How do I return money paid to me as an overpayment from the ATO?

Patricia Sapuppo
Patricia Sapuppo Member Posts: 2
edited November 2019 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I am using Quickbooks Plus 2010-2011.On my BAS Statement I put a GST against an item that was a personal payment, How to I set up making this GST payment back to ATO

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi Patricia,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

Could I ask you to clarify your issue?

Did you apply a GST tax code to a payment that was a personal payment and should not be included on the BAS return?

regards,
    John
  • Patricia Sapuppo
    Patricia Sapuppo Member Posts: 2
    edited February 2014

Hello John,

This what happened, I had entered a cheque in QuickBooks, and on the business use, I used the GST code NCG  but in this cheque I also have a personal component, which I had the Code NCG on it also,(which I usually leave without any code). and when I happened to look back through my QuickBooks cheque this week I noticed that I had used the NCG code on the personal amount also, which should have been  left with no code at all.. This all happened in the Sept.-Dec. BAS statement. So I have a overpayment made to our business from ATO. So what I need to know is how can I set up a payment to ATO in quickbooks to repay this amount back to them.when I do my next quarterly BAS Statement. .

Thanking kindly,

Patricia                                                                                         

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Thanks for the clarification Patricia,

For the exact type of payment you need to make you'd best contact the ATO and follow their instructions for payment.

If the payment is to be made separately to your next BAS, in Accounts Business, go to Suppliers > Tax Activities > Pay Tax; and a Write Cheque to the ATO with the Tax Payable account selected, will open.   

Hope this helps.

regards,
    John
  • Vanessa_6728216
    Vanessa_6728216 Member Posts: 3
    edited July 2014
    This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled How do I enter a BAS refund from ATO using easystart 2013.