Windows 10 - Will Reckon desktop products be FULLY COMPATIBLE ?

Steve Cook
Steve Cook Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
edited August 2019 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

Windows 10 is to be released later this year. Microsoft have stated will be a free upgrade for Windows 7, Windows 8 and 8.1.

As it will be free there will be a mass migration to windows 10.

Can RECKON please test and assure all customers that RECKON desktop products will be compatible.

If there are issues, then RECKON customers need to be clearly advised BEFORE WINDOWS 10 IS RELEASED

Comments

• alainpaulr
    alainpaulr Member Posts: 7
    edited April 2016
    Experience tells me that Reckon software will be compatible. However and this is a big worry, current bugs like updating share price impossible since 19th of February will not be fixed. So we will have compatible bugs. Hardly an achievement in my view.

• Steve Cook
    edited April 2016

Guys your comments are valid, but not addressing the original question. You have made a simple question very complex. I am a computer technician and can understand, but the vast majority of RECKON customers are just users of the product and cannot understand these comments.

Can someone at RECKON please clearly respond to the original question ?

• Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited August 2019
    Hi All, I've raised this one our developers who has advised the following;

Although win10 will not be supported - the products should work. We are still testing with win10 tech preview - as there is no official date for the final release we are unsure if there will be any issues with the final version. At this point we have found no faults - in saying this Win 10 is not yet available (only the Tech Preview) and thus things could change.

• Steve Cook
    edited October 2015

Thanks Mirko.

I have a non-production PC running the Tech Preview (latest release) and MS Office 2013. I am willing to assist with testing. Just need a download link and installation key.

• Steve Cook
    edited October 2015
    MS Office 2013 is the latest version for Windows computers
  • Dima
    Dima Member Posts: 15
    edited June 2015

Hi Mirko,

I have Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015 and it and its pervious version run in Windows 8.1 but are incompatible with Internet Explorer 11 which crashes if Reckon is open. This is a long standing problem which has not yet been fixed. I don't hold much hope on any of the two versions of IE which will be available in Win10 in late July to fix the problem. Do you know if the tests to which you refer include the compatibility with the associated internet explorers?

Dima 

• Dima
    edited June 2015

Hi Andrew and Kevin,

I would appreciate your comments on my question I asked Mirko about 4 hours ago.

Dima

• Dima
    edited June 2015

Thanks Kevin. Are you able to do any compatibility tests on the replacement (Spartan?) for IE in Windows 10?

Dima

• Dima
    edited June 2015

Hi Andrew,

The problem has been reported previously by others, see Knowledgebase  ID 5053 "Internet Explorer v11 crashes when Reckon Accounts Personal range is launched in Windows 8.1"

The solution proposed there, I think, is quite ridiculous for a responsible company to make when dealing with the most used browser. That is the reason I personally have not logged a support request.

The problem does not arise when I use Chrome.

Dima

• Steve Cook
    edited October 2015

"They only care about the cloud products now. The desktop products are dead to them and are all in 'maintenance' mode"

Andrew I agree with this. I am an Advantage member. I have used all QuickBooks/Reckon desktop versions since 2008.

I was involved in beta testing a couple years ago. Basically all my comments and suggestions were ignored. Some issues have persisted over several versions. And some new issues have emerged in 2015

I will not be moving to the cloud for various reasons:

Not everyone has access to good internet access, necessary for using cloud products. In regional areas, NBN is still years way.

Reading this forum, I see so many issues with the cloud product, I am glad I never went this way

So I am basically locked into desktop products in foreseeable future

The imminent arrival of Windows 10 will only add more issues to the mix

• Steve Cook
    edited October 2015

Mirko: "Although win10 will not be supported - the products should work."

Mirko we are now 1 month from release of Windows 10. A CLEAR RESPONSE is needed to the original title of this thread, and clearly communicated to ALL Reckon customers

"Windows 10 - Will Reckon desktop products be FULLY COMPATIBLE ?"

• Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Update and expansion to my previous post:

I’ve again raised this topic with our development team - they've advised the following;

All testing on the newest Win10 Tech Preview (Build 10130 64bit & Office 13) has passed on our latest software releases. Our Developers are still testing with each new Win 10 Tech Preview, as it becomes available, until the actual release of Win 10 – if any issues arise they will be looked into as a priority. At this stage Development are confident our latest software releases will work with the release of Win 10.
  • Dima
    edited April 2016

Hi Mirko,

Thanks for the update but I don’t think it answers my question (4 days ago). Will Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2015 interfere with the any of the two browsers which Win10 is reported to have?

The current Personal Plus, as you know, crashes IE11.

Your advice would be appreciated.

Dima

• Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Hey Dima, the developers were testing this specific quirk with Reckon Personal Plus (RPP) 2015 & “Project Spartan", opening and closing RPP and just leaving it running while browsing - they found nothing untoward. So at this point in time, we can say it should have no idiosyncrasies so long as ?Project Spartan? stays the same as it is. ^Mirko

• Dima
    edited July 2015

Hi Mirko, your helpful reply to my question is very much appreciated.

Dima

• Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Hey Andrew, give this support note a look into. Let me know how you go.
  • Mirko
    edited April 2016
    Hey Andrew, I've passed on your feedback to the Development Team to look into. I'll be in touch with further info, once available. 
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Hey Andrew, from my understanding almost all testing is running as Admin. One of our QA Testers advised he managed to get Accounts to email by following the existing support notes from previous versions - listed below; In saying all this testing is ongoing and some in 'Power User' mode. Apologies for the late response.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for your further and well reasoned feedback Andrew. I'll pass all this on to the relevant stakeholders. ^Mirko
  • Elaine Smith
    Elaine Smith Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2015
    Hey again Andrew, Im still having the email issue, with not sending, been trying different suggestions that I have found, none working, so I have had to save payslips in pdf on my pc and then send from there. Do you have a suggestion for this, Thank You Elaine
  • Elaine Smith
    edited August 2015
    Thanks Andrew, Yes Window 7, I didn't even like the look of 8, as for 95 I stayed away from that too. went from 3.11 to 98 then to xp then to 7 then a big early mistake for 10 - but it still doesn't excuse Reckon for poor service for their product, its like they have our money and that's it they no interest, thank you also for the roll back article
  • Rachel Bailey
    Rachel Bailey Member Posts: 18
    edited August 2015
    After spending two days (while trying to do invoicing) trying all the different possibilities, I've given up and will be rolling back to windows 7 ... I'm really disappointed with Reckon, I've already moved from the hosted version back to the desktop version (and paying a higher price) and now I can't even run windows 10! And in the mean time I'm just supposed to keep hoping that Reckon will fix this problem with the 2016 version maybe next year. Reckon is getting to be a joke.
  • Michael Fisher
    Michael Fisher Member Posts: 3
    edited August 2015
    Reckon plus 2014 & Windows 10 work!

I followed the instruction below. Hope it will help you too.
    As it said, by default, Windows 10 does not have Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1 activated, an important service for installation (for running Reckon with Windows 10 in my own case)

http://kb.reckon.com.au/quickfaq.asp#6.

Activate Microsoft .Net Framework 3.5.1

1.    Control Panel > Programs and Features

2.    Turn Windows features on or off

3.    Scroll down the list to Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 and tick the box.

4.    Click OK to save and exit. 

• Elaine Smith
    edited August 2015
    Yes that solved the email problem, thank you
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 193 ✭✭
    edited February 2017

I agree with many of Andrew's comments, as there are a lot of Win 8/8.1 users who will be keen to take up Win 10. This expected preference by many Reckon users for Win 10 and the considerable attention it's release has generated, should have resulted in better testing of Win 10 by Reckon.

Kevin, I am really not sure what point you were trying to make. I note you ignored Vista.

There have been a number of Win 10 problems mentioned in this thread and it is disappointing that Reckon have not been more proactive in publishing fixes for these problems. ( should I have expected this to change !)

John

• Rachel Bailey
    Rachel Bailey Member Posts: 18
    edited October 2015
    As someone who has now had to roll back to windows 7 .. I can say it Reckon finally works without any print issues or email issues unlike 10. I've lost three days to this and had an IT consultant here trying all the different things that have been suggested to try... Reckon needs to sort out the issues with windows 10 because despite what they say above, there is issues and they aren't doing anything about either fixing them (or admitting there are issues), and they need to tell people to hold off installing 10 for whatever length of time they need to fix the issues (as the OP asked four months ago!!)
  • Steve Cook
    edited October 2015

Agreed Rachel. Reckon have sadly failed to respond to my original post.

I am staying with Win 8.1 until Reckon CERTIFY? that desktop products are FULLY COMPATIBLE with Windows 10

• Reckon FAQs
    Reckon FAQs Reckon Staff Posts: 357 Reckon Staff
    edited March 2017
    Hello Everyone,

A quick update on where we are at with Windows 10.

We have now completed initial testing on Windows 10 and while we haven’t found any issues that will stop users from being able to run Reckon Accounts on Windows 10, we can’t guarantee some users won’t experience, some unexpected behaviours’.

We expect a full test of Reckon Accounts to be completed by the end of August. At which time we will provide an update via the Knowledge Browser & the Community

If you experience Error 1920.Service QuickBooks Database Manager Service (QBCFMonitorService) failed to start, please check that  Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5.1 has been turned on.  See the KB at: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=5256 for a full guide.

If you are experiencing issues Emailing/Creating PDF’s please refer to: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4897.

Thank you for your patience and understanding. We look forward to providing further updates post completion of full testing.

regards,
    John

This discussion has been closed.