Quicken 2012

Options

I have been using Quicken 7 for far more years than I care to remember. It is presently running on an old XP machine. It is very ergonomic and stable and a pleasure to use and I would rather not change.

With a move to WIN 10 I have purchased a copy of Q2012 and have been going through the laborious process of using Q2004 as an intermediary step in the conversion from V7 to Q2012. This has worked for the smaller files I use. Q2012/WIN_10 is all on a separate machine.

However my impressions are that 2012 is very bug ridden. It is certainly not as ergonomic. Major bugs I have found so far are:

1) when doing a find & replace of category names it had a major irrecoverable error producing a log which it offered to send to Quicken. Clicking "yes" merely resulted in a message saying unable to send! Very helpful. It then closed. On restarting it then demanded that I relicense! This I did but don't wish to be exposed to this procedure when doing future Find&Replace actions.

2) I did a statement reconciliation. This automatically picks up the last closing balance (opening balance of new statement) and leaves the closing balance of the new statement to be entered manually. This is a user specified amount and Quicken has no input into its derivation. I then started the reconciliation process - viz clicking on the Quicken line entry whilst also ticking off the corresponding paper statement entry. When doing so I noted a duplicate line entry which I simply deleted - a process I have done many times in Q7. However this time Q2012 changed the closing balance of my paper statement (which I had earlier keyed in) by the amount of the deleted (and not ticked off) transaction!!! It has no right to do this!! Without going back and rekeying the correct amount back in I could not complete the statement reconciliation. This is entirely unacceptable. How on earth this got through the testing process escapes me.

I have a dilemma. I need to move off Q7 so as to migrate to WIN 10. My needs are simple in that I never need to download transactions from financial institutions so contant updates to this feature is irrelevant. My experience to date gives me no confidence in Q2012. I am reluctant to start the transfer of over 20 years of transactions from my larger files from a stable version to a bug ridden one. My question is: is Quicken Reckon) aware of these issues. My version is Q2012 R1, New Zealand edition. I understand there are patches available but so far the only ones I could find are strictly for the US/Canadian market. Am i advised to use 2004 which I understand will run on Win 10?

Thanks

William

Comments

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,232 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    Options

Sorry to hear all that but every time these problems arise they are nearly always data issues in the clients file and as your file is very old and large i would think this is likely, if you want send me a backup and i will try and bring it into the latest version and see what problems you may have. No cost.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• William_10861698
    William_10861698 Member Posts: 8
    Options

Thanks Gerry . The files I have brought over are the small ones - I thought I would check out everything on these first before bringing over the very large ones - which. as you have gathered, I am getting very reluctant to do from experience to date.

Just to fully understand your kind offer - are you saying if I send you a large Q7 file you could return it as one compatible with Q2012?

Also I did note on my reading of the forum that other people have made commenmts on the buggy nature of Q2012. Any idea how I can get patches for the AUS/NZ edition?. These may address a few issues.

Many thanks

William

ps I gather that phone number is an AUS one. I am in NZ.

• GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,232 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited August 2021
    Options

Willian,

I could only send it back as a 2021 current version ( i hope )

I am in Assie WA

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• GerryWinter
    Options

There may be an issue as the NZ version is specifically for your location.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

• GerryWinter
    Options

There may be an issue as your version is a NZ and mine is and AU version

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"