Windows 10 Upgrades

Options
Steve Cook
Steve Cook Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
edited September 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

I am hearing from a few clients that Windows 10 is happening automatically with no interaction from the user.

If this is true, Reckon need to be prepared for a flood of posts here, and a flood of support calls.

How close is Reckon Accounts 2016 ?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,384 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Steve,

I've seen some reports on social media etc that some users on Windows 7 have been experiencing an automatic upgrade to Windows 10.

The Reckon Accounts 2016 Business range is expected early April which will be fully Windows 10 compatible.

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Robert Hennig
    Robert Hennig Member Posts: 5
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I use the GWX control panel on all my clients - this allows you to prevent WIN10 upgrades. It runs as a service and allows you to remove almost 6 GB of hidden files.
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Good news Rav.  Somehow I don't think that the flood of support calls is likely to be any greater than what is has been for the past 4 - 6 months, judging from all of the posts on this site.  At least there are now documented fixes on this forum which should be able to help those who now might unwittingly end with with Windows 10 before they wanted it to happen.  Rav, I am not sure if you have this set up anywhere, but it could be a good idea to have the suggested fixes put into a knowledge base item for easy reference, so that anybody who raises issues can be quickly directed to where they need to go to implement a likely solution.  John L G
  • Steve Cook
    edited September 2020
    Options

With so much confusion and compatibility issues about Reckon and Windows 10
    Can I suggest Reckon give customers a clear procedure for the 2016 upgrade

For example:

Upgrade to Windows 10, then Upgrade Reckon
    OR
    Upgrade Reckon, then upgrade to Windows 10

• Jason Hollis
    Jason Hollis Alumni Posts: 516 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Steve,

I have been testing a final release of Reckon Accounts 2016 today against Win 10 64-bit with no issues. I can also confirm that I can email using outlook 2010 & 2013 without error or the need to run as "administrator".

The release to customers is currently scheduled for April 4.

Regards,
    Jason Hollis
  • Steve Cook
    edited March 2016
    Options
  • Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Send me a free copy and I will happily take a look Steve :)

ps. Yes QA have tested with Outlook 2016. I have not personally tested as above.
  • Steve Cook
    edited March 2016
    Options

Thanks Jason. So bearing in mind Reckon activation issues after Win-10 upgrade (See elsewhere is this forum), what will be the recommended upgrade process ?

My main computer is Win 8.1 Pro, Office Pro 2016. Ready for Win-10, just waiting for RA2016....

My best guess is:
    1. (Obviously) Backup EVERYTHING ! Allow significant downtime (several hours). If possible plan to upgrade on a weekday in case need to call Reckon Support.
    2. Upgrade to Win-10
    3. Upgrade Reckon. Do you recommend un-install old, then install new, or just do upgrade ?
    4. Activate Reckon

• Debra Ann De Reeper
    Debra Ann De Reeper Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Windows just updated on my laptop and I am now unable to open my QDF file in Personal Plus (latest version) as reckon doesn't recognize my computer.  It is saying this is not the computer originally installed but for this version it is as we now have a mac as our desktop so cannot be installed on that so was installed on this laptop!!
  • Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Steve, this is my personal advice:

1. Update from Win 7 took several hrs. Completed on a weekend and operated on other devices whilst update performed. Also note one of my machines (mini-server) had a network card that was hardwired to the motherboard, and the driver for that card failed, so I had to rollback to Win 7. Be prepared to test everything before committing to Win 10 (ps. The rollback took a while but was painless).

2. Rebuild the Reckon Company File(s). Backup (QBB) the Reckon Company File(s) [with FULL verify] and also copy images from the public folder (for your templates) if you have them (ready to paste back in after the upgrade if necessary).

3. Uninstall Reckon Accounts (full uninstall using something like Revo-Uninstaller) incl any old versions you have. Search Reckon KB for 'clean un-install' for additional notes on this process. 

4. Upgrade to Win 10

5. Install Reckon 2016 (this will be a clean install by default as the win 10 update should not bring across any legacy files or registry entries). 

6. Activate Reckon

NOTE

I have added step 3 as this is how I would personally complete the upgrade for a client. I am sure forum users may give different advice, and most certainly I updated 1 machine (parents business) without uninstalling Reckon 2015 and it worked fine (except for the email conflict).

Step 3 is to ensure you start with no legacy Reckon data on Win 10, but that being said, we always recommend a clean un-install between version updates for that very reason.

UAC has created issues for some users. I turn this off. Again, this is a personal decision.

I stress this is a personal advice from experience and not advice from Reckon. Do your research and make sure you are comfortable with the steps I outlined before proceeding. If not, call in an expert such as one of our Accredited Partners.

Kind regards,
    Jason
  • Jenni Drum-Symes
    Jenni Drum-Symes Member Posts: 4
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Reckonaccounts 2016 launcher has stopped working since updating to Winows 10 ... how do i fix it so i can do the BAS
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Jenni,

Welcome to the Reckon Community and I'm sorry you are experiencing this issue.

Let me confirm that the error occurred on your first attempt to open Reckon Accounts Personal range 2016 after the PC was upgraded to Windows 10.

Firstly, restart your PC and try again.

If the problem persists then the upgrade corrupted some installation files.  You will need to clean un-install and re-install your programme.  Click here for a guide.

Hope to have you in your datafile very soon.  

regards,
    John.
  • Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 474 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Options

Hi everyone.  Just helped a client over the phone with the Personal Range after computer automatically upgrades to Windows 10.  First message that appears suggests it's not the same computer CLICK YES.  Second screen that appears choose STEP 2 and Automatically apply.

Will depend I am thinking on your current version of Reckon.

Hopefully this is the same for others.

Reagrds, Robyn Kelly 

• Debra Ann De Reeper
    Debra Ann De Reeper Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Thanks! Ended up being a combination of both advice! Re-entered licence number a couple of times but when I reopened personal plus it would ask again! So I reinstalled 2015 version and has stuck this time. I already had Windows 10, it was a Windows 10 update that caused the issue. Thankfull all back to normal and files remained intact
  • Jason Hollis
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Thanks for posting the update Debra. It really helps other users and it's what the community is all about.

Jason
  • Terry Badke
    Terry Badke Member Posts: 1
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I have Personal 2010 - foes that mean an update to Windows 10 means an update to a 2016 Reckon product is required to fix the problem