Reckon Disconnecting

Options
numberplateads
numberplateads Member Posts: 10

This is ridiculous, only just started happening. I have reckon open all day and flip back and forwards between other programs. Every time I go back its logged me out. Sometimes I can log in straight away but sometimes it doesn't connect from the user.

So every inconvenient, frustrating and time consuming.

Can this be changed back to open until we decided to shut down.

Thanks

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,444 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Hi @numberplateads

What is happening here specifically?

Are you encountering an idle session message appearing? If so, do you leave your session idle for more than one hour?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• numberplateads
    Options

Hi there,

Its just happened again as I needed to get back in. The error message is "The session with host "ip-0a*.aust" has been disconnect. The session was replaced.

Thanks

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,444 Community Manager Community Manager
    Options

Did you leave your session idle for one hour or more prior to this message appearing?

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• numberplateads
    Options

Hi Rav

Now I can't log back in because it hasn't disconnected from previous session.

This really needs to be fixed as this is just so annoying.

• numberplateads
    Options

Hi Rav, no it wouldn't have been over an hour. Sometimes it is though.

Why has this just started to happen in the last week or so ?

Thanks

• Lucas
    Lucas Reckon Staff Posts: 133 Reckon Staff
    Options

Hi @numberplateads,

May I ask how you are closing down the session for Reckon Accounts Hosted?

Are you currently sharing your username and password to login to the company file to other users?

If you could please let me know, I will try my best to assist you.

Cheers,

Lucas

• Rav
    edited April 11
    Options

Sorry to ask this but are you certain that you're receiving the idle session message within less than an hour since last being active in your file and not say an hour or more at minimum?

The reason I ask that is, essentially if your session has been left idle for an extended period of time ie. an hour, an idle session message will appear. While this message is a new inclusion since the latest system upgrade for Hosted, the overall process around idle sessions is the same (previously an idle session wouldn't show any messages on-screen but would still go idle) so this is normal.

You can keep your session active simply by accessing your file eg. working in it, clicking a menu or even just moving your mouse around in your file.

If you run into the idle session message due to your session being idle for a prolonged period eg. an hour for example, you'll be able to reconnect to the existing session provided you reconnect within a reasonable period of time of the message appearing. If not, the session will end and you'll be required to relaunch your file which sounds like what's happening at the moment.

There's a bit more info here - How do sessions work in Reckon Accounts Hosted? 💻

If you are encountering this message anywhere short of an hour since you've last used Hosted then that is outside the norm and if you're certain that's occurring then I'd be keen to get some specific examples from you so we can take a closer look.

• Your User ID this occurred on
    • The time you were last active in your Hosted file
    • The time the idle session message appeared
    • Which browser you're using with Hosted
    • Your location
    • Do you have a screensaver set on your PC and if so what is the timeout interval of the screensaver
    • What you were doing in Reckon Accounts Hosted at the time the idle session message appeared

⚠️ Just to be clear, this only applies for sessions that are idle for well less than an hour

• numberplateads
    Options

Hi Lucas & Rav

When shutting down I always "file" & "exit".

I'm using chrome and no one else uses my login except our accountant when they need. They never log on whilst I'm at work unless they call me first.

It is possible during the day that more than an hour passes but its never been an issue before.

• Rav
    Options

Thanks for confirming @numberplateads

If you leave your session idle for over an hour then its normal to receive the idle session message.

While the message itself is new in the recent system upgrade for Hosted, prior to the upgrade there would be no message but the session would still become idle after one hour of inactivity ie. overall its the same behaviour just with the addition of a message when the session has become idle.

If however you are encountering the idle session message BEFORE one hour of idle time has elapsed, then that's something different and we'd be keen to get some specific examples of that.

• numberplateads
    edited April 11
    Options

Hi Rav

Yes I have just received the idle message as it was over an hour, as you say I clicked and went back in.

But why is it logging me out sometimes as I have never had that happen before.

I love new ideas to make life easier, they just don't work for some.

Appreciate your help

• Rav
    edited April 11
    Options

Ok in regard to that, when your session goes idle after one hour of inactivity in your file the idle session message will appear as discussed. When that happens you can reconnect to that same session and pick up where you left off if you reconnect within a reasonable period of time eg. an hour of your session going idle and the message appearing.

If you don't reconnect after an hour of your session itself being idle, then your session will end. If that occurs you will then need to relaunch your Reckon Accounts Hosted file.

This is outlined here - How do sessions work in Reckon Accounts Hosted? 💻

It sounds like you're leaving your Hosted file inactive for quite some time before going back to it which would explain why your session is being ended. Would that be correct?

Also, do you leave your file open in Hosted but not use it for extended periods of time on a regular basis throughout a given day?

• KateSmith
    KateSmith Member Posts: 9
    Options

I agree with the OP. This is a new, and very frustrating, "feature," and I hate it. I always keep Reckon Hosted running in the background so I can flip to it when needed. It has only been the last couple of weeks that it has now timed out, and I have to log back in. I again reiterate—this time-out/idle time is NEW. My work processes have not changed.

• Kerrie_10100571
    Kerrie_10100571 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Hi Rav

This has been an issue since 18th of March. Session times out several times a day and cant log on because i haven't logged off, very annoying.

The software appearance is different and very slow with the blue circle appearing regularly.

I have been using reckon for years and always had the file open all day without disconnecting, not doing anything differently??

• Rav
    Options

Hi @Kerrie_10100571

Are you encountering an idle session message appearing? If so, do you leave your session idle for more than one hour before noticing this message appear?

• numberplateads
    Options

This is getting ridiculous and really unworkable as a lot of us has Reckon open in the background switching between several programs during the day. Now with the new authentication login happening on 15 May this is going to be twice as cumbersome as it is currently is with program shutting down. Seriously considering changing accounting program with all this. Why fix something that wasn't broken and made it so hard to do our jobs.

• KateSmith
    Options

It seems the Reckon response is always the same. "Are you encountering an idle session message appearing? If so, do you leave your session idle for more than one hour before noticing this message appear?" They are missing the point that this is a new problem within Reckon, not a change in our workflow.

I agree with numberplateads above. It is so frustrating to deal with that we are also exploring other options.

• Rav
    Options

@numberplateads @KateSmith

The reason I'm asking whether you're noticing the idle message appearing after one hour of inactivity is because if that's the case then that is expected behaviour. The only difference now is the existence/appearance of the message itself.

Previously, there was no message at all however the session would still become idle and become logged out IF you leave the session inactive for a prolonged period of time ie. the behaviour itself is the same just without a message.

So I'll ask again, are you noticing this occurring if you leave the session idle and inactive for a extended period of time eg. over an hour OR does the message appear if the session has been idle for less than one hour?

• KateSmith
    Options

I assume it is an hour or so but I don't actually time it. The window of "prolonged time" is now shorter than it used to be, since it hasn't ever been a problem until recently.

• Kerrie_10100571
    Kerrie_10100571 Member Posts: 3
    Options

No sometimes its less than an hour?

Why is expected behaviour to time out after an hour. Use to be connected all day?

• Rav
    edited May 1
    Options

Previously there was no message that appeared when the session went idle so while it may have looked like the session was connected all day, after an hour of inactivity it would go idle just as it is now.

Just to reiterate this is a general outline of how a session works;

1. If you haven't worked in your file for an hour your session will go idle.
    2. Idle session message appears.
    3. You can reconnect to the same session and pick up where you left off if you do so within 60 minutes of the idle session message appearing.
    4. If you don't reconnect within that 2 hour period since you went inactive your session will disconnect and you'll be required to start a new session.

There's more detailed info on this here - How do sessions work in Reckon Accounts Hosted? 💻

@Kerrie_10100571 if you're 100% sure that you're receiving the idle session message when you've been inactive for less than an hour then that specifically is outside of the norm and I'd recommend getting in touch with our technical support team so we can take a closer look the next time that occurs and have these details handy 👇

• User ID for the specific user it occurred on
    • Start time of the session
    • Time the session was disconnected (the idle session message appeared on-screen)
    • Screenshot of what appears on-screen (if possible) and a brief description of what the user was doing at the time the message appeared
    • How long did the session last before it was disconnected

• numberplateads
    Options

Rav sorry but you are not correct, this has never timed out before. You are saying this has always happened in the background without notifying us, I debate that comment as we have never had problems before. You guys have changed something which is effecting the system.