Windows 10 and Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
Have just updated to Windows 10 and am using Personal Plus 2015. The Reckon program opens but gives the following message "The current user does not have the privileges to open this data file". The file name in the dialogue box is correct and its location is also correct. I am logged in as the Administrator but not sure how to tell the system I am the correct account holder.
Any suggestions greatly received.

Thanks

Vivian
Photo of Vivian Bliss

Vivian Bliss

• 80 Points 75 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Vivian

This sounds like the recent Windows 10 upgrade has introduced a set of login credentials that differ to those that (despite same login name)  were in place for ownership/access to the database.

a)  Don't mess with the original file in case the next steps are harmful

b) copy the data file to a totally new file name/location that is accessible as a TEST AREA for the next step.

c) On the COPY of the file made in (b),  right click the security properties of the file, and enable fulla ccess for the current windows 10 user that you want to be,

d)  test out whether the program allows you to open the TEST file.

All I'm encouraging here,  is to perform a sideline test to establish whether the problem is:
1.  A ownership/permissions issue witht eh actual FILE (at a Windows level)
2. And if that is NOT the case,  then further research is needed.

But try writing test transaction,s test emails, test report so on the test file,  before ever contemplating making the changes to the real file. 

ALWAYS have a backup, and ALWAYS have a fallback position and ALWAYS do a test ion the side, before directly poking at a production data file, program or system setting.

Hopefully this sideline test will help to find out what the likely CAUSE of the problem is,  and then seek professional IT help to identify the course of action to take next, before touching the real files

Gary Pope
An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
and retired FCPA Accountant"
Photo of Michael Barrington

Michael Barrington

• 70 Points
I am having a similar problem . I have just reinstalled personal Plus 2015 onto windows 10. It now does not recognise my database when attempting to reinstall my data. Can anyone give me some suggestions??
Michael.

A little more info would help......

a)  Have you got Win 10 running (assumed:yes)

b)  Did you upgrade from an older version of Windows, or is this a brand new machine/installation of Win 10?

c)  You say you 'reinstalled' PP2015.  Why?   

d)  Were you running an older version of PP 20xx  on the same machine before hand, perhaps?

e)   OR:  Did you think there was some problem with PP2015, and re-installed it again for some reason?

f)  The real question relates to you comment:  "NOT RECOGNISE MY DATABASE"...... what do you mean by that?    Are you able to run the PP2015 program at all?

g)  If you can run the program,  you need to open a database: TRUE.  But is there some error message that then pops up,  or are you trying to read an OLDER version of the database,   OR  is your copy of the database FILE perhaps corrupted?

h)  If there is any possibility of a corrupted database,   do you have a BACKUP?
     (NEVER USE the backup directly!!!).  Copy it first as a different NAME (with say 'test' as part of the name) and try restoring accessing that so that you still have your real backup, up your sleeve.

Let us know where you are at with all that,  and we're all in a better position to understand your position.

Cheers!

Gary Pope
m: 0408994799 
An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
     independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"
Photo of Michael Barrington

Michael Barrington

• 70 Points
Thanks Gary, I had to change the file format before it accepted my new database ( had to reformat computer due to some problems) Thanks  Lyndal