Why won't Reckon Accounts Premier 2024 unzip when I try to install it?

Linda_9776465
Linda_9776465 Member Posts: 15 Reckoner Reckoner

I am logged on as administrator, and I have closed all programs, disconnected from the internet and disabled anti-virus software and firewall.

Answers

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 16,400 Reckon Community Manager Community Manager

Hi @Linda_9776465

Is there anything happening on-screen when you attempt to unzip the installation? ie. any error messages etc?

• Linda_9776465

Yes. It states, "Can't create output file: C:\Reckon Accounts Business 2024 R1\eula.txt".

• Datarec
    Datarec Reckon Staff Posts: 1,202 Reckon Staff

Hi @Linda_9776465

Consider re-downloading the installer software once more.

Check the physical file size of the file that you have downloaded earlier to the re-downloaded copy, in case one is larger/smaller than the other which may indicate the earlier downloaded installer did not fully download.

Also the path you have indicated may be an issue.

Typically the unzip process would be done to a TEMP folder and the software itself installed as a sub-folder under C:\Program Files (x86)\ or similar and not directly to the C:\ root folder.

• Linda_9776465

I have already downloaded the file again and it made no difference. It was the same size.

I didn't create the destination for the unzip process. It is a TEMP folder. What I wrote above is not accurate, sorry. I should have typed 'C:\temp\Reckon Accounts Business 2024 R1\eula.txt'. When I unzipped the 2023 software a similar directory was created, the only difference being the year. Last year it was installed to C:\Program Files (x86)\Intuit.

So this all seems to agree with what you wrote above.

Do you have any other suggestions please?

• Datarec

It still sounds like the downloaded file has a problem.

What is the size of the installer file you have downloaded?

Is it like the screenshot below or if not what is the size?

• Linda_9776465

The installer file is exactly as you show it.

• Datarec

I've downloaded the installer and launched it.

It went through the process of extraction.

Completed that process, whereby it launched the Setup.exe

• Linda_9776465

I discovered that even though I am logged on to my computer as administrator I need to run the installer file by right clicking it and choosing this option before running it.

It would have been useful, and saved a lot of time if someone had mentioned this.

• Datarec
    edited July 12

It would indeed have been useful.

Note that in my test there was no additional need to specifically launch the installer differently other than double-clicking on it.

As you had mentioned you were already logged in as a Windows Administrator, that specific detail of also running the installer as a user with Windows Administrator rights was likely overlooked by all who attempted to assist you.

As is the nature of troubleshooting, not all issues are known beforehand and it is the application of a methodical process of elimination which can help towards a resolution.

In any case, I'm sure other users similarly affected will appreciate your sharing of your findings.

How to run the an EXE file as a user with Windows Administrator rights

1. Hold down the Shift key and then right-click the file.
    2. Choose Run as different user from the context menu.
    3. Enter the User name and Password for the user whose credentials should be used to run the program. If the user is on a domain, like this: domain\username.

Or if you are already logged in as a user that has Administrator level rights.

1. Select then right-click the file.
    2. Choose Run as administrator from the context menu.