Payee not recognised

Options
Kellie Vermolen
Kellie Vermolen Member Posts: 4
edited October 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I'm new to bank data and each time I try to 'match' a transaction, system tells me "Payee is not recognised"  - I'm assuming because the name on the statement does not EXACTLY match the name as it's set up in our system???  I can't even call up a list of all customers/suppliers to select the correct one..........am I missing something or doing something wrong?

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Kellie,

Welcome to the Reckon Community.

To help you further can you confirm which product you are using and whether you are using any Naming Rules.  

A description of your steps and at what stage the error is generated will also be helpful

The system should allow you to override any discrepancies with Payee names.

regards,
    John
  • Kellie Vermolen
    edited September 2014
    Options

Thanks John.  I'm using Reckon Accounts Hosted (we've just had the upgrade) and until a month ago I was doing manual bank recs.  We're trialling using BankData to see if it saves time (well that's the hope!).

I have been in contact with Tech Support and the lovely lady emailed me step-by-step guide which works fine till I get to the point of "Add One to Register"......which is where I get another window which says Reckon does not recognise the Payee......and it doesn't matter whether I'm trying to proceed with a 'payment' or a 'deposit', the system doesn't seem to recognise anything!!

Even if I change a supplier/customer name to reflect the exact wording/letters that appear on the bankdata download, I still get the same "does not recognise the payee" message........

• John G
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Kellie,

Is this the message you are getting:
    You get this when you select the Write Cheque option and the payee does not exist in your company file.  Just click on Fast Add or Setup and you'll be prompted to create a Payee in that name.

In this example the payee is not a payee but appears to be an expense account.  This results from the way the payment was made through your bank account.  It is common where you use a 3rd party Debit Card.  This example was done by a Visa Debit Card through a St George Bank account.  You can see it inside the a QIF file:

You can see the Bank sees Visa Purchase O/Seas as the Payee and other information as detail.  The import only brings in the Payee and not the detail you really want.  

For this type of use there is no way around other than by changing the payee in the Payee field ofthe Write Cheque, and create a new payee if he does not exist.

If you apply this to an outstanding Bill (or Tax Invoice) then your selection of bill will overwrite the payee from the bank.  

Does this help you with your situation?

regards,
    John

• Kellie Vermolen
    edited September 2014
    Options
    Hi John, thanks again for your reply.
    Yes, that is the message I am getting.....though I'm starting with trying to match deposits so it's a little different.  
    As an example, lets say I have a customer named WebDesign Pty Ltd that we've done some work for.  I raise three invoices for $250 each against this customer.  They direct deposit into our bank account $500 and the bank data downloads "Webdes 551 553".  My assumption is that WebDesign have entered this payment detail in their bank transfer noting they are paying invoice numbers 551 & 553.  When I select "Add one to Register" I do get the message you identify above......however I know we DO have WebDesign set up as I have already raised three invoices - however RAH doesn't recognise them because there's different payee detail in the bank data.  All I want to be able to do is tell RAH that Webdes is in fact WebDesign Pty Ltd in our system........is this not possible???  Once I can open up the payee, I'm assuming that it's at that point I will be able to allocate the payment against the invoices actually paid.
    John, are you aware of any webinars or other training I can pursue - we've signed up to bank data only a month ago to see if it's going to save some time.........at this stage I'm thinking it's a bigger headache than it's worth unless I can figure out how to navigate it all properly.....and you and I are still trying to solve just the debtors side!!!
    Appreciate your help John!  
  • John G
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Kellie, thanks for the update.

It sounds like you are getting the right payee from the bank, but it is written differently to the name you have in your file.

You need 'renaming rules' like those available in the Personal Range and in Reckon One, that are not available in Accounts Business at present.  They will be included in the 2015 release so from then you will be able to do what you want.

In the meantime your options are to rename the payee in Accounts Business to match the name in the bank download or continue to select the correct name on the Write Cheque / Make Deposit form.

You don't have this issue when the entry is paying a bill or receiving money for an invoice.

BankData for Accounts Business replaces the need for you to go to your bank website, prepare a list of transactions, create a QIF file and import it into your company file.  Once in your company file, the processes are the same for BankData and the manual import of a QIF file to distribute the transactions into your registers.  Naming Rules will make the whole process simpler again.  .  

regards,
    John
  • ARC BookKeeping
    ARC BookKeeping Member Posts: 168
    edited October 2014
    Options
    Hi There Kellie
    Just wondering if you have looked in your preferences there is a little button that may or may not help you....

Go Preferences/My Preferences/Banking/ Make sure that the 'online banking' option 'always use the register when adding downloaded transactions' is UN TICKed

see if this makes any difference...

this will then allow you to choose when entering money coming into the account 'Receive payment' 'Make deposit' or 'use register'

and when entering a withdraw from the account.... 'Pay Bill' 'write chq' or 'use register'

and in the 'Pay bill' /'Receive payment' screens you get to choose a customer/supplier that is already in your system.

Cheers
    Angie Carlyle
    image?
  • Kellie Vermolen
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Angie, Angie, Angie, where have you been all my life.......well the last fortnight anyway!!!  Call after call, email after email to Tech Support and nowhere...........you pop onto my post and SAVE THE DAY.  Did it make a difference - absolutely.  I have been able "Add one to Register" and then receipt multiple invoice payments all WITHOUT the "payee not recognised" issue.  What a difference!!  Now I feel ready to try to tackle creditor payments (ie. internet multi payments) so you may here from me again (if you don't mind!??).  Can't thank you enough Angie for thinking 'outside the square' and helping me.  Truly, much appreciated :)