what is the 'ref' column

Options
Randall
Randall Member Posts: 2
The register page in Reckon Personal Plus 2015 has a column called 'ref'.

When I download credit card data as a qif file and import it into Reckon, the 'ref' column populates some entries with 'TXFR' while other entries are blank.

There  does not seem to be any logic as to why some are populated and some not. I have to delete the 'TXFR' before I can change the spending category. Can anyone explain what is happening here?

Comments

• Robyn Kelly (Partner)
    Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 474 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited September 2019
    Options
    Hi Randall

Please click on HELP / PRODUCT HELP / SEARCH tab / and type REF

This will explain what the REF column is but basically a cheque number, transfer or other number you want to reference the transaction.  The import of the credit card data would be automatic when you upload the data.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Robyn Kelly

• Randall
    Randall Member Posts: 2
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Thanks Robyn. On the bank statement the 'num' entry is simply the credit card number. It is present for all items on the statement. But when I import the data into Reckon only some of the entries have the 'ref' column populated and it is populated with this 'TXFR' entry. The nuisance is that I have to delete it before I can alter or add a spending category for the item
  • Shane Smith
    Shane Smith Member Posts: 21
    Options

Hello Team. I have always had the same problem Randall has, although my version is 2021 and the field is now called "Num", and when I import a bank transaction file it populates many transactions as TXFR (Transfer), incorrectly. It causes me a huge amount of work to go through hundreds of transactions and manually delete this TXFR, and then change the Category manually.

There must be a way I can change this field before I Import the file, or alternatively, change it before I "Accept" the transactions.

There doesn't appear to be any place on the "Memorised Payee" list to specify this, or on any other list.

Can anyone help me with this issue, please?

• sgapper
    sgapper Member Posts: 1
    Options

I agree - the deletion of all the "TXFR" fields when I download transcations is a huge waste of time.

How can it be stopped?