GST ON IMPORTS PAID NOT SHOWING ON TAX SUMMARY REPORT

Options
Kathy_8028595
Kathy_8028595 Member Posts: 21
Hi, I use Accounts Premier 2015 Manuf. & Wholesale,  I am entering gst on imports in a bill to our freight importer - as item, then 0 in net, then NCG in tax code and the gst amount in the Tax amt column. My problem is when I run the bas figures it shows up in my Tax detail report (cash tax) but not in the Total tax in the Tax Summary Report. So my question is, it looks like I am not cliaming the credit for paying the gst on imports, I cannot see where it is on my Tax Summary report? Any advice? Thanks, Kathy

Comments

• John Graetz
    John Graetz Member Posts: 1,651 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    Hi Kathy.  Perhaps things show up differently in your version of RA because I don't quite see some the things you are talking about e.g. "0 in the net".  My understanding of what you have got on your plate, based on something similar that I have encountered, is this:
    1.  You originally had a bill which didn't include any GST because it was an overseas transaction.  Not sure if you used say a NCF code or not with that transaction.
    2.  You now how a bill from Customs (or whoever) to pay for the GST on that transaction, because it was over the threshold allowable for no payment of GST.
    3.  Your problem seems to be due to the fact that you are trying to record GST without there being any value in the bill that you are entering for which GST is attributable - there needs to be a value otherwise you will get reports being generated which don't tally.
    4.  This is how I would go about it and for the purpose of the exercise we will assume that the original cost was $1,000 and that you have now been billed GST of $100.  The bill is now going to be for $100 (the amount of the GST).  In the first line of your bill dissection, you would enter a reversal of the previous transaction with a negative value of $1,000 (the original amount paid) and either with no GST code or NCF - using the same code as you did when entering your original bill (probably best to use no GST code unless you have sufficient other NCF items for the month which can swallow up the value involved) .  On the second line of your bill, you would use the same item again, use a GST code of NCG and then this would automatically fill as a gross amount of $1,100 (this is the new amount of the transaction with an original cost of $1,000 to which has been added GST) and GST of $100.  Save the transaction and you are done.  Your reports should now show up correctly.
    5.  What I believe that you have tried to do and the result that you have ended up with, probably goes along these lines.  If we assume that you have no other transactions for the month, your tax account has ended up with $100 in it, but there is no purchase showing up for where this amount came from.  I believe that my steps above will solve your problem.
    John L G