Share prices in Reckon without upgrading to 2015

• Idea
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Implemented
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

If you have access to an online broker with csv downloads or can get a csv file with end-of-day prices you can import them into Reckon in bulk for the day, but you have to do this from the Portfolio View.
First you have to save a csv file (say Myfile1.csv) (from where you get your bulk prices) to a known location on your computer (say C:\A folder).  Manipulate this file by deleting all columns except the following 3 columns: the first with each ticker symbol, the second with the share closing prices for the date required and the third for the date in the format dd/mm/yyyy.  Fill the date column with the same date.  This method will not allow high, low or volume to be imported, just closing prices.  Save your amended file.  Now with the Portfolio View open click File, select Import, Import Prices, and a window will open asking for file name.  Type in the file name with complete path (eg  C:\A\Myfile1.csv) and click OK.  Reckon should then tell you how many prices you have successfully imported.
Note:  Including the column with the date you want in your csv file, will prevent Reckon from importing the prices with the wrong date.
Photo of Rocdearo

Rocdearo

• 130 Points 100 badge 2x thumb

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

• 3,992 Points 3k badge 2x thumb

You might like to review other posts on this community forum, especially :

https://community.reckon.com.au/reckon/topics/how_to_manually_update_share_prices_in_personal_plus_h...

or the knowledge database:

http://kb.reckon.com.au//issue_view.asp?ID=3203

These show how to include High, Low and Volume/100, although the format is rather strange and there are restrictions on volume, that regularly affect Telstra, FMG and other companies with volumes more than 20 million in a day.

It is of the form below, requiring '---' and '*' fields, although their use is not explained. At least the date field is not US.

"share,Close,,Date,,High,Low,volume,"
amc,7.35,---,24/02/2006,---,7.46,7.32,63712,*

I have been using this approach with RPP 2013 since 1 August, as it allows entering of prices back for many years and not restricted to ASX codes.

Photo of Kevin Russell

Kevin Russell, Accredited Partner

• 50,950 Points 50k badge 2x thumb
Yeah pretty sure the point of the auto download is so you don't need to update prices manyally
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

• 34,812 Points 20k badge 2x thumb
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm sure it will help customers who are using Legacy versions and also those looking to do more with their shareprice file imports. ^mirko
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Mirko,

Is there any documentation of what price information is available with RPP 2015 auto download facility ?

Over the last few months I have asked a number of questions about what is and is not provided and not yet received a clear answer. There are also numerous examples of RPP 2015 not being able to reliably use this facility.

Is there a document which lists the exchanges and codes that are currently supported?

John

Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

Hey John, I've escalated this question on to our Product Managers.

One of the developers I asked, mentioned that NASDAQ and ASX stocks should be working. He has tested on his end and managed to get the prices see image:

He mentioned to check the symbol info (NASDAQ) and they have heard of "security price history file being damaged". To test for the damaged file, it's been suggested to "test the quotes download in a new data file." If you could let me know how that goes, it would be greatly appreciated.
Photo of gavin.nicholson.au

gavin.nicholson.au

• 1,434 Points 1k badge 2x thumb
Now the price importing has stopped working again. I just get the "File Not Found or Unreadable" message. I might try an uninstall re-install and see if that fixes it. This is so tedious......
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Are you importing a .csv file ?

Check the file name (tree name) is spelt correctly, which sometimes happens without a browse option.

gavin.nicholson.au

I have tried csv and txt. I have tried it in the Quicken directory without a path and I have copied it to c:\ and tried that. Same result. 
I have tried creating a new file and importing into that. No good. I have tried long format as per:
AGI,2.250,---,04/12/14,---,2.270,2.160,9358,* 
and short:
AGI,2.24,03/11/14
(Edited)
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Gavin,

I use a file c:\temp\qdata_updates.csv which works ok. Sometimes it is not found, with the error you reported, which I put down to typing the name incorrectly. I try again and it works.

There may be access right problems for c:\file.csv option.

Do you have a past file which worked ok? It should scan and report updates.

My first alternative would not be to reinstall RPP, as I'd expect this to be a very unlikely solution.

Check the file name spelling or look at the .csv file with notepad. Sometimes there can be excess ,,,,,

Did you close excel ?

I don't have any other explanation.

I will be importing this weeks prices and volumes into RPP 2013 tomorrow afternoon and report any problems.

John

gavin.nicholson.au

OK I have it working again. I am using c:\temp as you suggested and changed the file name and one of those two things seems to have fixed it. Thanks John.
Photo of Mirko

Mirko, Alum

The Quicken/Reckon Accounts Personal Price history file contains records for your security prices over time.  Occasionally this data becomes corrupted and needs to be rebuilt.  You can rebuild the price history file using the steps provided above.  Some data may be lost when doing this process. Thus, it is recommended to make backups and copies of the file you are deleting (i.e. change .QPH to .TXT, if needing to revert, it's a matter of of changing the extension back). So you have a fail safe, it's imperative to make backups when making changes or manipulating files, whether you are importing a CSV, or using the steps above.
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Mirko,

>> You can rebuild the price history file using the steps provided above.

How can you reiterate this claim, as on the basis of available documentation, it is not the case.

I have not seen any documentation to support your claim that by "Choose Historical Prices etc" that ASX price information could be recovered. The best that I expect is that the 2 US market indices will be recovered.

Could you please confirm if any ASX codes would be supported in this way, before making any further reckless claims that the .qph file can be deleted then re-created.

As has been indicated in posts from many users, there are many trusts etc which have historical prices stored in their .qph file and are simply not publically listed. These can not be regenerated in the way you have indicated.

Again, could you please obtain some documentation of what price codes are supported by the "Choose Historical Prices" approach you have outlined.

I hope no RPP user proceeds with your recommendation until the claims you have made are confirmed, which I suspect will not be the case.

John

Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Mirko,

You also wrote:

>> Occasionally this data becomes corrupted and needs to be rebuilt. 

Why can't Reckon address this issue, by providing a rebuild option for the .qph file ?
As I have indicated above, I have reviewed the structure of the .qph file and it should not be too difficult to regenerate the company and price records of companies stored in the QDATA files.

I have no experience of corrupted .qph files, but suspect that corruption of record pointers could occur. The record structure chosen for the .qph file is not very robust, as price records do not identify the company they relate to. There is little redundancy in the one-way pointer system that was chosen.

Reckon should look at revising the record structure, to provide a more robust format for rebuilding of the retrievable information.

A useful alternative could be to provide a functional .csv import and export facility for information in the .qph file. ( Why Reckon have failed to fix the volume import bug amazes me and reinforces my cynicism about useful improvements ever being achieved.)

Unfortunately I suspect this improvement is beyond Reckon's capability or drive.

John

Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Mirko,

Is there any update on my questions ?

What company price data can be recovered in the way you have recommended ?

You can't just leave out there a recommendation of deleting the .qph file without clarifying what information can be retrieved in the way you have suggested.

I think it is important that this post be updated.

John

Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

I just can not believe how farcical Reckon's share price support is becoming. Not only is this thread about deleting the .qph file not being corrected, but also the attempt to replace the share prices lost last week is also pathetic.

Why couldn't a .csv file including date, high, low, close and volume have been provided. Can't Reckon Support staff look at their own knowledge database and see how it is done. I'm not surprised that thread was closed for comment.

And still there is no reply !!

Photo of Helmut Fuhrmann

Helmut Fuhrmann

• 102 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Why are ASX prices not updating since Friday?.

Why are ASX prices not updating as of 20-Nov-14
Photo of Gregory Tye

Gregory Tye

• 114 Points 100 badge 2x thumb
This reply was created from a merged topic originally titled Personal plus 2015 cannot download quotes. It was working 0n 21/11 not since..
I have used Quicken/Reckon since Q3, and have provided my fair share of unhappiness about some things I didn't think were working right. Time to flip the shell;
1. Because the ASX prices failed in pre RPP15, I had to find a way to imprort the prices manually - learned of the process above, and found out some things I didn't (many by accident),
a. You can edit, and clean the price history downloads (eg from ASX website) to be as formatted above in something like Excel, DON"T " save as Excel, make sure extension is .csv, .or, txt (I used CSV). It won't work to start with,
b. put the file in a short tree directory name, eg C:\downloads, as this must be typed exactly, paste exact file name at end in dialogue box (tip: make filename short e.g. TLS.csv)
c, third column and fifth coloumn are 3 -, not two as I misread intitally, makes a difference,
2. Now I dowload the full price history of each of my portfolio items and when I purchase a new one, just get that and load it up,
3. I have never had a corruption of data, and am a little particular about back-up, but, now I know the above, and my diversity is only around 20 different items, I can rebuild quite easily,

I'm pleased I learned some new stuff out og this difficulty.

But:
Having accessed the Hubb offer in RPP13, and use it quite a lot, is there some way tit can be linked with the Investment tab/module of RPP??

Just asking
Photo of John Campbell

John Campbell

Mirko,

I have again checked this topic and still no reply from Reckon. It is very frustrating that basic problems that could be easily fixed are continuing to be ignored.

Why can't the product manager for Reckon Personal Plus 2015 provide a response. Surely there is someone in Reckon who takes responsibility for this product and can find the time to address the repeated comments the users have made about deficiencies in what is a mature product.

Should my next step be to try to arrange a meeting in North Sydney to try and progress the issues that continue to be ignored ?

John

Photo of Inigo

Inigo

• 6,320 Points 5k badge 2x thumb

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.