-6000, -80 Quickbooks Plus, not hosted

Options
Carolyne Watson
Carolyne Watson Member Posts: 3
edited December 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

image?I cant open my company file, I have error message -6000, -80. I run QuickBooks Plus 12-13. I don't back up online.

I was backing up, I don't know about others but I've been using QuickBooks since the dos version 1 in about 1992 and it has never been easy to back up.

I click back up, it says the integrity of the file has to be checked. It says there is a problem and you must run rebuild. Before you can rebuild it backs up. You run rebuild then you click back up, it checks the integrity it says its ok then it backs up.

OK, so today I got to the bit where after the first back up I got to the rebuild bit and it stopped responding. I restarted quickbooks, got the error message.  Tried a variety ways of opening the company, restarted the computer.

I still can't open the company file.

Please, can anyone help me? 

Comments

• Inigo
    Inigo Member Posts: 193
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Hi Carolyn,

Sounds like your data file is toasted, lucky you are not on hosted.

Wow 1992! As a long time user of the program, you must have made thousands of backups.

Depending on how often you backup it may be easier to just restore the last good backup you have made.

Give the support people a call and maybe they can give you some tips that may help you open the file.

Getting your file fixed may take a while and cost a bit too.

-IM

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi Carolyne

Because the first backup finished, you should be able to restore that backup.  Rename the current file before you do the restore so you don't overwrite it - I normally add zzCORRUPTED to the front of the name.  Hopefully you data won't be toasted.

Turning to your backup routine,  The option you should choose (via Options button on 2nd screen of Backup) is No Verification (Not Recommended)

Ok - I admit that I like to live dangerously - I NEVER safely remove USB drives and I have been known to commence crossing the road after the don't walk sign starts flashing - but my reasons for this are quite sound.  Doing a complete verification takes time - if you have a big file, it can add 20 mins to the backup time.  Once you start taking longer than 2 mins to backup, people stop backing up as often. I would rather an unverified backup done yesterday than one done last week because backups take to long.  You can also do the verification process separately (once a week perhaps?) as a separate exercise via the File > Utilities > Verify File function.

Once a month you need to do a backup with a complete verification.  This has nothing to do with the verification process, but moire to do with keeping Reckon running smoothly. During this process, Reckon resets the the transaction log (filename.tlg) file. Not resetting this can cause performance degradation and slow backups (particularly the pregnant pause on 99% backed up). 

With regard to your own backup process, it sound like that your datafile has a verification issue that is not being fixed by a rebuild.  I have seen this happen with older files.  Version 7.1 of QuickBooks had the knack of creating the odd transaction that is corrupted or unbalanced.  This often has no bearing or effect on the current operation of the file - it just means it never verifies.

You need to find the transaction, delete it and reenter it, then fix up the bank reconciliation or customer records.  This article covers how to rebuild and some issues you may encounter
    http://library.reckon.com.au/library/pdf/QBi_Rebuilding_data_file.pdf

If this doesn't fix the problem, or if all looks too scary, I can often fix these issues on a fee for service basis.

Graham Boast
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Jo Baker
    Jo Baker Member Posts: 3
    edited November 2015
    Options
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled error message -6000,-82. i cant open my files...Grrrrrrrrr   error message  (-6000, -82)   can anyone help ????? it wont restore a back up either.   this happened when i t ried to open quicken...  its an older version 2009/10     has worked fine last time i used it....

• Inigo
    Inigo Member Posts: 193
    edited April 2015
    Options
    Graham, do you have a 'ball-park' figure on your fees for the kind of repairs you perform?

-IM
  • Jo Baker
    Jo Baker Member Posts: 3
    edited June 2014
    Options
    My problem was fixed by getting a web guy to clean out all the malware and **** from my computer..... It was blocking the files.... Had nothing to do with quick books.....
  • estelle smith
    estelle smith Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2015
    Options
    Write a comment   Error message -6123 has continued over last two months
    Suggested solution says check firewall which is a load of XXX as the code 10176 quoted is exactly the right number
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,256 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hi Estelle, have you tried this support note: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=280 ? If that does not do the trick this would be something to consult with our Tech Support team or your IT Advisor.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Summer li,

Welcome to the Recon Community.

Work through the suggestions in our KB Error -6177, 0 or -6000, -83 when opening a company file on a network until your issue is resolved.

regards,

John.

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Summer li,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Work through the suggestions in our KB Error -6177, 0 or -6000, -83 when opening a company file on a network until your issue is resolved.

regards,

John.