Error - STP

Hi There,

I've submitted only one payrun to ATO and I cannot use the STP app. anymore - for whatever reason msg always reads

Something has gone wrong

We're really sorry about this. Please log out below and try again ... and yet this has been going on forever

Please advise

Comments

• RavRav Administrator Posts: 9,886 Administrator

Hi @Ray555

Sorry to hear you're having trouble with the app. Does this message appear after sending through a submission itself or is there something specific you're attempting to do in the app when this appears? ie. is it a response message you receive back from the ATO for a submission or is it coming from the app itself? If you can post a screenshot of the error message that would be great.

Also, which version of the app are you using? Can you please check if you have the latest update installed which is currently v1.13.5. Check your app store if you have any available updates.

Finally, which phone are using the app on and which version of operating system (OS) is it running?

• Ray555Ray555 Member Posts: 6

Thank you for your reply Rav!

It's like I have been locked out from using this app. since first using it 3 months ago - no matter how many times I logout this msg always comes up. I thought it was my iphone 7 not having the latest update 3 months ago but I now have version 13.6.1 and still this error comes up.

I do have the latest version as I purchased it yesterday and it is v1 13.5.

In short, I haven't been able to use / log back into this app since sending off pay the run to the ATO for which was successful - hoping this can be sorted

Thanks for getting back to me @Ray555

Ok this definitely looks like something we'll need to check on our end and I'll need to get our app devs to step in here.

Can you let me know the ABN that you have registered to your STP app account please.

Also, does this message appear as soon as you open the app? Or does it come up when you attempt to do something specific in the app?

Yes,

the msg appears as soon as I open the app. can't

ABN 83 159 326 771

Thank you Rav!

Ray

Just getting back to you on this one @Ray555

The app team have just advised they've found the cause of the problem. It looks like there was a 'Start Date' missing for an employee which has then caused the app to go into a tailspin. The devs have added in an arbitrary start date of 01/01/2020 to get your access restored but you'll need to go in and update that date in the employee's details within the app.

If the app is still running in the background, please close it ie. swipe it away from your running apps.

Open it back up and login. You should be good from here but let me know if you have any trouble.

Thank you so much Rav!

I'm back in feeling so relieved and amended correct start date. Checked the Employee Pay Run (1) for FY 2019/20 and is all correct - submitted and approved by the ATO.

What I did notice and must have been an error on my part, checked Pay Summary FY2019/20 and found the total gross payment amounts have doubled ie., Total Gross Pay, Total Tax Withheld and Total Super.

Hence, since this was my first and only pay run there should not have been any initial YTD amounts for which were added in error. Could I submit a request with you for the app team to remove 'All 3 x initial YTD amounts' in the back end so as to correctly depict the first and only employee pay run for which has been submitted.

Thanking you in advance!

Ray

Good to hear you're back in @Ray555

What I did notice and must have been an error on my part, checked Pay Summary FY2019/20 and found the total gross payment amounts have doubled ie., Total Gross Pay, Total Tax Withheld and Total Super.

Ok, so this one has an easy explanation and solution as well.

Firstly to explain what's likely happened; so when you first create an employee(s) in the STP app it will ask you if you've paid anything to your employees already to date and if so, you enter whatever initial YTD values you've paid for that employee. This is separate to any submissions you send but forms part of the overall balance you see for the employee(s). To illustrate what I mean, if you open the End of Financial Year 2019/20 report in the app, you'll see a full breakdown of the balances that make up that particular employee and in particular you'll see a line item called 'Initial YTD ...' which lists what was entered for the employee when they were first created (if anything was entered).

This isn't something we can alter or amend in the backend as its 'live' user data which we aren't allowed to touch but if the total balance showing isn't correct in reality then correcting it is pretty easy. You need to create an Update Event in the app (Blue + symbol - New Update Event) and then enter a negative balance that you need to reduce your employee's total balance by.

So for example if employee John Smith had $1000.00 gross pay and $500.00 tax entered as their Initial YTD values and a submission sent for $1000.00 gross pay and $500.00 tax = YTD total of $2000.00 gross pay and $1000.00 tax. Whereas in reality it should only have been the figures from the submission only then the update event you create will be for -$1000.00 gross pay and -$500.00 tax which will reduce their overall YTD balance to $1000.00 gross pay and $500.00 tax.

I'll link a guide below which explains in full detail how to use an Update Event to adjust/correct balances in the app -

Hopefully that makes sense but let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers

Thank you for your concise explanation and link to the article - most helpful!

So in simple terms, regardless whether the pay run was submitted last quarter (for FY2019/20) and was approved by the ATO - I can then amend the error by re-submitting the pay run to the ATO by creating a 'New Update Event' and insert the 'negative' figures needed to amend each of the Total Gross Pay, Total Tax Withheld and Total Super amounts, then set the pay run date to 30/06/2019 yo finalise FY2019/20, go to declaration and submit to ATO.

@Ray555

Yep that's right you can amend balances in the current or previous financial year. HOWEVER if you are amending a balance in the 2019/20 financial year then you need to ensure your Update Event is dated in the previous FY so that it knows which period it needs to adjust those figures by eg. you could use 30 June 2020

Thank you Rav,

Very much appreciated for all your assistance and advice!!

Ray