🚨 STP SUBMISSION PROCESSING DELAYS 🚨

Currently there are delays with STP submissions being processed due to a ATO system issue. Submissions are currently queued and will be sent for processing once we've received confirmation the ATO have resolved their issue.

My Security Value in Account Status shows an amount though I have no Holdings, how do I get rid of t

Peter
Peter Member Posts: 5

Comments

• David M
    David M Member Posts: 81
    edited January 2019
    I have not had the problem before, but would think if you posted a negative 'return of capital', you should clear the balance.
    Any subsequent cash balance can be cleared with a 'misc income / expense' transaction.
  • Peter
    edited January 2019

Thanks David. I don't have a negative return of capital, I think this happened when I changed the date on some transactions and the system got confused about the P&L on my stock trades. I've deleted the transactions but to no avail. The P&L report is correct, but the Security Value is negative.

• David M
    edited January 2019
    Hi Peter
    I was apparently unclear.
    If you now go and enter a negative 'return of capital', you will clear the balance that is the cause of your problem. It will take out the value without impacting the number of shares - currently correctly zero.
  • John Campbell
    John Campbell Member Posts: 200 ✭✭
    edited January 2019

The value in the account can also be the result of retained dividend associated with a dividend reinvestment. This occurs if there is a cash balance carried forward in your share plan account, eg with Westpac, ANZ and many other similar companies.
  • Peter
    edited January 2019

Thanks John, that's not my situation but I appreciate your assistance.
  • Peter
    edited January 2019

David, thanks for the clarification. If I enter the return of capital, this creates additional (incorrect) income in the P&L report, which I can only remove with a one-sided entry otherwise the balance sheet will be wrong.
  • David M
    edited January 2019
    Peter
    You are correct about the P & L effect. However, you need this to offset and correct the (incorrect) balance in the P & L account from having this 'unreal' asset value there initially.
  • Peter
    edited January 2019

Thanks David. Seems that double entry is an inviolable rule!