Share Price Updates, Reckon Personal 2020, August, 2020

Options
Megan Rule
Megan Rule Member Posts: 40
I have just updated to Reckon Personal 2020 and share prices for my USA shares have been wiped out and i am unable to download historical prices (which i could do with 2019; it would update from US market in $US). When i update now, any USA shares register as $0 value. Also nearly all my historical ASX prices are wiped out. This is also for some other shares that are not on the ASX, where I entered prices manually. All my historical ASX prices are gone, bar since Aug 6. Any ideas?

Comments

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,392 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Hi Megan,
    US Share Price downloads are provided by a 3rd party provider and for reasons beyond our control, the provider has ceased operation without prior indication and this service is no longer available.
    To incorporate US share price info into your Reckon Personal software I'd recommend following the process outlined in this help guide - 
    HELP GUIDE: US share price downloads no longer available (November 2019)

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• Megan Rule
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Ok, I tried another QDF file and it looks ok now - bar the fact that it appears USA stock prices have not been updated since Aug 4 2020. Any ideas/knowledge?

• Megan Rule
    edited August 2020
    Options
    My US share prices updated when I was using Reckon 2019 up until Aug 4 - does it not work for Reckon 2020?? i.e should I not have 'upgraded' to 2020 version at it is not as good? 
  • Megan Rule
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Thx Diver Dave, I looked around for a QDF file that had been saved on my computer just before the one that I was previously using. When i uploaded that one, the prices all miraculously came back - but I still can't upload/update recent USA prices - I could with 2019 version until earlier this month.

I see Rav says the USA prices have to be manually uploaded now - is that for the 2020 version, although the 2019 version was working ok? (I see I can't go back and upload the 2019 version).  

I dread 'upgrading' each year, so often there is a problem. Plus the price goes up $10 each time. $180 for what?
  • Eric Murphy
    Eric Murphy Member Posts: 216 ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    US shares aren't downloading irrespective of version so your upgrade to 2020 isn't related. They stopped working back last year and Reckon announced US shares won't be available anymore or if they did start working that they couldn't provide any certainty that it would continue. Somehow it started working again but have again stopped a couple of weeks ago.
    For me, manual uploads aren't an issue but each to their own I guess.
  • Megan Rule
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I was using 2019 version and USA prices were uploading ok until last week - i have checked the files and they updated until Aug 4 2020...I see Rav posted two weeks ago:

"Hi everyone,
    Just a heads up, Reckon Accounts Hosted 2019 will no longer be available as of 4:00PM (AEST) on 7 August 2020.

If you are still currently using Accounts Hosted 2019, we would like to remind you to upgrade to the latest version - Accounts Hosted 2020.
    We will remove the 2019 version at 4:00pm (AEST) on 7 August 2020, so please ensure you have upgraded to the latest version before this date."

Seems to indicate 2020 version is the issue...could it be that Reckon does not want to pay for access to US share prices and so in the $180 'upgrade', our access is closed off. Thoughts?
  • Eric Murphy
    edited August 2020
    Options
    ... What does Reckon Hosted have to do with anything? It's a completely different software.

The 3rd of August is the last date I have in my personal plus for US shares as well and its the same for others that have posted in the forum about this occurring also.
  • GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,225 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Maybe you could give it back if you hate it so much.

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Eric Murphy
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Well.. I guess that's one way to get banned from an internet forum. Insulting the admin is just both petty and arrogant Dave.
  • Eric Murphy
    edited August 2020
    Options
    .. You disagree that I suggested insulting someone is petty & arrogant..? Umm..OK..

I'm not going into bat for Reckon because like you I am merely a user of this software which means that I am also subject to Reckon's decisions or non-decisions when it comes to the software.
    However unlike you or Dave, I am under no illusion that I purchased this software without any guarantee or assurances that it would do anything and everything I need or want it to, nor that it includes support.
    As for the price increase argument, yeah it sucks but if you don't want to pay it then don't. Its rather simple. Its not an essential service.
  • GerryWinter
    GerryWinter Accredited Partner Posts: 1,225 Personal Range Expert Personal Range Expert
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Looking at all these comments it looks like RPP does nothing but share price downloading.
    I am sure it does more than that for other people who may not even need that features. I have many clients that are totally content with what Reckon are providing in this price bracket, saying that we would all like new features with whatever program we are using. 
    Gerry

Gerry id 6376

Gerhard Winter

Ph. +61 0418907140

Reckon Store Next Door

"Always at your Service"

Email: gwinter0808@gmail.com

• Neil_10815071
    Neil_10815071 Member Posts: 1
    edited August 2020
    Options
    There is a new feature in Excel called "Stocks" (in Data toolbar) that pulls latest prices very easily and quickly. I use it for stop losses and a quick view of portfolio value and watch lists.  

If you just want to update the prices and not too worried about the history then is very easy to set up to give a CSV file that can be imported.  An easy work around until they get the US prices fixed. 

If I have to do this for the US prices then can do for the ASX prices as well in the one job.  Makes getting a new subscription less appealing.  Don't use RPP for detailed historical prices so only interested in the latest prices when I open RPP.
  • Megan Rule
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Almost every year when i update Quicken/Reckon (I have been using this software for about 25 years) I hold my breath. With decades of info in the software I feel like Reckon has me over a barrel. Seems most unethical and a greedy grab. Maybe Reckon is moving towards phasing this out so that we transfer data to another more expensive product?? Is anyone aware of another Reckon product that provides ASX and OS share updates?
  • Graham_10803610
    Graham_10803610 Member Posts: 10
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Interesting discussion on not upgrading each year and the price increases. I have been struggling with the value of RPP for a number of years now. I also have 25+ years of data and mostly like the program.

What happens to the functionality of RPP if I stop paying the yearly subscription?

I am cool with loading my own share prices.... what else stops working?
  • Graham_10803610
    Graham_10803610 Member Posts: 10
    edited August 2020
    Options
    My License information says:
    RECKON ACCOUNTS is valid to April 2021
    ONLINE SERVICES is valid to April 2021
    Online services I think I understand the impact. I don't understand the impact of letting the "Reckon Accounts" license lapse. Can anybody expand on this impact?
    Thanks
  • David_7594132
    David_7594132 Member Posts: 37
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Neil, tried this out. Pretty straightforward. Doesn't seem to really offer anything more than I can get with portfolio downloads from Yahoo, Commsec or CMC. Just different.

Doesn't appear to offer historical data

Thanks

David
  • David_7594132
    edited August 2020
    Options
    23 years a Quicken/Reckon user. Many accounts over the years, manage various investment portfolios, bank accounts, super (SMSF and Industry Fund), loans etc. 

Manage all my payments, capital gains, tax, dividends etc.

I only ever upgraded over the years to continue to get price data downloads. Never really saw any new functionality.

The lack of investment in the product has been apparent for years. Always hoped that things would improve but they haven't. Since the new pricing for licences started I also refused to "upgrade" on a yearly basis. 

My EOD closing price update process takes about 90 secs and it populates other spreadsheets to track other metrics.

Don't think I'll be resubscribing any time soon. Fortunately I have a full licence and a unused Quicken 2016 licence for when that expires hence no need for me to go to Quicken Canada.
  • David_7594132
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Pretty sure Reckon will not let you start, give you a warning message and take you yo the upgrade page.
  • Brad Read
    Brad Read Member Posts: 14
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have PP 2015 through to 2020 (zipped)  in my downloads folder :)
    Like many here, I have been using Quicken/Recokon since DOS V3.

Regards, Brad
  • Megan Rule
    edited August 2020
    Options
    My ASX prices update Ok; but no US updates is annoying. Getting less than I had after spending $180 on update to 2020 Reckon is, well, a rip off. 

This discussion has been closed.