What setting do I need to change so that I can look up a GL account code by name instead of number ?

Options
LindaMorris
LindaMorris Member Posts: 10 ✭

Hi there

I am working at a new to me company and they use Reckon Hosted. Their COA is an absolute dogs breakfast and I am spending so much time scrolling up and down the COA looking for accounts. There are accounts with duplicate account numbers - it's a mess.

I have used Reckon previously and was able to type in the name of the account I was looking for and it would bring up any account with that in the name. I have looked and looked but am unable to find the setting that I need to change in order to be able to look up on name as well as account number.

Can anyone help me out with this ?

Thanks so much - any help would be greatly appreciate. Have the best day !

Linda

Best Answer

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,318 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    Answer βœ“
    Options

If your COA has numbers in front of the accounts, and unticking that feature does not hide them maybe the numbers are actually part of the name, in which case typing the name may not work. I always start typing the name in transactions rather than clicking on the down arrow and searching

Answers

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,236 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    Options

I would resort the list first by Name or by Type by simply clicking on the headers.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Alexander McKeown
    Alexander McKeown Reckon Staff Posts: 212 Reckon Staff
    edited April 9
    Options

Dear @LindaMorris ,

You should be able to search by Name/Number of Accounts by using the Find menu.

You can press Control + F to open up the Find menu, and use that to narrow down accounts.

If you're looking through the Chart of Accounts itself, could you show me where the section you're using the search box is?

Kind regards,

Alexander McKeown

Reckon Senior Technical Support

• LindaMorris
    edited April 9
    Options

Sorry - just realised I didn't explain myself clearly.

If I am processing a bill in Suppliers and the expense account is not set up for that supplier as a default account or I am creating a journal to reallocate between expense accounts, I am wanting to type the account name e.g. Training - and then have however many Training accounts they have opened, come up so I can choose which one I need to use.

I hope this clarifies what I am looking for - many thanks

• Tanvi_kataria
    Tanvi_kataria Reckon Staff Posts: 144 Reckon Staff
    Options

Hi @LindaMorris

In Reckon Accounts Hosted, the option to find is when you go in Chart of Accounts, Click on Accounts and select Find transactions in as in the screenshot below -

It will give you an option to choose filter as per your requirements and click Find.

Also, you can open Chart of Account and start typing the Letters from the Account Name, and the list will highlight the name as per the letters you typed. I hope this finds you helpful. Please let us know, if you have any concerns/issues. Thank you!

Regards

Tanvi

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,318 Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert
    Options

I would turn off account numbers and if you are in the COA and you start typing it will bring you to the account. I will say you have to type fairly quickly though, even just the first few letters

• LindaMorris
    Options

Thank you for this - where do I turn the account numbers off ? It's not when I am looking in the COA, it is if I am processing a bill or journal and want to type the account name to find the account that I need to expense the bill or process the journal entry.

• LindaMorris
    Options

Thank you for this - but it's not when I am searching in the COA - it's when I am entering a bill or journal and want to find the account for the expense. Sorry I didn't explain myself clearly to start with πŸ˜”

• Alexander McKeown
    Options

Dear @LindaMorris ,

You can toggle off account numbers by doing the following:

1. Go to Edit.
    2. Go to Preferences.
    3. Select Accounting.
    4. Go to Company Preferences.
    5. Untick the option that says "Use Account Numbers".

Let me know how this goes.

Kind regards,

Alexander McKeown

• LindaMorris
    Options

Thanks Gerry - sorry I didn't explain myself clearly enough - it's when I am processing a bill or journal and want to find the expense account. Now I can hit 6 which will bring up all the expenses but I know I used to be able to type "Staff" in the GL field and it would bring up any account that had "staff" in it.

• LindaMorris
    Options

Thank you - I will give that a go and get back to you

• Kris_Williams
    Options

When you are in a bill you can also start typing the expense account in the account field and it will bring up relevant accounts

• LindaMorris
    Options

Thanks Alexander - I already had it unticked πŸ˜” thank you though. I had looked through Preferences and tried ticking and unticking boxes that looked like they may give me what I was looking for - but I'm still looking unfortunately. I just feel like I am wasting so much time scrolling up and down the COA because of the mess that they are.

• LindaMorris
    Options

Unfortunately when I start typing it brings up all the accounts in the COA not just the accounts with the word I have typed - thank you for your advice though.

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,236 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    Options

I think someone need to log ito your file and see whats going on.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Kris_Williams
    Options

I am happy to help also, I use Reckon Hosted all the time

Kris Williams

• LindaMorris
    Options

Aaaaah - I think that is what it is - they haven't used the Account Number field - they have made the account number part of the name !! I have tried just typing the name in transactions rather than clicking on the down arrow and searching but that isn't working either. Maybe I need to make a project to go through and change the account names into account names and number fields and then I should be able to search on the name. Thank you so much for this - now I can stop pulling my hair out trying to work out why I can't search on the name !!

• Kris_Williams
    Options

You’re very welcome, glad to be of help

• Alexander McKeown
    Options

Dear @LindaMorris ,

Apologies that I did not get back to you sooner around this issue, but I'm glad to see things are resolved.

If you have any further issues, you're always welcome to post them here.

Kind regards,

Alexander McKeown

• LindaMorris
    Options