Viewing password protected PDF attachments in Reckon Accounts - Home & Business 2020

Hi, I am new to this forum and would appreciate if someone could provide direction to an issue I have occurring when viewing password protected PDF files attached to a transaction. For years, I have attached password protected files against transactions and have been able to enter the password to view the content. Of late, the viewer is not asking for the password (when attaching nor when trying to view) and only shows a grey screen. Attachments which are not password protected, display immediately and without problem. I can export the attachment and can open on my computer once the password is entered, so I assume the file is intact. My computer was previously using IE but recently changed to MS Edge as well as Google. I am using Win10. I also note that attachments from past years which previously could be viewed, no longer can be viewed (no option for password offered)

Any assistance appreciated.

Comments

• Steve CookSteve Cook Member Posts: 161 ✭✭

Install Adobe Reader. Then make it the default app for PDF files.

• MangaleeMangalee Member Posts: 6

Hi Steve, thanks for your feedback. Unfortunately, I do have Adobe Reader DC installed and have checked for updates. It appears to be the latest. I have also rechecked that this app is the default for .pdf files. Still, I cannot get Reckon H&B 2020 viewer to ask for a password in order to display the attachment. It does not ask for a password when first attaching the file nor when trying to view. The transaction attachment screen opens and identifies the file attachment but the viewing screen is grey. For unprotected pdf files, they do display correctly. Previously with password protected files, when I clicked on the file it would open the transaction attachment screen and then prompt for password entry. The only update I can think of (other than Win10 updates) is a move from IE to Microsoft Edge. Unsure if this is related to my issue.

Any further assistance is appreciated.

regards

• RavRav Administrator Posts: 10,894 Administrator

Hi @Mangalee

If you switch back to Internet Explorer and retry/test, does the PDF prompt for a password as it did previously? Or does it exhibit the same (new) behaviour?

Hi Rav - a recent MS update seems to have removed IE and replaced with Edge. Are you suggesting I download IE11 and reinstall ie delete Edge? thanks

• Kris_WilliamsKris_Williams Member Posts: 1,184 ✭✭✭

internet Explorer may still be on your machine, type in search bar and look for it

• Robyn Kelly (Partner)Robyn Kelly (Partner) Accredited Partner Posts: 538 ✭✭

Have you tried Google Chrome?

Also is it anything to do with the transaction password date? I haven't come across your situation before but just making suggestions from other similar issues.

Also have you tried googling your problem?

Hi Robyn, when you suggest Google Chrome, I'm unsure what you mean. I have Google Chrome, as wellas MS Edge and I've just downloaded IE11. Is there a setting within Reckon Accounts H&B2020 which I am supposed to set to point to one of these browsers? thanks

Hi Robyn - I have old transactions with password protected attachments which use to display (ie I was asked to enter the password at the time of attachment and then everytime I wanted to view the attachement). These now no longer work ie I don't get asked to enter a password. Additionally, I have new transactions whereby I have attached a password protected file but I am not being asked to enter the password when attaching. The viewer remains grey however the file does attach to the transaction. Unfortunately like all of the other password pdfs, I cannot view from within Reckon.

Appreciate if you can explain the link between the Reckon application and the external viewer (IE, Edge or Google). I'm clearly not understanding how these relate to the application for viewing PDFs.

thanks

I was unsure of the link to the internet browser myself, however noted that your ability to protect changed since you upgraded your computer (inlcuding the browsers).

I believe it's in connection with upgrading and the difference between what you had installed previoulsy and what you have installed now. Could also be the way you installed the program on the new computer & how you brought across the data file. Can you give me a bit more insight into how that process happened?

ie Did you back up a RKN backup or the 5 files in a backup? Did you restore the data file or only copy & paste the QDF data file?

Hi Robyn, just to clarify, I have not upgraded or changed my computer. The computer and applications are the same as has been for several years. The only changes I have made is moving from Reckon H&B 2019 to 2020 version. I have also undergone microsoft updates which included an update from internet explorer to MS Edge. Other than these I believe the system and applications have remained the same.

I do a daily RKN backup and I believe I restored when I went to the 2020 version by opening from a backed up file.

@Rav Are you able to please double check if there was a change in the handling of PDF attachments from H&B version 2019 to 2020 and in particular password protection of the attached PDF document please.

Thank you

Robyn Kelly

• RavRav Administrator Posts: 10,894 Administrator

@Mangalee @Robyn Kelly (Partner) I've just checked in with the Personal Range product manager this morning who has confirmed there are haven't been any changes within the software itself to affect PDF functionality.

Thanks @Rav - can you please let me know whch file extension holds the PDF attachments - I'm wondering if @Mangalee has not brought that file across on the upgrade / restore process - is that possible? Or is it possible that the PDF application has had an update too?

Thank you

Robyn Kelly