Windows 10 - Will Reckon desktop products be FULLY COMPATIBLE ?

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

Windows 10 is to be released later this year. Microsoft have stated will be a free upgrade for Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1.

As it will be free there will be a mass migration to windows 10.

Can RECKON please test and assure all customers that RECKON desktop products will be compatible.

If there are issues, then RECKON customers need to be clearly advised BEFORE WINDOWS 10 IS RELEASED

Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

• 3,340 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 49,892 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Steve mate, I'm pretty sure Reckon 2016 will be. There isn't any reason why prior releases would be or indeed should be. I cannot believe there are still users still running XP but I see this about once a week. 
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

• 22,222 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
While I sort of agree, I sort of also disagree. Reckon is aware of a massive change coming to its user install base from Windows 7/8 -> Windows 10. Reckon should be reviewing their current and RECENT product releases to see if there are any 'quick' patches they can release to make sure they work on Windows 10.

Not everyone is on a yearly upgrade path with reckon and yes not everyone will be upgrading to Windows 10 and yes they should be 'testing' this before they upgrade. BUT a lot of reckons customers are SOHO businesses who don't follow these processes. Little Jimmy clicks 'yes' to upgrade to Windows 10 and the world falls apart.

But that said, from what I have seen, if it works under Windows 8/8.1 at least, it should* work under Windows 10.

*should is the key word!
(Edited)
Photo of Kevin Russell

Andrew mate, I respectfully could not disagree more. You can download Virtual machine if you want or you can do what I do and run Windows 7 in a separate partition. Reckon don't make software to run on Dos or Windows 3.1 any longer. And I don't expect them to. 
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Kevin Mate, the average user would have no idea how to run reckon in a virtual machine, nor should they have to.

I'm not saying support a 23 year old OS like Windows 3.1, I said RECENT, I even put it in CAPITALS for people like you to see it. So unless you consider DOS and Windows 3.1 recent, stop being argumentative.

Basically any of reckons software that runs today on Windows 7/8/8.1 should be tested/patched and at a bare minimum a status page put up of what will work and what won't work on Windows 10. As these OS's will have a free (and pretty automatic) upgrade to Windows 10.
(Edited)
Photo of Kevin Russell

Andy it's a pity you missed my point. Windows 7 is almost six years old. That's an eternity in technology terms. And there is nothing stopping anyone from operating 7 and 10 in a dual boot environment. In fact it would be advisable on ms previous form. At least until 10.1
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

and you missed my point Kev.... This 6 year old OS aka Windows 7 will be upgraded for FREE to Windows 10 in a semi automatic way. so any Reckon software that is on it will come along for the ride.

Once again, Reckons 'key' market and your your 'main' customer base would have no ideas about dual booting. I'm pretty sure you won't be able to 'dual boot' between Windows 7 and Windows 10 on the free upgrade path. But hey think of the support calls you will be getting $$$$
Photo of Kevin Russell

Andy mate well we shall see. The last upgrade of an operating system I did was from 95 to 98. It did not end well. I have not attempted to do that since. I'm pretty sure you will be able to dual boot by the way. I disagree about the level of tech proficiency of my Reckon clients as well. I support dozens of them. If they can't fix things I will support them remotely.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Kev Mate, just cause you don't do upgrades, doesn't mean other people don't. Anyhow, we're way off track here. So until Reckon comes up with something and MS releases W10, then its all just hearsay.
Photo of Sandy Cee

Sandy Cee

• 120 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
I so AGREE with you Andrew. I am a SOHO and would not know the vaguest way to do a dual boot. The same would go with my many clients. Nor SHOULD they have to even think of that. You are WAY TOO AIRY FAIRY Kevin. Get out there in the real world!
Photo of alainpaulr

alainpaulr

• 142 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Experience tells me that Reckon software will be compatible. However and this is a big worry, current bugs like updating share price impossible since 19th of February will not be fixed. So we will have compatible bugs. Hardly an achievement in my view.

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Its the reckon way..... Upgrade to 'fix' bugs in older software!
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Guys your comments are valid, but not addressing the original question. You have made a simple question very complex. I am a computer technician and can understand, but the vast majority of RECKON customers are just users of the product and cannot understand these comments.

Can someone at RECKON please clearly respond to the original question ?

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Its more of a question that should be asked DIRECTLY to Reckon and not via one of the community support forums that are half monitored by Reckon.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Hi All, I've raised this one our developers who has advised the following;

Although win10 will not be supported - the products should work. We are still testing with win10 tech preview - as there is no official date for the final release we are unsure if there will be any issues with the final version. At this point we have found no faults - in saying this Win 10 is not yet available (only the Tech Preview) and thus things could change.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Great news, and yes we all agree that Windows 10 isn't out yet, but is coming! :)
Photo of Dima

Dima

• 250 Points 250 badge 2x thumb

Hi Mirko,

I have Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015 and it and its pervious version run in Windows 8.1 but are incompatible with Internet Explorer 11 which crashes if Reckon is open. This is a long standing problem which has not yet been fixed. I don't hold much hope on any of the two versions of IE which will be available in Win10 in late July to fix the problem. Do you know if the tests to which you refer include the compatibility with the associated internet explorers?

Dima 

Photo of Kevin Russell

Dima no one should be using Internet Explorer 11. It's just too flaky. I stick to Chrome or an old version of Firefox in a pinch. I also have up to date anti virus. IE 11 is too slow to be considered business grade
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Dima, for a more helpful response. Have you confirmed this issue is reproducible on different machines or just your machine?

If you use another browser brand (firefox/chrome) does the issue still occur?

Have you logged a support request with Reckon? If not, any reason why?
Photo of Dima

Dima

Thanks Kevin. Are you able to do any compatibility tests on the replacement (Spartan?) for IE in Windows 10?

Dima

Photo of Dima

Dima

Hi Andrew,

The problem has been reported previously by others, see Knowledgebase  ID 5053 "Internet Explorer v11 crashes when Reckon Accounts Personal range is launched in Windows 8.1"

The solution proposed there, I think, is quite ridiculous for a responsible company to make when dealing with the most used browser. That is the reason I personally have not logged a support request.

The problem does not arise when I use Chrome.

Dima

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Yeah well thats pretty crap. Buts its the 'new' reckon. They only care about the cloud products now. The desktop products are dead to them and are all in 'maintenance' mode.

I'm waiting to see how all the '2015' product range goes for Windows 10. Lets hope they did SOME testing against the betas before releasing them this year.

We are a big user of Reckon Accounts/Point of Sale. Every year it stays the same and falls behind. Its now failing to do things we REQUIRE it to do. I don't feel we are getting value for our money.
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

"They only care about the cloud products now. The desktop products are dead to them and are all in 'maintenance' mode"

Andrew I agree with this. I am an Advantage member. I have used all QuickBooks/Reckon desktop versions since 2008.

I was involved in beta testing a couple years ago. Basically all my comments and suggestions were ignored. Some issues have persisted over several versions. And some new issues have emerged in 2015

I will not be moving to the cloud for various reasons:

Not everyone has access to good internet access, necessary for using cloud products. In regional areas, NBN is still years way.

Reading this forum, I see so many issues with the cloud product, I am glad I never went this way

So I am basically locked into desktop products in foreseeable future

The imminent arrival of Windows 10 will only add more issues to the mix

Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Mirko: "Although win10 will not be supported - the products should work."

Mirko we are now 1 month from release of Windows 10. A CLEAR RESPONSE is needed to the original title of this thread, and clearly communicated to ALL Reckon customers

"Windows 10 - Will Reckon desktop products be FULLY COMPATIBLE ?"

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Oh good to hear I'm not the only one who feels like this about Reckon and the desktop products. Now they have moved them all over to 'yearly' subscriptions, I feel even more ripped off if these products that don't improve.

We'll wait and see what 2016 releases bring. I doubt nothing will change, so we'll have to think long and hard about if we continue paying over $1k a year in licencing fees for these products.

Mirko - Care to jump in with 'Reckons' viewpoint on this?
Photo of Kevin Russell

Andrew good luck finding another accounting software suite with all the functionality and multi user capability for less dollars. Most other packages would cost thousands of dollars
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Oh big kev they may or may not cost more, BUT if they are being actively supported and do things our company wants them to do, then it will be worth the extra money. I see better value in spending more on a accounting solution that WORKS, compared to over $1k+/yr on a solution that sort of works, but not really.

The current batch of Reckon products we use have a long list of things that are NQR and don't work as we want. We also are spending man hours on 'work arounds' to keep things moving and man hours equals dollars. So there are savings to be made for a accounting product that works right.

I have a feeling you can't see the forest for the trees. Maybe a little too much of the kool aid?
Photo of Kevin Russell

Andy mate, I don't drink ANYTHING with sugar in it. I sure as hell fire wouldn't be drinking kool aid. Who on earth did your requirements anaylsis before you settled on Reckon anyway? Honestly its a bit too late to be blaming the software now.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Oh Kev, you know what happens when you assume. Nothing wrong with the requirement analysis that was done, this isn't a new deployment. We have been using these products since the Quickbooks/QuickPos days from 15 years ago.

Our requirements TODAY are totally different to what they had been 15 years ago. Reckon fails to meet our requirements today, we are not interested in 'cloud' anything for accounting or point of sale.

Anyhow, enough chit chat with you. I'll leave you to drink the kool aid.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Andy mate pretty sure I told you. I never drink Kool aid. Ever.
Photo of Sandy Cee

Sandy Cee

I agree with you Andrew - yet again. It seems to be the New Reckon Way. I have been using Quickbooks products through Intuit / Reckon since about 2003 when the main product looked very much like Microsoft Money. Have upgraded since then to Business products. I didn't like the POS at all - not user friendly and had too many bugs in it for my liking and that was back in the days of win 98/ ME etc.
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Thanks Mirko.

I have a non-production PC running the Tech Preview (latest release) and MS Office 2013. I am willing to assist with testing. Just need a download link and installation key.

Photo of Kevin Russell

Steve mate I have the tech preview. I will only be testing 2014 and 2015. Reckon should not need to support anything older
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

MS Office 2013 is the latest version for Windows computers
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Kev Mate, you don't speak for all of us. You might only want to support reckon 2014/2015 products, thats great. But as Windows 7 is getting the free upgrade, there is a very good chance reckon products older than this will be on the platform being upgraded.
Photo of Kevin Russell

Andrew mate I don't know what you are talking about. It's got nothing to do with what I want. Reckon have had a policy for ten years so they don't support the older versions.
Photo of Dima

Dima

Hi Andrew and Kevin,

I would appreciate your comments on my question I asked Mirko about 4 hours ago.

Dima

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Update and expansion to my previous post:

I’ve again raised this topic with our development team - they've advised the following;

All testing on the newest Win10 Tech Preview (Build 10130 64bit & Office 13) has passed on our latest software releases. Our Developers are still testing with each new Win 10 Tech Preview, as it becomes available, until the actual release of Win 10 – if any issues arise they will be looked into as a priority. At this stage Development are confident our latest software releases will work with the release of Win 10.
Photo of Dima

Dima

Hi Mirko,

Thanks for the update but I don’t think it answers my question (4 days ago). Will Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015 interfere with the any of the two browsers which Win10 is reported to have?

The current Personal Plus, as you know, crashes IE11.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Dima

(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Its going to be one of those "You're holding it wrong" type of answers Dima ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Dima, the developers were testing this specific quirk with Reckon Personal Plus (RPP) 2015 & “Project Spartan", opening and closing RPP and just leaving it running while browsing - they found nothing untoward. So at this point in time, we can say it should have no idiosyncrasies so long as Project Spartan stays the same as it is. ^Mirko
Photo of Dima

Dima

Hi Mirko, your helpful reply to my question is very much appreciated.

Dima

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Mirko, Any reason this 'known' issue isn't fixed for Windows 7/8 clients?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Grabbed the latest Windows 10 beta (build 10162) and to my surprise RA doesn't even install, the installer flakes out with this error

clicking retry puts you in a loop, clicking cancel rolls back the install. This is a straight fresh install, and then onto installing RA. no errors from the installer for missing dependencies!
(Edited)
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,252 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
What RA was that  - Personal Plus, or some other? I wonder whether an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 from 7 or 8 (which is what a lot of people will end up doing) breaks an already installed working RA? 
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Andrew, give this support note a look into. Let me know how you go.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

I'm aware of the support note Mirko, already applied the fix before posting. (hence my no errors from the installer for missing dependencies comment)

My point was straight out of the box the installer failed, with no warnings at all. You had advised earlier that "Win10 Tech Preview has passed on our latest software releases". I fail to see how this could be the case when the install baffed. The installer should be checking if the .net framework is enabled and providing a warning/fix to the problem before even trying to install.

Basically I'm trying to HELP Reckon here, these types of issues shouldn't be happening. Lots of users are going to get stumped.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

@Narky One - Doing a win7/8.x in place upgrade to Win10 will be fine. The issue is the installer isn't checking if .net is installed/enabled. Win10 by default has .net disabled as well as Win 8, so its time that Reckon fixes up the installer one would think, rather then relying on users finding some KB article on how to fix the broken installer. Been broken for 3 years now. Time to fix it.
(Edited)
Photo of Narky One

Narky One

• 1,252 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Maybe the ideal solution would be for RA to not require .net. Of course, that is probably asking way too much. What is Microsoft's strategy, making .net disabled out of the box?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Well yes, either check its installed/enabled or don't use it! MS is removing/disabling things to reduce the install footprint and to make it more secure by having less services running these days.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Now onto my next issue with Win10/RA, seems the PDF printer RA installs isn't working when trying to send invoices or statements via email? Keeps tossing out a "Printer not activated error code - 20" Lots of fixes around for this on the web for win8/8.1. Seems like a old bug hanging around still in RA 2015.. Didn't have time last night to start trying them.

Mirko, is this is a know Win10 issue? I haven't found any support notes for Win10 and this issue yet, so link me up if there is!
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

So..... to answer my own questions, RA 2015 won't email invoices or statements unless you run the RA program as a administrator user (right click, run as administrator). Wonderful........ Mirko Your QA department really needs to have some talking to about what 'passed' means in the REAL world.
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

and to follow on from this, it seems RA doesn't work with the built in mail client that ships with Windows 10. We only have 'outlook' installed to send emails cause RA still hasn't caught up with doing SMTP direct :/ I was hoping to use the built in mail client to save installing outlook.

followed by

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Andrew, I've passed on your feedback to the Development Team to look into. I'll be in touch with further info, once available. 
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Oh those guys just LOVE me..... Bring on RA 2015 R3 release!!! :)
(Edited)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hey Mirko, any updates on the three Windows 10 issues I raised a few weeks ago?
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey Andrew, from my understanding almost all testing is running as Admin. One of our QA Testers advised he managed to get Accounts to email by following the existing support notes from previous versions - listed below;
In saying all this testing is ongoing and some in 'Power User' mode. Apologies for the late response.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Mirko, Yes I got the invoices printing/emailing, remember I answered my question above, RA 2015 won't email invoices or statements unless you run the RA program as a administrator (right click, run as administrator).

In my 5 minutes of testing, There are 3 main bugs I've seen with RA2015 on Windows 10. This was on a FRESH install of Windows 10, they are

1. The installer borks in a loop and doesn't tell you how to fix the issue that its missing the .net dependency. Halfway through install it just throws you into a error loop. Pretty poor as this issue has been around for a few years now since Windows 8 release.

Yes you have a little KB about it, but seriously? I've got to half install a product, get the error, Then cancel the install, which rolls it back. then google the error to find the KB to resolve a dependency issue? Then start over again. Not good enough for a $600/yr product!

Its not hard for the installer to do a check before install starts and advise the user of the fix or send them to the KB article to resolve the issue. Checking for .net dependencies has been around for ages in installers. Its not rocket science.

2. RA2015 when just double clicked to launch (even as a admin user) won't send invoices. You need to right click, run as admin for this feature to work (or change the properties to run always as admin). Neither of these is not a solution!

3. RA2015 won't send invoices/emails using the built in Windows 10 Mail client.

As a customer who pays over $1.2k EVERY YEAR in fees to Reckon, I don't think my feedback is too harsh. Its not like a brought a $50 product 5 years ago and still expect it to be supported. We are using the latest releases of the product, they should work.

Windows 10 is no longer beta and only days away from release. Is there going to a RA2015 R2 or R3 release to address these issues?
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Thanks for your further and well reasoned feedback Andrew. I'll pass all this on to the relevant stakeholders. ^Mirko
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

and the outcome was.......??

I'm starting to see these issues raised above popping up here. so looks to be more than just me having the issue.
(Edited)
Photo of Elaine Smith

Elaine Smith

• 400 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
Hey again Andrew, Im still having the email issue, with not sending, been trying different suggestions that I have found, none working, so I have had to save payslips in pdf on my pc and then send from there. Do you have a suggestion for this, Thank You Elaine
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi Elaine. Sorry to hear that didn't work for you. As you can see in this thread, a few of us have been trying to get answers and fixes out of Reckon for months regarding Windows 10. Even though they say the QA department verified it should work. Its clearly not!

Truthfully? The only short term fix will be to roll back Windows 10 upgrade to your old version of Windows. A backup was kept as part of the 'free' upgrade. You won't lose your free upgrade licence, as once you have it, the key is now stored by Microsoft for that computer. You will be able to upgrade again at a later date when Reckon sorts out the product line. Hopefully the 2016 line will work better.

IMHO Reckon just isn't ready at all for Windows 10 at all and at the glacial pace they are even acknowledging these issues, I feel the fixes will be even slower!

I'm guessing you had been on Windows 7 as this seemed to be the last problem free version of Windows that Reckon desktop products ran on. About the same time development stopped on the desktop products too, in favour of the cloud versions. Its all cloud, cloud, cloud now from Reckon! (which is also only half completed too BTW, so don't rush there without testing! Basic 101 things like quotes and statements are still missing features!)
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Whoops, forgot to post the how to roll back article

http://www.howtogeek.com/220723/how-t...

Basically its open the Start menu and select Settings. Click the “Update & security” icon and select “Recovery.”

You should see a “Go back to Windows 7′′ or “Go back to Windows 8.1′′ option. Click the Get started button to get rid of your Windows 10 install and restore your previous Windows install. Microsoft will ask you why you want to go back.

Please ensure you have a backup of your data/reckon data files. Just in case it goes wrong!
Photo of Elaine Smith

Elaine Smith

Thanks Andrew, Yes Window 7, I didn't even like the look of 8, as for 95 I stayed away from that too. went from 3.11 to 98 then to xp then to 7 then a big early mistake for 10 - but it still doesn't excuse Reckon for poor service for their product, its like they have our money and that's it they no interest, thank you also for the roll back article
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Yeah me too, Windows 8 was a bit meh and also had problems with Reckon desktop products. So we haven't gone there either. Wasn't worth the hassle.

I agree, Reckon is providing poor service, we pay over $1.2k a year in licencing fees and I feel like a 2nd class citizen. These issues are have been around for a few years on Windows 8.x, still not fixed. New feature requests fall onto deaf ears. Its all Cloud, cloud, cloud!

When we pivot to the next product platform, past vendor performance will be remembered! Thats for sure!

Let me know how your roll back goes if you go down that path.
Photo of Rachel Bailey

Rachel Bailey

• 348 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
After spending two days (while trying to do invoicing) trying all the different possibilities, I've given up and will be rolling back to windows 7 ... I'm really disappointed with Reckon, I've already moved from the hosted version back to the desktop version (and paying a higher price) and now I can't even run windows 10! And in the mean time I'm just supposed to keep hoping that Reckon will fix this problem with the 2016 version maybe next year. Reckon is getting to be a joke.
Photo of Michael Fisher

Michael Fisher

• 122 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
Reckon plus 2014 & Windows 10 work!

I followed the instruction below. Hope it will help you too.
As it said, by default, Windows 10 does not have Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1 activated, an important service for installation (for running Reckon with Windows 10 in my own case)

http://kb.reckon.com.au/quickfaq.asp#6.

Activate Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1

1.    Control Panel > Programs and Features

2.    Turn Windows features on or off

3.    Scroll down the list to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and tick the box.

4.    Click OK to save and exit. 

Photo of Elaine Smith

Elaine Smith

Yes that solved the email problem, thank you
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,952 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

I agree with many of Andrew's comments, as there are a lot of Win 8/8.1 users who will be keen to take up Win 10. This expected preference by many Reckon users for Win 10 and the considerable attention it's release has generated, should have resulted in better testing of Win 10 by Reckon.

Kevin, I am really not sure what point you were trying to make. I note you ignored Vista.

There have been a number of Win 10 problems mentioned in this thread and it is disappointing that Reckon have not been more proactive in publishing fixes for these problems. ( should I have expected this to change !)

John

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Thanks John for your comments. Yes I've been very vocal here about the issues!

And yes the lack of Reckon commenting here regarding these issues is deafening! Shows what they think of their users!
Photo of Rachel Bailey

Rachel Bailey

As someone who has now had to roll back to windows 7 .. I can say it Reckon finally works without any print issues or email issues unlike 10. I've lost three days to this and had an IT consultant here trying all the different things that have been suggested to try... Reckon needs to sort out the issues with windows 10 because despite what they say above, there is issues and they aren't doing anything about either fixing them (or admitting there are issues), and they need to tell people to hold off installing 10 for whatever length of time they need to fix the issues (as the OP asked four months ago!!)
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Agreed Rachel. Reckon have sadly failed to respond to my original post.

I am staying with Win 8.1 until Reckon CERTIFY that desktop products are FULLY COMPATIBLE with Windows 10

Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

• 10,138 Points 10k badge 2x thumb
Hello Everyone,

A quick update on where we are at with Windows 10.

We have now completed initial testing on Windows 10 and while we haven’t found any issues that will stop users from being able to run Reckon Accounts on Windows 10, we can’t guarantee some users won’t experience, some unexpected behaviours’.

We expect a full test of Reckon Accounts to be completed by the end of August. At which time we will provide an update via the Knowledge Browser & the Community

If you experience Error 1920.Service QuickBooks Database Manager Service (QBCFMonitorService) failed to start, please check that  Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 has been turned on.  See the KB at: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5256 for a full guide.

If you are experiencing issues Emailing/Creating PDF’s please refer to: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4897.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We look forward to providing further updates post completion of full testing.

regards,
John
Photo of Rachel Bailey

Rachel Bailey

Thanks for the update ... better late than never.
The second link for pdf issues for windows 10 is irrelevant and don't waste your time
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Are you sure this statement is correct John? But thanks for the update, even if its got a few porkies in it ;)

"We have now completed initial testing on Windows 10 and while we haven’t found any issues that will stop users from being able to run Reckon Accounts on Windows 10"

O.o no issues found? Just don't tell that to people who can't print PDFs or send invoices!
Photo of Elaine Smith

Elaine Smith

Well Andrew, you wrote, exactly what i was thinking! Surely they dont think we are that silly
Photo of Annette Harris

Annette Harris

• 488 Points 250 badge 2x thumb
After reading through all the comments I am hoping that I will be able to update to windows 10 and put my desk top version on.  As I have several clients who will want to update before it cost them money to do so.   I havent had the print and pdf issue since the last 2 updates.  
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Best of luck Annette.... Keep us posted on how you go!
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

I have installed RA Premier 2015 on a non-production Windows 10 Pro computer with MS Office Pro 2013.

Installation went smooth, but operation had all the issues described elsewhere in this thread.

I would encourage others to do the same. Try first on a NON-CRITICAL computer and take note of any issues.

I am a computer technician. I have seen other issues related to specific hardware, even though the same hardware worked perfectly under Win 8.1. Some anti-virus products also not yet compatible with Win-10. These issues are not related to this thread.

My main advice is BE CAUTIOUS. It is definitely not all smooth sailing as Microsoft and Reckon would have you believe. Be sure of compatibility before committing Win-10 and Reckon to your critical computers.

The upgrade is free for 12 months, so no need to dive in head-first in these early days. I am sure many issues will be resolved as Win-10 matures. Just be patient !

I am certainly waiting at least 3 months, maybe longer......

Photo of Annette Harris

Annette Harris

Thanks so much for your comment I will put off doing mine until needed :-)
Photo of Sandy Cee

Sandy Cee

Yes, i am thinking the same thing. Actually, I am now thinking I may go the online way. Need to check out pricing first though.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Sandy - Be careful of the Online way, Reckon One is missing a LOT of basics, like customized invoices, statements to name a few things. So do the trial first before you jump ship!
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Plus if going to online accounting, make sure you shop around and compare all the online products, quickbooks/xero/reckon one are main ones. Pick the best one! ;)
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

"We expect a full test of Reckon Accounts to be completed by the end of August. At which time we will provide an update via the Knowledge Browser & the Community"

End of August was two weeks ago. RECKON please provide the promised update !
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Small point of interest....
I have setup a new Windows 10 computer for a client
Installed MYOB 2013....( yes 2013 ! )
Activated OK, restored MYOB backup OK

No hacks
No workarounds
No "Run as Administrator"
No calls to tech support

It just WORKED !

Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Always nice to hear how the other side of the fence went.... sadly I don't think your comment will stay around long here ;)
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,952 Points 3k badge 2x thumb
I am keenly anticipating the release notes for RPP 2016 to see what may have been achieved from all our user requests. Can't be long to wait ?
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Hi John, Nov 2015 was tossed around as a release date for Reckon Accounts, so still a while to go. Based on the time frame between releases, I doubt we'll see much more than Windows 10 fixes and a change to the mail sending system (which will help fix the windows 10 issues).

Reckon confirmed finally a move away from outlook to being able to send directly via SMTP. YAY. Which funny enough, will fix more of the Windows 10 run as admin issues.
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

Hi Andrew, 

Nov 2015 is the expected release date for Reckon Accounts Personal (the old Quicken).  It will be Windows 10 compatible.

Reckon Accounts Business 2016 is scheduled for release in April 2016 and it will be Windows 10 compatible.

regards,
John.
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Great news John!
Photo of Reckon FAQs

Reckon FAQs, Employee

Hi Everyone,

Update to our position on Reckon Accounts and Windows 10.

Microsoft began rolling out its newest operating system Windows 10 (Pro and Home editions) at the end of July.

Our Quality Assurance team has tested our currently supported versions of Reckon Accounts (2014 R2 & 2015 R2) on Windows 10 and we did not find any issues that will stop users from being able to run Reckon Accounts on Windows 10.  

The next release (Reckon Accounts 2016) will be the first release that is fully compatible and officially supported with Windows 10.

Our latest version of Reckon Accounts (2015) was released prior to Windows 10 being made available and while it isn’t fully supported on Windows 10, our Support team will endeavour to help wherever possible.

Once you have upgraded your Reckon Accounts PC we suggest you set your Reckon Accounts launch icon to Run as Administrator in the icon's Properties > Compatibility tab > Settings. If you experience problems with emailing or creating PDF files, please refer to our article:  Best practice for Save as PDF and Emailing from Reckon Accounts Business on Windows 10.

We have found that the choice of Edge or Internet Explorer 11 as the default browser has no impact on performance.  

New installations on a new Windows 10 PC should check that .Net Framework 3.5.1 has been turned on in Progams & Features > Turn Windows features on or off.  For a full guide see the article; Error 1920. Service QuickBooks Database Manager Service failed to start when installing.  If .Net Framework 3.5.1 is not turned on for installation, the installation will fail with the Error 1920 message.  

Hosted users should prefer Internet Explorer 11 over the new Edge browser.  We also prefer Firefox and Google ahead of Edge.

regards,
The Reckon Team
(Edited)
Photo of Annette Harris

Annette Harris

No Patch to try and fix some of the issues between now and next year for desktop version? 
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

Its not the Reckon way..... Charge you for a upgrade instead!
Photo of Rachel Bailey

Rachel Bailey

Unbelievable! I'm having to wait another 7 months for this to be fixed!!!!! I'm so unimpressed right now with Reckon. Don't tell me to try reloading and trying the fixes above that don't work since I've tried them all.
Photo of Annette Harris

Annette Harris

Hi Rachel, what issues have you had I only have 2 clients on windows 10 and they both upgraded from a lower addition.  So just weird stuff that I have seen and the printing issue which I worked around by putting on CUTE PDF for them 
Photo of Andrew

Andrew

So 3rd party software to fix it then? Hmmmm.....
Photo of Annette Harris

Annette Harris

yes but for now it was a quick fix especially for a client with a rescue file 
Photo of Steve Cook

Steve Cook

Just to add more complexity to the mix...MS Office 2016 has been released

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.