is not working it cant make the PDF so it says "Can't print to printer".

The most common cause for this is the printer is using the wrong port (UNLESS you are using Reckon Accounts 2014 which has fixed this problem.  So it must be a permissions problem - To Fix: Run the program as Administrator as per instructions further down this post..  

If using any other version such as 2013 or earlier create the new printer port as per these instructions:

1. Click Start >
  2. Select Control Panel  >
  3. Click Devices and Printers >
  4. Right click on QuickBooks V# PDF Converter (#=version) >
  5. Choose Printer Properties >
  6. Click Ports >
  7. Click Add Port >
  8. Select Local Port >
  9. Click New Port >
  10. Enter the name as reckonv#pdf (#=version number - eg: "reckonv4pdf") >
  11. Click OK >
  12. Click Close >
  13. Click Apply >
  14. You should now see a tick next to this printer >
  15. Click OK >
  16. Reboot the PC >

Try to email your invoice again.  ###Note: If using Windows 8 or 8.1 you also need to run the program as Administrator.

1. Go to your desktop >
  2. Right click on the Reckon Accounts\QuickBooks icon >
  3. Choose Properties >
  4. Click Compatibility >
  5. Tick "Run this program as Administrator" >
  6. Click OK >
  7. Always run the program from this icon >
Unless there are other problems relating to other things it should now work.

There are generic steps you follow on the Reckon KB system (KB = Knowledge Base) that include a bunch of other steps that usually are not needed. http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4897

Also there is a good community post under Reckon FAQs on this subject. https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/a9l45bkc1h76t 

Personally I have never had to do any more than the steps I have given to get the PDF function working so try that first, if you still get the error go to the KB and community post and try the extra steps they give.

Good luck Tony, I hope this helps and you don't encounter any other issues.  Let me know how it goes fingers crossed.

Regards,
Shane.