How to Add categories to stock list in Excel

2»

Comments

• Graham BoastGraham Boast Accredited Partner Posts: 319 ✭✭
    edited June 2015
    Hi Rick

The import process will totally ignore the Qnty and Totvalue columns, so you are safe to leave them as is.

Importing these values into Reckon is a bit of a process. By far, the best way is to use the File > Utilities > Import > Excel File method.  This will bring in the Qnty and Totvalue columns.  You will need to create an extra column "As Of Date" with value 06/30/2014 (30th June in mmddyyy format).

BUT.....
    • this process will only work for items not already in the file - you can't update the stock on hand values for items that are already in the system;
    • it can't bring in barcodes, so they have to be imported via iif file
    • often, you need the new file to be set up before the stock figures are available
    I tend to import Stock on Hand as a transaction, usually a Bill or a Cheque.  From the existing iif export, I will create an excel spreadsheet with the full item name, description, Qnty, average cost ex GST and total value (Qnty x average cost = total value), then get the client to update this with stocktake figures.  I can then manipulate this data to create an iif import file that will import a cheque (from a dummy cheque account) that will update the stock values.  The advantage of this is that it can be done after the 1st July!  Its a few hours work for me but it is much faster, cheaper and accurate than data entry.

The other issue that you raised regarding the iif files saving as text, I have covered in the original post here:
    https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/importing_item_list_from_old_company_to_new

Graham
    [email protected]