Lost 3 years of work - Quickbooks Premier

Options
Sue Devereaux
Sue Devereaux Member Posts: 2
edited July 2019 in Payroll Premier
I have just taken over doing the accounts for my parents. The company account sent over the files on a backup drive and the current software disc. On loading the software I was asked to upgrade the file which I have done and then when I have opoened the new company file it has lost the last 3 years of work. I have paper copies so I can re-created the files but that is a huge amount of work. The last back up was done 3 years ago so restoring the backup is not an option.  Has anyone got any ideas please?

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Sue

Just clarify the last three characters of the FILENAMES of the files you have received.  (ie: the TYPE or EXTension that is after the 'dot').

Backups are usually called  xxxxx.QBB

Live usable database files are usually called   xxxxx.QBW

So,  the point is,  did your parents or the Company Accountant also have the LIVE  (.QBW) file  as well as some backups (called  .QBB).    If you are lucky, then even if they forgot to backup for the last 3 years,  they may still have the latest live file that is the  xxx.QBW file.

ALSO,  a long shot,  just make sure you are looking at the content of the registers, and not running some old report that still remembers to pick a selective range of dates from 3 years ago.... I doubt it,  but run a trial balance as  of 'today'  to then see what the content of each Chart Of Account file actually contains.

But go seek out the existence of the latest QBW file used on the computer that was putting the latest data into said  QBW file, and just copy that QBW file to a memory stick and transfer it over to the machine you're doing your new work on.

Gary
  • Sue Devereaux
    Sue Devereaux Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2019
    Options

Gary

The files that I found were the live quickbooks company files dated 9.8.2008 with the 2 supplementary files QBW.ND (dated 1.12.2011) and QBW.TLG (dated 9.8.08).  He did the work to 2011 but on checking the balance sheet and data entry it only shows to 9.8.08.  Not sure why it has lost all the data for the 3 years except that in using a newer version of quickbooks it has reverted back.

Sue

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,065 Reckon Staff
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Sue,

Upgrading a data file will not result in data for previous years disappearing.

If you have opened a QBW in the newer program, then at the point of upgrading that file it will ask you to create a backup. That backup is the state of the file at that time prior to the upgrade.

To confirm what data is present in the newly created pre-upgrade backup QBB file, then you can restore it in the original version of the program that is not newer than what was last used to open the data file.

If you restored a backup QBB into the newer program then the resulting QBW that is created will be upgraded to the newer program version.

To confirm what data is present in the original QBB file, then you can restore it in a version of the program that is not newer than what was last used to open the data file.
    Regards,
    Reckon Data Recovery Team