Windows 10 / Reckon 2015

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
Windows 10 upgrade - Reckon 2015 - unable to email invoices / payslips!  And no satisfactory answer here!  Please Reckon, we would like a solution now please.

Thank you!
Photo of ADMC

ADMC

• 280 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi ADMC

Thanks for asking the Reckon Community.

As our current releases are not fully compatible with the new Windows 10 operating system you will need to make a few configuration adjustments to make it work.

For emailing issues see our guide at Best practice for Save as PDF and Emailing in Reckon Accounts Business 2013.  The steps here apply to running current editions on newer operating systems.  

Please click on this link for our statement on Reckon Accounts and Windows 10.

Hope this gets you running soon.  

regards,
John

Photo of Colin

Colin

• 180 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi John
I have just gone to windows 10 and upgraded my Personal Plus to 2015.
In the process I have lost my share price history after upgrading .I have backed up my data before on an external drive but cant seem to copy and paste the lost data to the new file. Can you help Thanks
Colin
Photo of Tim Spillman

Tim Spillman

• 3,726 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
Win 10 upgrade, Reckon Premier 2015, Outlook 2010.

Emailing work fine, Must run Reckon Account as Administrator, Make sure PDF printer port is not shared, Make sure Outlook is open before emailing(see below). Make sure 'Display each email when sending more than one' in Preferences > Online > Company Preferences is untick.

No need to run in compatibility mode.

Outlook 2010 Issue:

ISSUE: RA not responding or cannot open Outlook after sending email from RA.

Problem: QBW32.exe Background Processes (Even after exiting RA) still attached to Outlook Data file, locking the file.
Immediate Fix: Right Click start menu click 'Task Manager' On the Processes Tab go to 'Background Processes' then look for 'Reckon Accounts (32bit)' right click and click 'end task'.
Workaround: Open Outlook before attempting to send email.
Photo of Tim Spillman

Tim Spillman

Make sure 'Display each email when sending more than one' in Preferences > Online > Company Preferences is untick.
You don't need to does this if you run Outlook as administrator, however the reason why application no longer run at elevated levels is for a very good reason.

ADMC:

The notes that John G suggested,  work well.  I've just followed them by
a) building a complete Windows 10 PRO system   (23/8/15 latest download vers)
b) installing Office 2013 Office for Outlook
c) installing Reckon Accounts Premier 2015 R2
d) using the SAMPLE company to generate an email of an invoice.

John G's  (reckon Community)  full notes worked perfectly.  

NOTE:  Tim.   I saw a note within John G's notes that stipulated NOT to run in compatibility mode, and to just tick the run as administrator aspect.  I've done a screen shot of that selection,  and also a screenshot for the solution running, to assist you.

Cheers

Gary Pope

An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
"Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
      independent IT Professional
 and retired FCPA Accountant"

(Edited)
Photo of Tim Spillman

Tim Spillman

Question? If you send an email using Office 2013 from RA without opening outlook 1st, does it lock the outlook file?

Yes knew it was in Johns notes, but it amazing how many people try that 1st.
Photo of ADMC

ADMC

Hi everyone!  Thank you for your help...  FYI - I Rang Reckon support and the solution to my issue was as follows..
Close Outlook and close Reckon.
Right click on Outlook icon - Properties - Compatibility - check "Run this program as an administrator"
Right click on Reckon icon - Properties - Compatibility - check "Run this program as an administrator"

My problem was solved using this method
ADMC - I'm glad you're solved,   and frankly,  I feel it is also important to point out that information was available from the search as well,  would you now agree?

Gary
Photo of ADMC

ADMC

Hi Gary - I would agree - trouble is that for those (me in particular)  who get "uptight" when systems don't operate as expected, I am afraid that it is difficult to see the way clear.  I did try a couple of the options and the result was not satisfactory.  You are all amazing and familiar with the system, so what appears as a simple fix for you is simply "fog" for me, I needed the voice on the end of the phone guiding me through the fix....   I do thank you all again for everyone's valuable time xx
Thanks for the courtesy of the whole followup.  This is the team spirit we're trying to see and engender here,  and at the same time, pin-point the real issues for everyone to get a better experience with their products - no matter what the source of the query.  Thankyou ADMC!   Gaz
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
welcome to the "Run this program as an administrator" bandaid.... hopefully Reckon fixes this bandaid issue in the next releases!
Photo of Tim Spillman

Tim Spillman

What's even funnier is, they could add a line of code to the Launcher to run as admin, so no users have to deal with it. Release the patch for a quick fix.

Remember when there was up to 8 releases per year, now we get 2 maybe 3, 1 which is tax tables. Really have to wonder what the high price is for.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

I've been wondering what the high price is for now for many years Tim. Look at the release notes for the new products, its pretty slim pickings.

The biggest 'change' we have had recently was basically slapping a Reckon Logo on it a few years ago. Its all cloud cloud cloud!

Bring on 2016 release and prove me wrong!
(Edited)
Photo of Sharmaine Pearton

Sharmaine Pearton

• 90 Points 75 badge 2x thumb
Why can’t I Save to PDF or Email with Reckon 2015 and Window's 10?  This did not work for me - any more ideas....so frustrating!!
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Sharmaine - have you tried this KB on issues for Emailing/Creating PDF’s

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.as...
Photo of Tony S

Tony S

• 112 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Tim, surely adding a line of code to make any piece of software force itself to run as an administrator is a massive security concern for Microsoft?
Photo of Tim Spillman

Tim Spillman

Running elevated programs on windows is not a concern for Microsoft never has been, it's a concern to their clients. Bad PR when crap goes wrong and the user blames them and not themselves for opening something nasty. This is why UAC was invented.

Adding a line of code to run elevated is the same as ticking a box on a shortcut, the user still has to ok the UAC prompt. Doing this would take all the hassle away from RA users having to do it.

I would question why it requires to run elevated, but QB / RA has always been like that and yes it shouldn't require it. I would say RA in its current state has lots of band aids on it probably features to the to hard basket each day.

For Example: do a search for QBW.INI How many do you find? 4
Why is there more than 1, having 4, some with information in them double up, would have to be poor practice at any standard. Maybe 2 with default installation settings and one with user settings. But 4 smell like some dirty bandaids.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Correct Tim, its band aid on band aid, on band aid. Its also built from the USA code base from a while ago now, and tweaked to death for Aus/NZ tax rules, so more band aids. Now that Reckon doesn't have access to the 'new code' anymore, as they ended the deal with intuit a few years back they have to write it all themselves. which isn't happening.

You can see this in the release notes since the Quickbooks branding went away and the Reckon Accounts branding appeared. Its pretty much stagnant in new features.

It was once a great product, but missed the 'rewrite' cycle that lots of products got years ago, and it shows today. Look at the email/printing side of things. Depending on which part of RA you try this in, there are many different dialog boxes!

Reckon One is meant to be the replacement, but sadly it can't even do statements after 2 years.....
Photo of ARC BookKeeping

ARC BookKeeping, Accredited Partner

• 6,344 Points 5k badge 2x thumb
I have my first Customer come to me with Win10 issues with emailing, so it will be interesting to see if any of this helps... also going to try this forum notes.. just in case. will give any thing a go!

Cheers
Angie Carlyle
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

• 3,340 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Just a gentle reminder. Refer to
https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reckon-accounts-and-windows-10

"We expect a full test of Reckon Accounts to be completed by the end of August. At which time we will provide an update via the Knowledge Browser & the Community"

Patiently waiting.....

Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,252 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Did you mean:  I'm-patiently waiting?
Photo of Wade McCarthy

Wade McCarthy

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Hi guys, i have read the latest statement from Reckon about windows 10 here: https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/windows-10-and-reckon-accounts-update

However, we are running a pc setup as a Reckon server, with 4 clients. Each has a network drive mapped to the share on the server to access the company file.  

When I run Reckon as an administrator, it no longer sees the mapped network drives, as when you map them it would have been under the current user.

I have already tried all fixes on from here: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4897

Is there a way around this? As it is very frustrating not being able to email invoices from Reckon.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hey Wade,

Welcome to the world of pain, also called Reckon and Windows 10!

Yes when running at admin, that program won't see the mapped drives, but there is a fix for it.

This site gives you the fix, should apply to Windows 10 as well. Happy registry tweaking!

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-au/l...
Photo of John G

John G, Information Support Analyst

• 27,510 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks Andrew,

The fix works nicely.

regards,
John.
Photo of Wade McCarthy

Wade McCarthy

• 200 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Thanks for your help Andrew, for some reason that didn't work for me. 

I ended up just creating a shortcut on the desktop to \\server\share  and then when I opened Reckon as an admin, I could browse through this shortcut to find the company file on the server
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

People need to be aware.....
Info from Microsoft blog website about Windows 10 upgrades
Looks like Microsoft will get more “pushy” about it.
Maybe more aggressive “nags” and “pop-ups”
Reckon users need to be cautious

Personally I am resisting and waiting for RA2016....

One wrong mouse click could start the upgrade process....
Read the full document here

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Falling on deaf ears Steve if you wanted anyone at Reckon to hear you. As you should very well know from this thread 7 months ago. Which has been closed off due to the comments Reckon didn't like that kept appearing.

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/t...
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Yes Andrew that's why I put it here. Not for Reckon's benefit. More for Reckon users who might un-wittingly initiate the upgrade
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Yeah but sadly by the time those 'whoops' upgrade users come here, its too late :(

But thats ok, Think of the $$$$ Reckon will be able to charge everyone to get on the 2016 product range, the books will be booming next year that will make this years 6% growth look tiny!

I mean locking users in and ramping up licencing costs year on year has worked well for them. For example the RPP2016 product had a >24% hike in the renewal, for no reason this year. So I'll be sitting down when I open the renewal email for our >$1.2k licencing renewal from last year.

http://blog.reckon.com/reckon-double-...
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Windows 10 upgrades seem to be installing by default on some computers. I saw 2 yesterday.

Not sure, early days yet
But it seems to be affecting Windows 7 Home and Windows 8 Home versions.
EG Windows Home Basic, Home Premium
Professional editions of Windows still seem to be optional (at the moment)

How to check:

Right-click on "Computer" and select "Properties". This will tell if you have a "Home" or "Professional" edition.

Open Windows Updates
Click "Optional Updates"
On "Home" versions of Windows, Windows 10 Upgrade is ticked by default
And may upgrade to Windows 10 automatically

You need to un-tick this update to avoid Windows 10
Beware ! It will re-tick itself, so need on-going checking
Until you are ready for Windows 10

I'm guessing only a matter of time until Professional versions do the same....

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

This issue has been around for a while. I've found machines that when you manually go check the Windows Updates -> "Optional Updates" area, the upgrade is ticked by default. This was on Windows 7 Pro/Ultimate machines.

I tracked it down to that the user had reserved the windows 10 upgrade. So it downloaded in the background and was ready to be applied, they had been been ignoring the upgrade prompt.

You can go back in and cancel your reserved upgrade, so its not ticked in the future BTW. When you're ready, you can start the free upgrade by going back in and saying yes again.
(Edited)
Steve 

FYI... (possibly seen before)

the forcing of regular system updates has been a concern to a lot of users.   Some are basd on fears of fresh code not being fully compatible with the uncountable number of application software combinations that users around the world use, and whether it will impact their business/activities next day.  Some users cite privacy and rights issues, declaring they'd prefer to decide which updates and when to apply them.  IE: to try and control their installations.

The Windows 10 decision to not have options to disable the auto-system-updates came as a surprise early in BETA distributions/customer awareness, for sure.

Here's an article that tries to address this:
http://www.techtimes.com/articles/79758/20150829/how-to-stop-receiving-forced-updates-on-windows-10....

Cheers

Gary
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

There is one way to stop the 'free' upgrade and thats by joining the machine to a domain. Domain machines don't get the free upgrade. So a lot of those business Pro clients fall into this category.

TIP you can take the machine out of the domain, do the upgrade and put it back in again ;)
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Yes Andrew this is correct for "Reserved" computers. The two I saw yesterday were not "reserved. I checked.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Well that is a bit worrying!
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

I can see why MS is doing forced upgrade Gary. Its trying to keep the fleet of Windoze boxes from turning into massive fleets of zombie bots again!

A few things though, the forced updates only apply to standalone machines. If you're a business and want full control over your updates, then slap the machine in a domain and use the business updating tools to control the updates.

Fears of fresh code not being fully compatible with applications only apply to companies that make sub standard software and are slow to react at fixing bugs. Sadly Reckons 'yearly' bug fix cycle falls smack bang into that!

Out of all the software I use, Reckon is top of the list for worst performing & most buggy on Windows 10!
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Also I believe "Home" versions of Windows cannot join a domain. I stand to be corrected as I haven't used "Home" versions for several years.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Correct Steve, home can't be joined to domains. Businesses that worry about these kind of things though, will be using pro/ent versions. So shouldn't be a issue.

Its the tiny mum and dad places with a handful of machines that will have issues. As they brought them from Harvey Norman and they came with 'home'. Oh wait... this sums up a large chunk of Reckons userbase!

Windows 10 home is pretty good. MS rolled a lot into it now days, its basically just missing the domain/group policy features

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/WindowsForBusiness/Compare
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.