Home Inventory 2016 installed but won't open

Options
Neil Donaldson_7013818
Neil Donaldson_7013818 Member Posts: 19
i have installed RPP 2016 on a new PC (Surface Pro 4). All the data has been copied across and seems to work OK. I have followed community comments and installed Home and Inventory via the Installer file - "C:\TEMP\HAB\DISK1\Reckon Home Inventory Manager\installer\ Then run Qhinstall.exe as administrator." However, when I seek to open the Home Inventory I get a message "Reckon Home Inventory does not appear to be installed ...". I can confirm it is installed, but isn't opening via the "Reckon Home Inventory Manager" link. What else needs to be done?

Comments

• MichaelTechSupport
    MichaelTechSupport Alumni Posts: 13
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Hi Neil,

Can you go to your Control Panel> Programs & Features and check that it is showing it is installed in the control panel like below 

Can you also try install it with the Reckon Home Inventory Manager.msi you can locate this 

C:\temp\ReckonAccountsPersonal2016\HAB\DISK1\Reckon Home Inventory Manager\installer

Regards,

Michael.
  • Neil Donaldson_7013818
    Neil Donaldson_7013818 Member Posts: 19
    edited December 2015
    Options
    Michael
    I can confirm that the program was installed on the computer. I then clicked on the .msi file you mentioned and proceeded to "Repair" the program. The program now opens and I have been able to import the data.
    Many thanks
    Neil
  • MichaelTechSupport
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Great to hear Neil
    Cheers
    Michael.
  • John Clanfield
    John Clanfield Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Michael, I have the exact same problem after upgrading from 2011 to PP 2016. I have tried numerous installs in every enviroment you can think of but no joy. I can't even get the HIM to work stand alone? Any ideas or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks John
  • MichaelTechSupport
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi John,

What errors are you getting in you try install HIM.msi from the above picture ?

and what Operating system are you on eg. windows 10 or 7 ?

Possibly try a repair of the program through Control Panel> Programs & Features

Michael. 
  • John Clanfield
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Michael.

Thanks for your reply and sorry about delay in my response but have been busy of late. Problem is outlined below for your comment and/or assistance.

I can install the new upgrade software without problem but it just doesn't want to work. If I try and run Inventory Manager by itself it does thisimage
    I can select any of the three options but apart from the selection dot moving nothing else happens.

If I try and start Inventory Manager from PP2016 I get the following message everytime 

History as follows;
    • Windows 7, Dell "High Spec" Laptop
    • I have been using Quicken now for over 20+ years
    • No problems with running HIM in 2011 version or previous versions
    • Upgrade from Quicken PP 2011 to Reckon Accounts PP 2016
    • Uninstalled previous version and loaded new 2016 version.
    • Noticed the HIM didn't install automatically during upgrade, had to install manually from the link on the prompt screen belowimage
    • No problems with registration/licencing after upgrade
    • Loaded back up data files for Accounts PP 2016 and all worked ok.
    • Accounts PP 2016 works with no problem (except HIM not interfacing)
    • Loaded software as Administrator with UAC set to highest setting & anti-virus software turned off
    • Have tried re-installing software over a dozen times and in every sequence I could think of but still the same outcome every time. Have tried installs from the Reckon supplied CD & have also downloaded and tried the online .exe file but same outcome.  
    • Have tried "Repair" function from the .MSI file for both pieces of software - no change
    • Have tried running in "XP" compatabiltiy mode - no change.
    • The restored the .QHI data file to the new "Documents\Reckon Home Inventory Manager" folder that was created during the install process.
    • All the Accounts PP 2016 data files are in an adjacent folder "Documents\Quicken" that was created during the install. 
    If you can digest my brain dump above it would be appreciated and if you have any suggestions/ideas it would be great.

Thanks again

John
  • MichaelTechSupport
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi John,

Can you uninstall Reckon account home inventory manager from the windows control panel programs and features and make sure it's not showing up in the programs and features also try using Revo to remove HIM to make sure it's completely gone

Scroll to the bottom and try the installer on HIM then try install from the .MSI 

C:\temp\ReckonAccountsPersonal2016\HAB\DISK1\Reckon Home Inventory Manager\installer

and right click run as admin

http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4333

Let me know how you go 

Kind Regards,

Michael.

• John Clanfield
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Michael,

Firstly, thanks again for your assistance and support, it is appreciated.

Now for the bad news, I tried your suggestions using Revo etc  Anti virus software off, run as Administrator etc and cleaned out as best as I could but am sorry to say all that happens now is as follows;
    1. Start up Reckon PP 2016 - no problems
    2. Go to the Menu Bar and Select - Property & Debt - Home Inventory managerHIM doesn't start and I get the " HIM does not appeared to be installed etc" same as before
    3. Only thing that has changed now is that if I try and run HIM straight from the Program Menu on the desktop, the program cashes immediately with the following screen shot.image
     I am using the ReckonAccountsPersonal_2016.exe file that I downloaded from the website and have unzipped this file several times, all with the same result. I have also tried using the CD that I purchased as part of the upgrade from 2011 - 2016.

I have also tried doing a complete install from the CD but to no avail.

I do have question though - Are you supposed to be able to run HMI as a stand alone program for viewing/editing purposes or does PP2016 have to be running in the background?

Any more suggestions or ideas welcomed.

Thanks

John

• MichaelTechSupport
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi John,

Can you try the below. It's a little bit of back and forward at this point but hopefully this helps us getting you up and running 

We need to make sure it's not showing up under programs and features 
    • Uninstall this Home Inventory Manager installation through the Control Panel:

Start > Control Panel > Quicken Home Inventory Manager > click and select uninstall.

• On the installation disk, go to HAB > Disk1 > Quicken Home Inventory Manager > install > click on Qhinstall.exe
    Let me know how you go, If that doesn't work I can send you a copy of my HIM installation files and try that

I've uploaded the installation on here.

http://www.megafileupload.com/iw1r/Reckon_Home_Inventory_Manager.rar

Kind Regards,

Michael.

• John Clanfield
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi Michael,

Good news at last, the software is finally working and all is good now (fingers crossed :-)

I uninstalled from Control Panel - Went in and manually removed any folders associated with HIM, tried re-installing from the on-line installation file i had, but still no good. Then I installed from the CD as you suggested, rebooted and HIM was up and running. There was a bit of funny stuff happening when I tried to start Accounts PP (something about no on-line update?) and I couldn't open HIM from the Accounts menu bar? 

Anyway I went back to the CD and carried out a "Repair" from the Reckon Accounts 2016.msi file, rebooted again and all came good. Before using the CD, I also tried the repair from the on-line installation file I had, but no good.

I am now suspecting that the Installation file I downloaded originally from the net and ran in C:\Temp folder could be corrupted and this along with some left over bits and pieces from so much playing could have been the problem.

Once again thanks very much for your assistance and patience it was greatly appreciated.

Best Regards

John
  • MichaelTechSupport
    edited January 2016
    Options
    Hi John,

Good to hear :), If any more issue's occur please feel free to contact us on the community forum.

It did sound like that the installation file being corrupted may have been the issue.

Kind Regards,

Michael.