How to assign asset classes to investment accounts

SY
SY Member Posts: 1
According to the help screen, there is a drop down menu, however I cannot find one. Also going through the setup account process there is no selection for asset class. I am on Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2013 Release R 1.

Comments

• david klumpp
    david klumpp Member Posts: 19
    edited November 2019
    Hello Dave: I have Reckon Personal Plus 2018: my problem is:
    Under Investing tab/ Analysis/ Asset Allocation where one can set up and compare Actual with Target Allocations:
     I cannot get it to list my actual cash accounts (bank accounts) as an asset class. It only shows the Actual equity investments such as Australian & International shares. 
    How do I get this section to show my cash accounts that are there? It does not work when I choose the Option Show accounts All, or the option Multiple accounts (where I can see and select my various cash bank accounts and share accounts)??
    Please advise, what I need to do to get this going.
    David Klumpp
  • Carl Malouf
    Carl Malouf Member Posts: 4
    edited February 2019
    David here's how I do it as I want the same portfolio allocation you refer to.

I use separate projects for cashflow than investing because of this lack of functionality, so this may not be applicable to you, but either way, here's what I do.

Project 1: Cashflow accounts

Project 2: Investments

By segregating the investments into a separate project, you should only have slow moving cash accounts (i.e. term deposits etc etc). As such, the below functionality can be used without too much pain.

1. In the security list, set up an instrument called 'Cash'. So basically, you'll have the name of 'Cash', the security type of 'Cash' and the asset type of 'Cash'.

2. In the specific bank account (say I have $100,000 in Bank A), I put through a 'buy 100,000 shares of Cash at $1' transaction. This of course reduces the cash balance and gives me 100,000 shares of Cash. 

3. Portfolio allocation recognises the Cash allocation doing it this way. Convoluted, yes. Works, yes.