Tracking of tax on expenses does not work on EasyStart. How can I fix this?

Options
Michelle Godfrey
Michelle Godfrey Member Posts: 4
edited October 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

Comments

• Mirko
    Mirko Alumni Posts: 1,256 ✭✭
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Hey Michelle, welcome to the Reckon Community. Have you turned tax on in File>Preferences?
  • Stephen Holloway
    Stephen Holloway Member Posts: 5
    edited November 2014
    Options

Hello Michelle,

I finally solved the problem a slightly different way to what Mirko suggested and would be interested to know if you still have the problem?

Steve Holloway

• Michelle Godfrey
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi guys, I can't set any tax options for expenses/purchases File>Preferences! It lets me fill in the billing options, and it lets me select an answer to whether I charge tax when I make a sale. But when I try to click on the blue link "how do I set up my tax preferences?" nothing happens. I'm beginning to think it hasn't installed properly?!
  • Andrew Hellier_6247585
    Andrew Hellier_6247585 Reckon Staff Posts: 169 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hi Michelle,

From your comments it seems that Reckon Accounts Easy Start is basic for your needs.

If you require tax tracking on expenses and purchases. I would suggest stepping up to Reckon Accounts Accounting, This will allow full tax tracking, Integrated BAS and tracking of outstanding payments.

You can give Reckon a call on 1800 732 566 to discuss pricing options.

Cheers,
    Andrew

• Andrew Hellier_6247585
    Andrew Hellier_6247585 Reckon Staff Posts: 169 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Further to this,

You can still track the tax on an expense in Easy Start although only through the "write cheques" option.

Cheers,
    Andrew
  • Michelle Godfrey
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Hi Andrew,

Firstly, Reckon advertise that the EasyStart version of Reckon Accounts tracks GST for preparation a BAS. That's all I need it to do. Tax in, tax out and bank reconciliation. Surely a more powerful version would not be required. The only advantage for me in purchasing a more powerful version would be to get phone support to help sort this out - all the other features are useless to me!
    I have used Quickbooks in my workplace for the last 17 years, so do know my way around Reckon products ( and I certainly don't need that level of sophistication for my very small home business).
    I have tried entering GST through the Write Cheques window but get an error message saying: "You will not be able to use this tax code because it does not have a purchase tax item defined".Then when I try to "define a tax code" through preferences there's nothing there (per my above comment). 
    To say I'm getting very frustrated is an understatement :(

• Michelle Godfrey
    edited November 2014
    Options
    Just to let anyone else who might be having this problem - I have worked out a way around the issue I have been having as per my above posts: 
    In the versions of Quickbooks I have used at work you can use the code "GST" for tracking tax on sales and purchases. But in the Easy Start package you can only use GST for one or the other! I have therefore left GST to be used on sales, and have used "NCG" which is Non Capital Acquisitions - Incl. GST to track tax on purchases.  
    Phew, so glad I thought outside the square!! I was ready to go back to Officeworks where I purchased my Easy Start and told them exactly what to do with Reckon products !!!