MFA not working

ByronScaff
ByronScaff Member Posts: 6 Novice Member Novice Member

I have Reckon desktop and use Govconnect to lodge STP files. MFA has been setup to send an SMS to my phone and has worked ever since STP stage 1 was initiated with the code being received within seconds of it being sent. Today, however, the code is not being received and I am unable to lodge STP files via Govconnect. I have tried turning phone to airplane mode and back, turned phone all the way off and back on again, all other texts have been coming through with no problem at all today. I have tried logging into and out of Reckon portal, tried different browsers and have even turned my computer on and off but still no code has been received. I have checked my profile and the correct phone number is listed. Can you help with this problem.

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 16,378 Reckon Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @ByronScaff

It sounds like you've been through a fair bit of troubleshooting already which is great. Which network provider are you with?

While I haven't heard of any other reports coming through of this internally yet, I'll check in with the teams.

Also, when you switched over to flight mode, did you leave it active for a minute or two? If not, can I get you to try that just as a check.

๐ŸŽ‰ Get rewarded for contributing to the Reckon Community! Learn how you could get a $100 gift voucher each month HERE.

• ByronScaff

Service is through the Optus network. I did leave the phone on airplane mode for a few minutes previously. Have just tried again by leaving it on airplane mode for 5 minutes but there is still no code coming through.

It is saying the code has been sent and "Enter 6-digit code from your authentication app (eg. Google Authenticator)". We don't have an authentication app set up. It has always just been a text to my mobile but nothing is being received so I am unable to lodge STP files.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 16,378 Reckon Community Manager Community Manager

Yep that's just a generic description on the MFA screen.

I just tested it out and the SMS came through as normal however I'm on Telstra. A colleague who is also on Optus tested it out and their MFA code via SMS came through within seconds as well.

An option could be to remove the existing MFA that you have assigned to your account, then login. By doing so you'll be prompted to set up MFA again where you can enter your phone number etc. I'm not sure if that will actually make a difference but it could be worth a go.

Are you aware of the MFA Recovery PIN that would have been setup when you first registered your MFA? If so, then you can remove the existing MFA yourself directly from within the account by following the steps in the guide linked below -

If you don't have the Recovery PIN, then our support team can organise the removal of the existing MFA after a quick security check over the phone.

๐ŸŽ‰ Get rewarded for contributing to the Reckon Community! Learn how you could get a $100 gift voucher each month HERE.

• ByronScaff

Sorry I can't find my copy of the recovery PIN. What number do I ring to get support to remove existing MFA?

• Rav

No worries, give the team a buzz on 1300 137 657

• ByronScaff

Hi Rav,

I phoned support yesterday afternoon and they are going to escalate my request to have MFA removed and will ring me when it has been actioned. In the meantime is there any way that I can lodge my STP files. They should have been lodged yesterday but with no access to Govconnect I was unable to send them through.

• Kris_Williams
    Kris_Williams Member Posts: 3,620 Reckon Accounts Hosted Elite Expert Reckon Accounts Hosted Expert

Many times I know of late lodgements and so far it hasnโ€™t been a problem, donโ€™t stress. Iโ€™m sure the ATO are aware of all the hiccupโ€™s happening because of the changes

• ByronScaff

Thanks Kris. Yes I bet the ATO are dealing with a lot more issues than a few late STP lodgements at the moment. Good to know it shouldn't be much of an issue.

• Rav

Morning @ByronScaff

While there isn't a way to access GovConnect without first verifying MFA, the good news is I found the MFA removal request that the team sent through and have just got it actioned.

The next time you login to GovConnect you'll be prompted to setup MFA again. Enter your phone number and verify the MFA screen when prompted to as normal.

Hopefully it goes through smoothly this time but let me know how you get on.

• ByronScaff

Hi Rav,

Finally have had success. Something must have been stopping the Reckon texts coming through as I got about 16 all come in at once yesterday afternoon. All my other texts were coming through fine just not the Reckon ones. Was then able to set up MFA again and has worked fine this morning.

• Rav

That's interesting ๐Ÿค”

Glad it's sorted, but something for us to keep an eye on

• FNQPEST
    FNQPEST Member Posts: 17 Reckoner Reckoner

Hi,

I have just had this exact same thing happen with me this afternoon. I am with Telstra. My scenario sounds exactly like yours. It ended up working. But was very glitchy. I've bookmarked this thread in case it happens to me again so i've got some solutions to follow. But I just thought it best to put it out there that this has also happened with someone else.

• Kym_6913579
    Kym_6913579 Member Posts: 8 Reckoner Reckoner

I also have just had this same problem, will try again in the morning.

• Luke
    Luke Moderator, Reckon Staff Posts: 225 Moderator Moderator
    edited July 31

Hi All,

I can confirm this issue has now been resolved!

Thank you for your patience while we investigated this and we apologise for any inconvenience caused.

This discussion has been closed.