Upgraded to Personal Plus 16, entered data OK, but on Backup, (to an ext drive) get an error messag

JMcK
JMcK Member Posts: 6
Successfully upgraded to Personal Plus 16, entered data OK, but on Backup, (to an ext drive used successfully with previous versions, I keep getting an error message, 7058. Using Windows 10

Comments

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited February 2017
    JMcK

first things first - validate that you can explore that external drive, create a test folder and create a test.TXT  simple file there.  Then confirm there is sufficient free space on that external device.  If all that checks out,  then start to look at what the APPLICATION program (in this case PP2016) is trying to do, in terms of writing, with permissions, to the desired sub-folder on that external drive LETTER.

Gary

• JMcK
    edited November 2015
    Thanks Gary. I created a test folder but don't know how to create a text file. I have tried two external and one non external drives, one with 228GB free, another with 463GB free - get the same problem each time. I'm afraid I don't understand the last part of your response  ie looking at what the application is trying to do etc. I can save a word document to the external drive test folder.
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    JMcK.    This is hard over  a forum.  But I think you have achieved the pre-requisite test I was suggesting.  I simply wanted to see if you can put files and folders on a disk,  with the permissions/rights/privileges that your WINDOWS LOGIN allows you to do.  My suggestion of making a really dumb TXT file like test.TXT can be done by opening the test folder you made on the external disk, and then putting your mouse pointer on the open space of that folder (wehere you'd see files), and RIGHT CLICK there, and select:  "Create text file".... IE:  using the basic NOTEPAD editor of the operating system (Win) to create a file with just TEXT in it, like some sentence, and saving it.  But you have been able to COPY / paste a WORD PROCESSING  (xxxx.doc  or  .docx)   file there - that's good enough.

PLUS:  you've now answered the critical question of FREE DISK SPACE - you have plenty.

So,  the operating system, under your login credentials, can create file on these disks,  but  PP16 cannot.    IE:  You cannot run PP16, and decide to create a BACKUP that you want to put on the external drive.

How about this, to narrow down the problem, and at least give you an external backup.

a)   Get PP16 to create a set of backup s on the main C: drive.
    b)  Then use WIN10 Windows Explorer program to drag'n'drop (copy/paste) the files over to the external drive.

Try all that an let's see where you're at.

Gary
  • JMcK
    edited November 2015
    Thanks for your assistance Gary. I tried to backup to the  C drive (and the D Drive where I keep my data) but same problem - Encounters a problem and closes down, Error 7005.

I seem to have a successful workaround, laborious but seems to work,  in which I go to where the program stores the the data files, highlight and copy them, and paste to my external back up drive.

As a Quicken user for well over 10 years, never had this problem before. Very disappointed that the Reckon Supplier has not entered this conversation with a response at all, nor have my reports of the problem been answered. So even more I appreciate your interest. Thanks

JMcK
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    JmcK - Can you check if you are running PP2016  'as administrator'.  IE:  right click on the PP2016 icon and choose:  run as administrator.   (rather than double-clicking on it, and therefore only running with your own login privileges).  And then try the BACKUP operation.   There are many articles on this forum that outline that PP2016 when running on WIn10,  need to run with administrator privileges

Gary
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited February 2017
    Good morning JmcK,

Also wanted to add in on Gary's excellent assistance, one additional step is to rename your data file to a name of no more than 8 characters.

This can be completed by navigating to File > File Operations > Rename

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Rav

I wonder if the enhancements suggested to TWO Knowledge base articles that I refer to over at:

https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/quicken-personal-plus-2016?topic-reply-list%5Bsettings%5D...

would have been a useful answer in the first place for this,  and if necessary, add in the "8-character" short filename you refer to.

Gary
  • Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,305 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2016
    It's definitely one for us to take a look at Gary, and really appreciate you bringing it to our attention.

I'm running this past our product managers for their input also and we'll take it from there.

Cheers
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• JMcK
    edited November 2015
    Hi Gary -tried  running as Administrator - no diff - still stops the program. I tried to rename the file but it says it can't find it. Reckon named the file originally as QDATA_200512281_20110912_20150530,  Type Reckon Accounts QDF Data File, 17,106 KB and when I try to rename to an 8 letter file, it says it cant find it. Am I trying to rename the wrong file? 
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    JmcK...   let's keep this forum going at the foot of this article rather than a split here  (5:11PM  30/11/15)....  continue below...
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    JmcK

There are:  HCX,IDX,QDF,QEL,andQPH    (5 TYPE of file).

Firstly Organise your Windows Explorer FODLER VIEWS to stop hiding known file extensions,  so yo get to see real FULL filename (with fullstop and its type on the end),  rather than the truncated view you are seeing.

Then use Windows Explorer to go and finad all your files that end in the group of 5 types.

ie:  search ALL of drive C:   for *.HCX   (*>  means anything called, whatever follows,  ie:  .HCX)

And see what you come up with in terms of WHAT FOLDER all your files are in.

I suspect you need somebody to professionally help you by accessing your system withg Teamviewer, on the phone and talk you through some of this SYSTEM level searching and adjusting.

Gary Pope
    m: 0408994799 
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac...
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant"

• Rav
    edited December 2016
    Hi JmcK,

Lets check for your file name. Open your file, click on File on your Menu bar and you'll see the listing for this file on the bottom left. Look inside this directory for the full name.

Thanks
    Rav

• JMcK
    edited December 2015
    File Name is "QDATA_200512281_20110912_20150530" and the type of file is Reckon Accounts QDF Data File" There are three other files in which the file name includes HCX, IDX and QEL at the end. In the type column, it shows HCX File, IDX file and QEL File respectively. Does this help?
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    HCX,IDX,QDF,QEL,andQPH  .... so you're missing the 5th one,   the  "QPH file".

Gary
  • JMcK
    edited December 2015
    There is a QPH file but it is an earlier date
  • gazza73
    edited February 2017
    JMcK

Yes, the files can be a different date,  because some of them get modified frequently and others are setup for referral/control matters at inception.   For instance, here's some demonstration ones of mine.

Gary