Barcode scanner and Reckon Hosted

susanyates
susanyates Member Posts: 3
edited September 2022 in Accounts Hosted

We use Reckon Hosted and would like to use a barcode scanner to import information into our invoices and perhaps bills. We do not have and don't really need a POS system.

Comments

• Ageoftaxation
    Ageoftaxation Reckon Staff Posts: 16 Reckon Staff

Hi,

I was not able to understand what you meant by 'import information' however I have included a few steps which may help:

Once you enter bar code information in items [Go to items>select item>edit>Bar code], then you need to enable bar code in template.

Check or if you are using a particular template for invoice or Bill, go to list>template and edit that template, click on additional layout, click on columns and make sure 'Bar code' has been checked.

Now in invoice/Bill whichever template you have modified, you'll see bar code which will being item once you enter bar code.

This is the standard way: now if any device allowing you to scan bar code physically and allowing you to put bar code in 'Bar code column' in invoice/bill, once bar code entered automatically by that device, you can press enter and that item will come up.

Note : Inventory assembly can also have bar code.

• Datarec_ReckonLtd
    Datarec_ReckonLtd Reckon Staff Posts: 1,039 Reckon Staff

Hi @susanyates

Consider describing what you are specifically trying to achieve so that other community users who may have had a similar experience can add some relevant comment or recommendations.

Are you wanting to:

1) Click on a text/input field with your mouse on a Reckon Accounts Hosted data entry screen (such as clicking the Item field in the invoice invoice

2) Then scan a barcode

3) Then have the value of that barcode 'pasted/entered' into that specific text field

Do you already have an existing barcode scanner?

Usually barcode scanners act just like another input device.

Some barcode scanners "paste" the values in to the field that has 'focus', others send each individual key stroke.

This support article may be relevant.

• susanyates

We do have an existing bar code scanner but have not used it. I need to know if it will communicate with Reckon Hosted so I can scan items into an invoice and hopefully also into a bill.

The scanner is currently at another site so I can't try it out myself.

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

Hi @susanyates

You will need to test your specific scanner to confirm whether it can 'paste/enter' the value that it has scanned.

As indicated previously, usually barcode scanners act just like another input device.

Some barcode scanners "paste" the values in to the field that has 'focus', others send each individual key stroke.

Some barcode scanners put a prefix such as the "~" character before the value it has scanned.

You will need to review your specific scanners setup guide with regard to how it outputs what it scans.

Consider describing what you are specifically trying to achieve so that other community users who may have had a similar experience can add some relevant comment or recommendations.

Are you wanting to:

1) Click on a text/input field with your mouse on a Reckon Accounts Hosted data entry screen (such as clicking the Item field in the invoice invoice

2) Then scan a barcode

3) Then have the value of that barcode 'pasted/entered' into that specific text field

• handi
    handi Member Posts: 10

Hi there,

I am also trying to setup a barcode (numbers only - 13 digits).

I am able to scan a barcode into the barcode section of invoice, it shows up as a number, but it keeps on saying "this barcode is not associated with an item".

I have:

• entered the barcode number into the "barcode" and "item number" sections
    • checked the description on purchase transactions and sales transactions are the same
    • edited my invoice section to show barcode on the screen

Am I missing anything else to bring up the item?

• handi

Hi again,

I've scanned the barcode again and again.

The barcode number I was scanning had two zeros in it (xx00xx) and one of the zero was missing on screen when I sent the scanned data. So, I typed the barcode number manually, the item came up!

I sent the barcode data from the scanning app again and again, it finally displayed the correct number and brought up the item! So, it looks like the scanner's connection issue with my pc.

I am using a mobile app called "barcode to pc" to scan the barcode then press send the data to the barcode section of the invoice. I will try investigate some other apps to see if the connection with my pc or data accuracy improves.

By the way, the barcode and item number sections can be different. (someone mentioned in the very old post saying you need to enter two sections exactly the same)

Hope the info helps.

Cheers.

• handi

found better barcode scanning app! (android app)

it's called SHINOBI, it works great, lightning fast scanning, scan/enter the barcode number instantly into the invoice. I set move to "tab key" after the barcode entered. Then the item comes up instantly. Very happy. :)

http://trl.main.jp/shinobi/indexEn.html

• susanyates

We have had the same problem with the scanner sending unreliable codes so might have another try.

But we use SALES RECEIPTS for most of our shop sales and I can't find a way to put the barcode on the template. I don't want to change my item names so doe anyone have a suggestion.

SUSAN

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

If in your ITEM LIST you edit an existing item (or creating a new one) you may see on the bottom of the screen a field called "Barcode".

That field is not available in the templates.

What you can do is make use of the Custom Fields

There you can define a new custom field and call it "BARCODE" (in all capitals for this example)

Once you have a custom field, you can populate that BARCODE field with the same value as is present in the Barcode field.

You can then edit the templates.

Click on the Lists menu then select Templates

Choose the specific Sales Receipt template that you want to modify.

Click on the Templates button then select Edit Template

You can click on the Additional Customisation... button.

In the Columns section you will see that newly created Custom Field called BARCODE present and can be enabled to appear on the template.

In the Footer section to enable the Long text field to be visible in either/both the on-screen or the printed document where you can add your BPAY details.

You can also use the Layout Designer to make any further adjustments to the data and label columns and fields as needed.

• handi

Invoice form works fine with the current Barcode field, but my account data entries are mostly sales receipts, I've realised. So, your detailed info on creating a custom field is very helpful. Thank you!

However, a couple of things I can't get my head around are:

1) "Once you have a custom field, you can populate that BARCODE field with the same value as is present in the Barcode field."

How do I copy/enter the current "Barcode" field data to the newly created custom "BARCODE" field?

2) If I have new items to add in the future, do I just enter the data into the custom field "BARCODE" only?

Please kindly advise.

Thank you.

• handi

Hi again,

I was able to enter one new "BARCODE" into the custom fields form by clicking the custom fields button within the item section.

However, is there a way to copy and paste all the current "Barcode" field data into the new "BARCODE" field at once for all the items already created, rather than entering the data one by one?

• handi

I've entered some new "BARCODE" into the custom fields in the item section, then entered the BARCODE in the Sales Receipt, but no item info comes on screen. What am I doing wrong?

• handi

I think when the "BARCODE" data field is entered, it has to be triggered to bring up the item info. So, we need the current "Barcode" column on Sales Receipt in order to bring up the item info.

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

Hi @handi

Consider the following:

1) Export the ITEM List to an IIF file (this is a tab-delimited text file)

• click on the File menu
    • then Utilities
    • then Export
    • then Lists to IIF Files

Export only the Item List

2) Open that exported item list in Excel as a tab-delimited text file

3) Ensure that all columns are treated as "Text", not "General"

4) Locate the header row which has the first column called "!INVITEM"

5) Locate the column called "CUSTFLD1" which represents the Custom Field you had created called BARCODE.

And although a bit confusing you can see that in the IIF export file the field header column called "BARCODE" actually corresponds to the non-custom field Barcode field.

6) Once it is clear which field is which you can copy the column values from the BARCODE column to the CUSTFLD1 column.

• handi

Thanks again for your detailed instruction.

Once the BARCODE/CUSTFLD1 copied, will the BARCODE bring up the item info when BARCODE is entered into the Sales Receipt, just like the Barcode/REAL BARCODE FIELD brings up the item data?

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

Hi @handi

Custom Fields info would tend to appear when an ITEM (Item name/Number) is entered.

• Datarec_ReckonLtd

Some users have a situation where the Item Name is the same as the barcode value.

Other users would have an item name that is different to the barcode value.

• handi

>Some users have a situation where the Item Name is the same as the barcode value.

>Other users would have an item name that is different to the barcode value.

If former, you probably don't need to create a new BARCODE field, since you can use the Item Name as Barcode, by point the cursor to the Item Name column on the Sales Receipt, then scan/enter the Barcode, which will bring up the product info data.

If latter, I don't think creating the new BARCODE field solve the issue, as the BARCODE brings up BARCODE info only and nothing else. Unlike the original Barcode field, which will bring up the Item info on to the Invoice. We need the original Barcode column within the Sales Receipt form.

Thanks anyway.