New Install won't open existing data file: Personal Plus 2015

Richard_7235811
Richard_7235811 Member Posts: 7
Hi. New computer, existing data file with QDF extension.

The data files were  copied (with a copy of the latest backup) from the old computer

The old computer was  sold with the small business which used it. The new owner did not plan to use Reckon so it was uninstalled and data files cleaned off after a backup. So, unfortunately no I am not sure which version was running.

On advice from Reckon, based on the file extension, I purchased the Personal Plus 2015 Upgrade using my existing customer ID and installed. When I open the  data file, I get the pop-up message:

"This file contains one or more accounts that require access to features not currently activated (e.g. Investing, Business) For more information on how to upgrade,click Renew or Upgrade License in the Help Menu."

The file does not open and I am returned to the sample file.

The software has been activated successfully. I uninstalled and re-installed choosing the extra options for Investors etc. 

Open to suggestions. It's not urgent but I do need to sort it.

Comments

• Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,258 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Hey Richard, it sounds like the file was used in a higher version? In this case it could only be Home and Business previously? Is this the case?
  • Richard_7235811
    edited November 2014
    Hi Mirko, thanks for getting back to me.
    Not sure but that sounds reasonable.
    What is the process to check?
  • Richard_7235811
    edited November 2014
    Mirko, to clarify: I meant to ask, how could I check what version it was created with?
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Hey Richard, unfortunately there is no real way to tell aside from trying to open the file in RAP H&B 2015. If you make a duplicate of the datafile, you could try to download the H&B trial and open it there. Alternatively, if you email me your customer ID to community@reckon.com, I could have a look into your record and see which versions you've registered previously. ^Mirko
  • Richard_7235811
    edited November 2014
    Done. Thanks
  • Richard_7235811
    edited November 2014
    OK, back on site and I find Reckon (Quicken) Home & Business 2009 Upgrade. Not listed under the account.
    Downloading the trial H&B 2015
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Cheers for the update Richard, I was looking into your customer ID and could not locate anything but an 2006 Personal, it had me stumped, I even escalated it on to our Tech Managers. If you have found that there was a H&B installed and file was used on it it would leave you with two paths. As files cannot be downgraded, your options would be, 1. start a new data file in Personal Plus, or, 2. Give our customer service team a call on 1800 RECKON, they can organise upgrade to H&B 2015, and charge you the difference. ^Mirko
  • Richard_7235811
    edited November 2014
    Perfect. I thought Reckon would be able to do this. I'll test the trial then call if it's all good.

Having a problem updating my customer record though. It's in the name of my IT guy, which was convenient before but I have to update the details and it keeps saying the record is locked.
  • Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Richard, not too sure on the finer points there. The customer service team would be able to advise on that too. ^Mirko :)
  • Richard_7235811
    edited November 2014
    OK, for anyone who has the same problem and finds this post:

Order the upgrade of the Personal Plus product, which generates a new licence key. This is entered into the existing product under Help, License Information etc.
    It unlocks the extra features found in Home & Business, no uninstall or re-install needed.

Thanks for your help Mirko, much appreciated.

• Mirko
    edited November 2015
    Great to hear Richard and thanks for posting that to us, I'm sure many users will find it handy. :)