My POS printer takes too long to print a receipt/kitchen docket. It used to work as soon as I presse

Options
Nina Osinski-Daniels
Nina Osinski-Daniels Member Posts: 7
edited August 2019 in Point of Sale
My POS printer takes too long to print out a recipes/kitchen docket. It used to work as soon as I pressed cash. Now it takes 10-15 seconds. Can anyone help?

Comments

• Nina Osinski-Daniels
    edited April 2016
    Options
    We are using POS Professional 2013
    The printer isan Senor GTP-290B it came with the POS system
    I haven't made any changes to anything.
    After the receipt is printed and i press reprint it comes out straight away
    The POS seems to think before it spits out a receipt or a Kitchen docket. 
  • Nina Osinski-Daniels
    edited May 2015
    Options
    It is not a wireless printer its connected to the POS system by a cable
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,256 ✭✭
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Our Techs raised this with one of the POS developers who came back with;

1) Are there any ‘best practices’ for Reckon POS installations?
    Developer: Follow the information in the POS IIFI and POS User Guide (pages 15-17)

2) Any PDB size thresholds that once crossed may result in slower performance?
    Developer: The POS PDB performance will get slower as more records are added to it (eg. transactions, laybys, products, customers etc.) It will also slow occasionally as the number of terminals using the PDB increases. If a user has more than about four terminals then I would suggest using POS Enterprise. When using a PDB, performing a Compact and Repair operation in POS Administrator regularly will help to improve performance and reduce issues with the database. Reducing the period of time that transactions are held in the PDB for will also help performance (POS Adminisytrator > Options > Layby and EOD tabs > Historical Data values) but will also limit the ability to view these older transactions in POS. You can also purge inactive layby customers in the POS Administrator Layby list. Adding images to POS Terminal touchkeyboard buttons helps with recognising the correct button to use but can slow switching from one touchkeyboard layer to another if large image files are used.

• Nina Osinski-Daniels
    edited May 2015
    Options
    i couldn't find the QBPOS.PDB file, so i compacted again and it said that the original file was 78,397,440 bytes and compressed it to 78,086,144 bytes
  • Nina Osinski-Daniels
    edited April 2016
    Options
    Hi Andrew,  thanks for the help. I done all as you said, it reduced the file by 7,00000 bytes. But it didn't fix the problem. IT still takes 10-15 seconds to decide to print out.  It is only for food though. Any order which has just drinks on it, it prints out a receipt straight away.  Maybe its a problem with printing out the kitchen Docket.  Thats what prints out first, then a receipt.

Nina
  • Nina Osinski-Daniels
    edited May 2015
    Options
    No we only have one printer.
  • Nina Osinski-Daniels
    edited May 2015
    Options
    how do i check that?

• Andrew Appleby_7557166
    Andrew Appleby_7557166 Member Posts: 2
    edited April 2016
    Options

Hi Nina, it sounds like the problem is to do with kitchen printing. It is most likely caused by the messaging system being used by kitchen printing being blocked by a firewall. In that scenario, the kitchen printing functionality checks the database every 30 seconds for any kitchen printing requests that were missed, and prints them then. If the messages are received as they should be, the printing is done within seconds. I suggest following the section 'Add an exception to the Windows Firewall on all Point of Sale machines' from page 22 of the 'Important Information for Installers' PDF for POS 2013.

• Andrew Appleby_7557166
    Andrew Appleby_7557166 Member Posts: 2
    edited May 2015
    Options
    Yes Andrew, that's a good idea. Can't remember if it was considered when we added kitchen printing but we should consider it for the next release.