Passwords

Options
CaroleLees
CaroleLees Member Posts: 2

I have two company files set up on my reckon Hosted. I have always had a password on one of the files but not on the other. Last month I put a password on it. On Friday 22 April 2022 I went into that file to finish my monthly BAS and the password would not work. I rang Reckon support and put a note in and spoke to a girl on the phone. She tried everything no avail! I am still waiting for data recovery. Surely I am not alone in this problem. Could someone please help. Carole

Comments

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,293 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    Options

My only suggestion is to restore a backup prior to putting in the password. I’m not aware of any way to recover this other than Reckon, and I’m not sure what is involved there, but I’m sure there will be a fee

• CaroleLees
    CaroleLees Member Posts: 2
    Options

Sounds about right. I have spoken to the recovery team and they are supposed to be getting back to me. Money Money!

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    Options

The suggestion provided by Kris is your best no-cost option, if you are doing regular backups. If not, Reckon will need to gain access to your file, following which they will search through it and find your password. However, as you contemplated, this will cost you money, money, money. When this happened to me because of something stupid that I did quite a few years ago now, I think that it cost me somewhere around $300.

John L G

• Barbara Allen-Guthrie
    Barbara Allen-Guthrie Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Options

Hi Kris I see you suggest backing up the file.

Do you mind telling me steps to take to back it up to my Harddrive or a Google Drive, as I see you can backup to Q or B but assume if you forget your PW then you can't restore it, so this bothers me, just wish to put something in place going forward.

Cheers Barb

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,293 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    Options

After you have backed up you click on the red toolbox icon and click on the down arrow, then select the file from B drive and it will download to your downloads folder. From there you can copy to any drive you wish

• Barbara Allen-Guthrie
    Barbara Allen-Guthrie Member Posts: 130 ✭✭
    Options

Kris I find that odd, so why would you even bother putting a PW on it if you can just restore from the backup.

So really don't use PW at all would say, thank you

• Kris_Williams
    Options

you forgot the new password and so the only way out was to restore from a backup prior to when you added the password. Once the password is in place it is also backed up and so would be there after a restore

some people like or need the added security of a password others don’t, depends on their staff setup amongst other things