Inventory value not showing on Balance Sheet

Options
Erin Hancock
Erin Hancock Member Posts: 3
edited December 2017 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
I use Reckon Accounts Accounting Small Business Edition 2014.

Yesterday I turned on the Inventory function, set up all the inventory items and then Adjusted Inventory on Hand to reflect the quantity and value of items as per a recent stocktake.  

I can call an Inventory Valuation Summary report and the total quantity and value on the stocktake date is correct.

I recorded the Adjustment Account as "Inventory Asset" as per the instructions I had.

I expect that this "Inventory Asset" account would then appear on the balance sheet at the value I entered, on the stocktake date.  But its not there.

I tested it, by completing a sale of one of the items, & then the "Inventory Asset" account shows on the balance sheet at minus the value of the item sold (ie its cost of $90.24 and it shows on the Balance Sheet as -$90.24.)

Why isn't the correct value appearing on the Balance Sheet on that stocktake date, please?

Do I need to set an opening balance and if so where/when?

Thanks in advance, 
Erin 

Comments

• Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Options
    Hi Erin

Adjustment Account should be anything but "Inventory Asset".  If it's a new file, Opening Bal Equity.  If an existing file, an Expense Account called Stock Adjustments.

Graham Boast 0409317366
    Reckon Accredited Consultant
    graham@reckonhelp.com.au
    http://reckonhelp.com.au/remotesupport.htm

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Erin Hancock
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Graham. While the file is not new, this is the first time inventory is being used so in that case "opening balance equity" would be ok to use? Erin
  • Graham Boast
    Graham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 331 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2017
    Options
    No right answer but Opening Bal Equity may be better in this case so it doesn't distort your P&L.

Graham

Graham Boast | 0409 317366 | graham@reckonhelp.com.au

• Erin Hancock
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks again. That's what I was worried about with the stock adjustments option. E