Options
Kerry_7839951
Kerry_7839951 Member Posts: 9

Comments

• Kerry_7839951
    edited August 2016
    Options
    don't know if my post was posted ! I over paid a supplier 12months ago. I have rung the supplier and owe nothing at the moment but reckon says I do. How do I fix it?
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Kerry.  If you overpaid the supplier, then they would owe you, rather than you owing them.  Does your Reckon supplier account indicate a negative balance, which, if it does, would tend to indicate that there has been an overpayment, meaning that the supplier owes you money?  Did they send the money back to you or credit your bank account?  If they have then it would seem that you have not correctly recorded the money coming back by passing it through the Accounts Payable account, designating it for that particular supplier.
    Perhaps you need to get a statement from the Supplier so that you can see what actually happened, or speak to them again and ask them what they did about refunding the amount to you.
    John L G
  • Kerry_7839951
    edited August 2016
    Options
    mmm I'm a bit embarassed. I haven't overpaid supplier I have an amount owing in reckon that is not owing on the suppliers end so I guess I have not recorded a payment that I have made. the trouble is that it was from last year.
  • John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Kerry.  You need to go to the Supplier Centre, find your supplier on the list and then have a look at the list of transactions.  The possibility is that you have recorded this transaction once as a Bill and then when you have paid it, you haven't used the Suppliers> Pay Bills, but instead have just recorded a cheque with the same expense details.  See if you can find a bill for the amount and a cheque payment for the similar amount and then you will have your answer.  Depending on whether you use Cash or Accrual Accounting for GST purposes, you could have claimed the GST on this transaction twice.  If this is the case, you will need to reverse the transaction, using a General Journal under a current date, so as to get the reversal into your current transactions.  You could also do this by recording a Credit Note for the Supplier, even though you didn't get one, but the effect is the same - it will effectively reverse the transaction and correctly account for the GST.  See how you go in your search.  John L G
  • Kerry_7839951
    edited August 2016
    Options
    thank you John I am going to give the supplier a credit