I've lost the ability to print to PDF in Reckon Accounts Accounting 2014. Help Please!

Options
Jason_8055167
Jason_8055167 Member Posts: 2
I am running Windows 7 home premium, 2009 64bit OS. We just upgraded to Reckon Accounts Accounting 2014 in the hopes of being able to print to Adobe PDF. We used to be able to do it when running 2013, but it mysteriously vanished from the printer list when you went to print. We upgraded to see if it fixed the issue, but it hasn't. Is there a simple way to fix this? I have read some threads on here but I'm not that tech savvy when they say start deleting this and re directing this etc. can anyone help me please?

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Jason

First - terrific that you explained your product and operating system arrangements so well - swish more users would get those points identified quickly like you have.

SO,  just clarify which of the following two features, you are missing in RA2014?

a)  Save as PDF

OR

b)   Print to a selected printer, such as a PDF creation program.

I've put the two menu steps on the following screenshots, so you can clarify which one you are trying to achieve

Note there are a couple of PDF line-item options on the next screen.  Advice WHICH one you seek

FYI:  I have a special extra on  (the one I highlighted on the 2nd screen)  which is a 3rd party tool called:  PDF Creator  v1.7.2  for Win7.     T
    his let's you use the traditional  FILE --->   PRINT  -->  (Select a printer)    methodology,
    and it just makes a PDF file.    This is an alternative to the Reckon supplied/built-in PDF v3 (or v4) PDF Converter.  see the features that can be enjoyed on the next screenshot

Meantime,  go to your CONTROL PANEL (of WIndows),  and choose Devices and Printers.  to see a list of these PDF 'pseudo' printers  (programs that make a PDF file, in lieu of a printer printing paper)

Perhaps this will throw some light on what is missing.  If you would prefer to get some direct, personal advice on this,  contact me.

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Great comment Gary.  To me it seems that your last recommended step is going to show up the problem as it looks like Adobe PDF will not be in the list of printers.  For that matter, I don't believe that it would be either unless the whole Adobe program has been purchased and set up on the computer in the first place.  Traditionally people have access to Adobe Reader, rather than anything else unless the printer part has been purchased.  Like you Gary, I use another program to create PDFs and usually the final step is to view the end document in Adobe Reader.  Whilst I am aware that Adobe is trying to allow itself to be more accessible as a printer, my understanding is that this will come at a cost.

Jason, did you ever purchase the full Adobe program in the past?  John L G
  • Jason_8055167
    Jason_8055167 Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Thanks for your replys Gary and John. We did have the Adobe suite on it, indesign, photoshop etc but have removed it. I have just re installed acrobat pro and the option for PDF has returned to the dropdown box in printers. So hopefully will have no more problems.
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Excellent outcome Jason.  John L G