Can I set up a dummy sandpit-file

Options
Denis Bourke
Denis Bourke Member Posts: 12
edited August 2016 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I need to set up a sandpit company file to test the effect of changes in classes and jobs departmentalisation for external reporting rules. Obviously, I am nervous about fiddling with the live Chart of Accounts until I am sure I have it right. Can I set up a dummy company file for free if this is not used in actual operations?

Comments

• ARC BookKeeping
    ARC BookKeeping Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Hi Denis,
    Which Product are you using???
    if it is a Reckon Accounts Business or Home & business range product... 
    It is very easy....

Do a company backup or save portable company file (take carefully note of name of your original file and its location).... then restore that backup but choose a different name to save it as... i normally choose 'playing file' ...

Play away then go back and open your original file. 
    You can have as many company files as you want on a desktop product.

If it is RA Hosted its very much the same...
    If it is Reckon One not so easy as you pay per book.

Cheers
    Angie Carlyle
    Email me if you would like me to talk you through it more directly
    ABCarlyle@xtra.co.nz
  • Denis Bourke
    edited September 2014
    Options
    It is through Reckon Accounts Hosted Edition 2014. I note in the File menu an item New Company. I do not in any way want to use existing material as it is multi-user, and I am dead nervous about infecting the legitimate system. I just want to set up a new company file, try stuff out, and then dump it when I am finished.
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,256 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey Denis, company files are not linked so what ever you do in a separate file you set up will not affect your working file. I would suggest naming the dummy file as such, so no one over-saves any data. - Mirko
  • Denis Bourke
    edited September 2014
    Options

Great! I will take a deep breath and go for it. In my cash-strapped NFP I need to ensure the organisation suffers no costs around my testing activity.

Denis

• Janos
    Janos Member Posts: 30
    edited December 2014
    Options

Hi Denis,

Just another note: make sure you not only change the filename of your dummy company, but also go into the Company info and change your Company name to something like "!!! Dummy !!!". The company name is displayed on the top of your screen and you can easily forget which file you have open. The voice of experience here.

Janos

• ARC BookKeeping
    ARC BookKeeping Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2014
    Options
    Love to know how you are getting on....???
  • Denis Bourke
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Thanks. Yes, experience has taught me this lesson very well too!
  • Denis Bourke
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Been side-tracked with other stuff, but will be trying this soon
  • Denis Bourke
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Now created the Sandpit. Great! Can play around with dummy Jobs and Classes and test out how transactions can be sliced and diced to satisfy reporting to various donors and grants funders. I was dead scared this might infect the real accounting system, but it is quite separate and quarantined. Thanks for all your comments everyone.
  • Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,256 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Great to hear Denis, have fun making sandcastles :)