Reckon Accounts Personal Plus 2016 Problems

Options
Rob_7858210
Rob_7858210 Member Posts: 6
I have a new computer running Windows 8.1 and have just removed RAPP 2015 that I installed a few days ago using an uninstall program to make sure all the bits in the registry were removed.  I then changed UAC to zero and turned off my anti virus program.

After installing RAPP 2016 every time I access the program I get the following:
1  UAC asked if I wanted to allow programs to make changes to my computer - I answered yes
2 Then I get the screen asking if I was new to Quicken - answer NO, then it lists my accounts, but I receive the message that it cannot find the file!  
3  Also by the way if the wrong password is entered the program locks the computer and you have to Ctrl-Alt-Del to remove the non responding program.

I found a work around for items 1 & 2 by creating shortcuts on the desktop.  Then once in the program one can change between accounst without a problem.

My Account files were 8 characters or less, but when I backed them up to install on this computer they have the date attached which makes them longer than the 8 characters.  I cannot rename the files within the program as I get an error and am wondering if I can reliably rename each file individually (HCX, IDX, QEL, QIN & QPH) and can be guaranteed that everything will work OK?

Any assistance will be appreciated.

Rob

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Rob

I'm a bit of a fan for putting DATA in a totally isolated, separate place - a bit like what a server does if you think about it.    The world of malware just loves to seek out files in commonly expected places like "My Documents/this  and  ....that".

I tend to create a nice simple  "c:/myDATA"  folder for anything that all logged in users want to access.

You could do the same, and go COPY and PASTE (not 'move' !!!)  the suite of DATA files that you're having trouble with.

Then rename them all to some nice soft abbreviation of your entity, leaving out any spaces or special characters:

Finally, make a short cut to the main DATA fele  c:\myDATA\xxxxx.QDF

If you like the idea - it's yours.   If it works but you'd prefer some other traditional locations - fine,  but at least you'll have practised and demonstrated to yourself that the copying and renaming has been successful.

Cheers

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"

• Rob_7858210
    Rob_7858210 Member Posts: 6
    edited November 2015
    Options
    Thanks Gary.  I do have the files in a folder of their own, but am concerned that if I rename each file manually will Quicken be able to access them?
  • gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Rob.  

My point was to try it in a dark corner  say:  c:\myDATA  ....   IE:  make a totally separate set of these files to play with.

Gary
  • Don Barry
    Don Barry Member Posts: 1
    edited November 2015
    Options
    I have just installed RAPP2016 on a clean install Windows 10 Pro x64 , backed up my 2015 data files on my Windows 7 Pro x64 system as a .rkn file, and restored it on my Win 10 system. I then changed the file names. Now every time I open RAPP 2016, like Rob, I get the welcome screen asking if I'm new to Quicken. I've tried backing up and restoring but it makes no difference. The data files are located on a different drive to where RAPP is installed which was what I had on my Win 7 system. The only difference this time is that the file names are 16 characters in length. Is there a maximum length to file names? Apart from the file opening problem RAPP 2016 seems to run okay. Don