Reckon Personal Plus 2013

Options
GTS53
GTS53 Member Posts: 4
I'm using Reckon Personal Plus 2013, and and am trying to transfer the program to my laptop. I've copied the back up file from the desktop to the laptop, but when I try to open the Reckon on the laptop, the program just closes down. Any thoughts please?

Comments

• vinia
    vinia Alumni Posts: 53
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hello,

Thank you for using the Reckon Community.

I just needed some more information about this and also if you could answer all the questions here in order for me to help you much better.

1. What is the brand of the laptop you're using?

2. Have you had any issues or error during the program installation into the laptop?

3. Does the program close down the minute you double click the shortcut icon or does it close down when you try to open the file that came from the desktop computer?

Kind Regards,

Vinia Laguda

Reckon Technical Support

• GTS53
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hello Vinia,

Thank you for your reply.  In answer to your questions:

1.  I had originally installed the program on my Mac, using Windows 7 Parallels.  The performance of my Mac has become atrocious, and in order to determine if it's a problem with the dual OSs, I'm planning to uninstall Parallels, so I'm removing all of my Windows programs, and transferring them to my Dell Inspiron laptop - which runs on Win XP.

2.  I had no apparent issues at all during the installation into the laptop.

3.  Until this evening, when I tried to open Reckon from the Desktop icon, I got the Reckon Accounts "Get Started" window.  I'm already a ReckonAccounts user (or so I presume!!), which led me to the "Select Your data File" window.  I selected the backup file, and then clicked OK.  The program immediately closed down.

However, this evening, as I tried it again in preparing a response to you, I received an error message saying the program was corrupted and needed to be re-installed.  I did this.  Everything was the same until I tried to open my backed up data file, when a "ReckonAccounts - Unexpected Error" window appeared, telling me that Reckon Accounts needs to close etc, etc, etc!!  The window asked me to send an error report, which I did.  The report ID is 13159793.

So, even having reinstalled the program, I still have the same problem.

Kind regards,
    Garry Sampson
  • vinia
    edited February 2014
    Options

Hello Gary,

Thank you for your response.

1. We do not recommend installing Reckon Accounts in Mac although it is in a Windows 7 parallel installation, that kind of set up is not tested and there could be a lot of factors causing the problem. It may have worked from the past but situation like this could really happen. And yes if you can install Reckon Accounts Personal Plus into you Dell Laptop that has Windows installed on it that would be the best way.

2. Regarding the error you are getting after reinstalling the program, is it still in the parallel windows? If you still want to try I can suggest try doing the clean uninstall and reinstall of Reckon Accounts using the steps on this link:

http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=4333 

But then again we don't recommend installing the program in the Parallel environment also we don't support this setup.

3. When you open the file coming from a backup location, it is best to open the sample file first and check if the same problem will happen. If the sample file open and the program did not close the problem could be coming from the back up. When the sample file is open, restore the backup file and open it that way instead of opening or double clicking the backup file directly.

Hope this information helps. Let us know if we can assist you much further.

Kind Regards,

Vinia Laguda

Reckon Technical Support

• GTS53
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hello Vinia,

I have installed Reckon on the Dell Laptop, which is how the problem arose!!  I have opened the Sample file first, and there were no problems in doing so - the program opened normally, and displayed the Sample file data.

However, having done so, and then trying to restore the backup file, the result is as before - the program closes almost instantly.

Further assistance is required!!

Kind regards,
    Garry

• vinia
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello Gary,

Thank you for the information. The information you have given me suggested that the issue is in the file. You can try creating a new backup copy if its still possible. If not, please check the following steps below:

1. Copy the backup files to your desktop - create a special folder for it

2. Is the back up an .RKN file or does it contain the extensions:

Qdata.HCX, Qdata.IDX, Qdata.QEF, and Qdata.QEL,Qdata.PH where Qdata is the name of your data file.

3. Right click each files and click Properties, under General Tab, bottom section where it says attributes. Make sure that the "Read Only" is not tick. and then try to restore the back up again.

Please let us know what happen.

Kind Regards,

Vinia

• GTS53
    edited March 2014
    Options
    Hi again Vinia,

The problem remains.  Here is what I'm doing, and what's been happening:

On the Mac with Parallels, where Reckon is presently installed, I have done a backup, and stored that file on a memory stick.  There is just one file, which is a .rkn file.
    I copied the file onto the desktop on my Dell laptop.  I have confirmed that the "Read Only" box is NOT ticked.
    On the laptop, when I open Reckon, I am presented with a screen which asks me to "Select a data file".  I select "Restore a data file I've backed up to CD or disk".
    I then locate the backup file on the desktop, and select it.
    A window then appears telling me where I want to restore the file to (.....Quicken\Sample\).  I accept this default folder.
    A window then tells me that "File restored successfully.  Open the file by choosing Open from the File menu."
    I click OK, select File/Open, then select the "QDATA_20120526_20140303" file - which is a .QDF file.
    As soon as I click OK, the program closes.

If it's relevant, when I open the Sample folder, there are now several QDATA files, with file types .QEL, .HCX, .QPH and .QIN.

Hope the above sheds a little more light on the problem.

Kind regards,
    Garry
  • vinia
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello Gary,

I think its best to discuss this now over the phone, could you send me via email your best contact details and also your customer i.d so I can pull up the records, the records I see under your name is just the QuickBooks 07/08 trial. So I am not sure if that is your account details.

Please send me the information to: vinia.laguda@reckon.com.au

Kind Regards,

Vinia

• vinia
    edited March 2014
    Options

Hello Gary,

Glad to know that its all working now.

Kind Regards,

Vinia