Item Import Duplicate Entires

Morgan_8359456
Morgan_8359456 Member Posts: 7
We have around 1000 items in 'Reckon Accounts Accounting: Small Business Edition 2014'

I am trying to update the Item Name/Number field, specifically to remove the Subitem Of field.

Currently:
Top Level Item:Secondary Level Item:Item Name/Number
Desired:
Item Name/Number

I have been able to export iif, manipulate the data in excel to the desired naming convention by removing the hierarchical structure in the name (Going from Top Level Item:Secondary Level Item:Item Name/Number to Item Name/Number), then import back into Reckon successfully.

The problem however, is that instead of updating the Items, the import is creating new (duplicating) items where data has been altered, so that now I have duplicated all items and have around 2000 entries.

How can I achieve this outcome without duplication? My main aim is to preserve historical sales data linked to the 'Items', but with the new naming convention.

Below I have included a screenshot of the current (hierarchical inventory: top 4/5th's) vs. desired (flat inventory: bottom 1/5th) 

Comments

• DebonAir
    DebonAir Member Posts: 392
    edited May 2017
    The problem seems to be that you have changed the original item as it is in Reckon and so importing has created a new item, it will not import back to the same item if you have changed the item significantly.  This kind of change will only be useful at the time of creating a new company file.

If you have done a backup before the import, then you can restore from a back up to put your file back to original quickly. 

• Steve_8233215
    Steve_8233215 Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2016
    As you mentioned that you require the original data associated with the pre-import items another solution is to re-export the entire item list again, change the active status to hidden for only the original items and then rei-import. Just make sure that you don't change the original item name otherwise you'll end up with a heap more items. Hope this helps
  • Morgan_8359456
    edited July 2016
    Correct.

Backup's were done and restored.

So, how do I change the item(s)?

I've worked in NetSuite before and there was the 'Internal ID' field that was global ID field for all item types. Can I assume that this global ID does not exist in Reckon? Is the 'Name' field in Reckon the global ID field?
  • DebonAir
    edited May 2017
    Hi, well, you could do as Steve suggests, or you can manually go into each item and make changes and change subs not needed as inactive.

Either way it is a big task with so many items.
  • Morgan_8359456
    edited July 2016
    So it seems that there is no easy way to change the 'Name' field in Reckon in an export/import way?

It'll take me all afternoon, but I have resorted to double clicking on an item, deselecting the 'Subitem Of' check box and confirming, which changes the item name and thankfully changes corresponding purchase orders, invoices, etc...

If any knows if you can change Item Name on a IIF import, it would still be a valuable piece of information for Reckon users.
  • DebonAir
    edited May 2017
    You can't change the name because the item list is created on the name. If you change it outside of Reckon and import it then it will create a new item as it is not recognised as the same item.
  • Morgan_8359456
    edited July 2016
    Hey DebonAir,

Yes that is crystal clear from earlier posts.

More powerful ERP software have dedicated record ID fields which denote a record be it; inventory, customer, invoice, etc...

Having the record in Reckon based upon the name of the record means that a simple renaming task that I am trying to attempt is impossible (as far as responses so far have indicated).

I would implore reckon c-levels to look at this change moving forward as it decouples the data from entry and would make the platform much more usable. 

As it stands my wrist is already hurting. Maybe I can get some RSI compo from Reckon? ;-)
  • DebonAir
    edited May 2017
    It might be useful in future for you test a few lines before making major changes and see the outcome and carefully make decisions on the best way to make these kinds of changes based how the program is functioning. 
    Reckon is a wonderful program if the user becomes familiar with its operations and does not base important decisions on the functionalities of other programs and then tries to broadly apply these changes to another program not written on the same format.
    I am sorry this has taken a long time to make changes, certainly shows the need to test how a program works before making extensive changes that might appear to be useful but end up having the opposite effect.
    Good luck with it all.
  • Morgan_8359456
    edited July 2016
    Core functionality mate.
    I'm sure it will work well for you until it doesn't. Making it more powerful would benefit everybody.
    Don't be an apologist. We're all trying to make these things work for us.
    Thanks for your help :-)
  • DebonAir
    edited December 2016
    Not being apologist at all, have worked with this program for 7 years and have always tested functionality before making major changes which has saved a lot of wasted time.
    You can certainly put in a request for a change, or you can learn the basic functions of a program and then make your decisions for changes based on the program rather on how you think it should function.

• Morgan_8359456
    edited July 2016
    Done! Only took an hour to do 1000 items.
    FYI, turn your screen to portrait and sort via Account and not Name so that your list doesn't jump each time you deselect Subitem Of.
    Phew!
  • Morgan_8359456
    edited July 2016
    The problem is; if you are forced to make a major change, but the program doesn't have that basic functionality, then you are up you know what creek without a paddle.
    If you read my posts carefully, then you will see that the rote route I just went down over the last hour+sore wrist, was the only way to make the changes I had to. If the core logic behind Reckon had a global record ID, then it would have taken me about 5 minutes plus saved the hours of research I did before I even logged a question.
    Don't lecture people. Help them. That's what this is here for. When I make a comment about Reckon, it is not a personnel slur mon amie.
  • DebonAir
    edited May 2017
    I was trying to help you. 
    Put in a request to Reckon to change the program to suit your needs.