backup read only file

Andrea Westwood
Andrea Westwood Member Posts: 7
I have had an issue with a motherboard, and needed to re-install Reckon Personal Plus which I have been running forever.
My last back up was on PersonalPlus 2017, and it's no longer supported technically .
In any case, on both 2017 and 2020 versions, I cannot open my backup copies because of that pesky "read-only" file type.
I've scanned through the answers you experts have provided to others, and I cannot seem to replicate the fix.
Is there anything you can suggest to help me with this issue: with +15 years of data history I am disinclined to start another file all over again!
Reckon wants me to install a more expensive home and business account AND charge me double for the technical support, which I am hoping I will only need for 10 minutes to restore my data.
Can anyone help a reasonably tech-savvy and seasoned user of this software?

Comments

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited November 2019
    Hi Andrea,
    Which backup option did you use and have you installed the 2020 version of PP, where are your backups now.

Gerry 0418907140 call me if you wish.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Andrea Westwood
    edited November 2019
    I was using PP2017 when I did the back ups to an external drive. Not sure that I had options for back up, but I ended up with xxxxxxxxxx.rkn, as well as the other data files that accompany them. They’re not zip files. Installed and registered 2020, and the backups for the new data are in /sample/backup. The previous back ups are on a separate drive.
  • Andrea Westwood
    edited November 2019
    So I have a series of files: rkn, qdf etc. Are you saying if I change the xxxxx.rdf file to a xxxxx.zip one that would work?
  • GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,204 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited November 2019
    Open the Sample file that came with the download and do the above.
    Gerry

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Andrea Westwood
    edited November 2019
    Hi there, I’ve tried that, still read-only and won’t open
  • Andrea Westwood
    edited November 2019
    David, I found a recent backup .rkn file, changed it to .zip, unzipped it again, and it now opens in 2020.
    Thank you soooo much. None of the other options worked, but I am back in business now!
  • Andrea Westwood
    edited November 2019
    did your .zip suggestion - see above!
  • Andrea Westwood
    edited November 2019
    Thanks you guys - I have my solution and I can donate the $$ I might have paid Reckon to a charity of your choice - you've been invaluable!!!