IIF file for general journal discussion

Dianita
Dianita Member Posts: 114 ✭✭
edited February 2022 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)

Hello morning Team,

Just wondering if anyone has experience with IIF upload file for general journal entries. I downloaded a template found on the Intuit website for a sample and tested/ uploaded it to our test data file to see what it will look like. I know what the end result will be, but just want to check and be doubly sure about a few things on the file.

I tagged the ones in yellow that needed to be manually fixed according what I need but not sure what to do with information on rows 6 to 11 for customer, vendor and other name. I checked this upload did not create new customer 'Joe Customer', supplier 'Joe Vendor' and other name 'Other Name'. What do these rows mean and can we leave those entire circled rows blank?

We use Reckon Accounts Enterprises 2021.

Oh this is the result by the way if anyone wants to see:

Thanks and regards,

Nita

Comments

• Dianita

Actually never mind Team, i think I circled the wrong ones. The new names are 'Customer', 'Vendor' and 'Other name'. I just found this in the test file customer centre. It was not Joe Customer. I will now test using our own journal requirement, but leave these rows blank.

• Dianita
    edited February 2022

Hello Team,

Ok i did a couple of tests. I managed to push the upload into Reckon - the expense account line items were fine, but the liability did not come in correctly. Seems to be creating 'bank' accounts. This accntype, I used 'EXP' for the expense accounts and they seem to be fine. The liability, I tested using 'LIAB' and the one in snapshot below 'OTHER CURRENT LIABILITIES', none worked and created bank accounts. Any idea how to make this work?

Uploaded file:

Supposed to come in here:

• PhuongDo
    PhuongDo Reckon Developer Partner Posts: 314 ✭✭✭

HI @Dianita , please try OCLIAB 

Phuong Do / Reckon Developer Partner

phuong@cactussoftware.com.au

• PhuongDo

For anyone who loves to play with IIF:

• AP (Accounts payable)
    • AR (Accounts receivable)
    • BANK (Checking or savings)
    • CCARD (Credit card account)
    • COGS (Cost of goods sold)
    • EQUITY (Capital/Equity)
    • EXEXP (Other expense)
    • EXINC (Other income)
    • EXP (Expense)
    • FIXASSET (Fixed asset)
    • INC (Income)
    • LTLIAB (Long term liability)
    • NONPOSTING (Non-posting account)
    • OASSET (Other asset)
    • OCASSET (Other current asset)
    • OCLIAB (Other current liability)

• Dianita

Lovely thanks for the tips Phuong.

Did try the coding OCLIAB and actually worked but now I have another issue with it. Not sure if you or anyone else knows the fix for this.

The same line was imported as 'other current liabilities' correctly, however the upload actually prompted creations of new accounts. Snapshots below:

Upload file (strangely only the OCLIAB line was a problem. The EXP accounts were uploaded correctly with no issues - i.e. the two lines were mapped to the existing sub- account# 6560 under main expense account # 6500)

Chart of accounts (as you can see below, the upload actually created a couple of new other current liability accounts during the upload). Also noticed that the name of 'Commission + Performance Bonus' was shortened without the 'bonus'. The second sub-sub account, well that's worse.

How do we fix this?

Thanks and regards,

Nita

• PhuongDo

Well, the name only has the name portion of it, 2531 is the account number, it cannot be included in the account name when you specify it in the IIF.

If you want to assign the account number for an account, add another field, it is called ACCNUM

So instead of just NAME ACCTYPE, add ACCNUM

Hope it helps.

• PhuongDo

I can see in your IIF has the ACCNUM field now, so in the names, just get rid of all the numbers.

• Dianita

Hello Phuong,

Thank you for your reply. Just a follow up question, I did exactly the same thing with the expense account on rows 2,3, 11 and 12, but those lines were uploaded fine with no new accounts created. How do you explain this inconsistency?

Literally 6 lines were done with the same standard (that is the full account, sub account, then sub-sub account with the number codings), but only the OCLIAB lines were the problem.

Thanks,

Nita

• PhuongDo

I'm not sure about it, but including account codes (or you say number codings) in the name field is not the right way.

• Dianita

Hello Phuong, thanks for your advice. After many # of tests, I finally managed to make it work. At one point the file got a bit weird and it started creating bank accounts again even though the liability line is input'd with OCLIAB under 'ACCNTTYPE'. Anyway, I had to revert to the older version test file from two days ago and finally worked.

Am now testing something else, hopefully that will work as well.

Thanks,

Nita

• Dianita

Hello Phuong, just checking with you again that ACCNTTYPE for 'Other expense' please? I did it exactly the same but it gave me this error below.

Snapshot from file upload (see line 36)

Error message:

Did I miss anything here?

Thanks,

Nita

• PhuongDo

Meaning you already have this account under that name in a different type, once you have it in Reckon, you cannot change the type. Try a new name and you will see it goes thru. Or restore the version that the account is not there yet.

• Dianita

Hello Phuong,

Yes, the account is already existing in there and I would like to use the same one without creating a new one for consistent reporting. I did not change the account type as I put 'EXEXP' under ACCNTTYPE field. To confirm with you, is this still the right one to use for 'other expense'?

See below for the snapshot of that existing account 'Depreciation - Overheads' and I think the file was mapped according to this.

Any idea how to fix it?

Thanks again,

Nita

• PhuongDo

If the account is already there, you don't need to include it in the IIF file, remove that line. it is only for adding new accounts.

So in other words, once you have all the accounts and classes, you can start your IIF file from line 47 of the file you have.

• Dianita

Hello Phuong,

Thank you. Hmmm I think I did try that in the very first few tests to try to fix that other current liability account, but maybe not quite the same. I'll try to do it again with this version.

Thanks again and regards,

Nita