Windows 10 / Reckon 2015

ADMC
ADMC Member Posts: 6
edited August 2020 in Reckon Accounts (Desktop)
Windows 10 upgrade - Reckon 2015 - unable to email invoices / payslips!  And no satisfactory answer here!  Please Reckon, we would like a solution now please.

Thank you!

Comments

• John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Hi ADMC

Thanks for asking the Reckon Community.

As our current releases are not fully compatible with the new Windows 10 operating system you will need to make a few configuration adjustments to make it work.

For emailing issues see our guide at Best practice for Save as PDF and Emailing in Reckon Accounts Business 2013.  The steps here apply to running current editions on newer operating systems.  

Please click on this link for our statement on Reckon Accounts and Windows 10.

Hope this gets you running soon.  

regards,
    John

• Spilly
    Spilly Member Posts: 182 ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Win 10 upgrade, Reckon Premier 2015, Outlook 2010.

Emailing work fine, Must run Reckon Account as Administrator, Make sure PDF printer port is not shared, Make sure Outlook is open before emailing(see below). Make sure 'Display each email when sending more than one' in Preferences > Online > Company Preferences is untick.

No need to run in compatibility mode.

Outlook 2010 Issue:

ISSUE: RA not responding or cannot open Outlook after sending email from RA.

Problem: QBW32.exe Background Processes (Even after exiting RA) still attached to Outlook Data file, locking the file.
    Immediate Fix: Right Click start menu click 'Task Manager' On the Processes Tab go to 'Background Processes' then look for 'Reckon Accounts (32bit)' right click and click 'end task'.
    Workaround: Open Outlook before attempting to send email.

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 802 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited August 2020
    ADMC:

The notes that John G suggested,  work well.  I've just followed them by
    a) building a complete Windows 10 PRO system   (23/8/15 latest download vers)
    b) installing Office 2013 Office for Outlook
    c) installing Reckon Accounts Premier 2015 R2
    d) using the SAMPLE company to generate an email of an invoice.

John G's  (reckon Community)  full notes worked perfectly.  

NOTE:  Tim.   I saw a note within John G's notes that stipulated NOT to run in compatibility mode, and to just tick the run as administrator aspect.  I've done a screen shot of that selection,  and also a screenshot for the solution running, to assist you.

Cheers

Gary Pope

An Accredited Partner- Consultant  (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accounts-clarified/
    "Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
          independent IT Professional
     and retired FCPA Accountant"

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    ADMC - I'm glad you're solved,   and frankly,  I feel it is also important to point out that information was available from the search as well,  would you now agree?

Gary

• Spilly
    edited August 2015
    Question? If you send an email using Office 2013 from RA without opening outlook 1st, does it lock the outlook file?

Yes knew it was in Johns notes, but it amazing how many people try that 1st.
  • Spilly
    edited August 2015
    Make sure 'Display each email when sending more than one' in Preferences > Online > Company Preferences is untick.
    You don't need to does this if you run Outlook as administrator, however the reason why application no longer run at elevated levels is for a very good reason.

?
  • ADMC
    ADMC Member Posts: 6
    edited August 2015
    Hi Gary - I would agree - trouble is that for those (me in particular)  who get "uptight" when systems don't operate as expected, I am afraid that it is difficult to see the way clear.  I did try a couple of the options and the result was not satisfactory.  You are all amazing and familiar with the system, so what appears as a simple fix for you is simply "fog" for me, I needed the voice on the end of the phone guiding me through the fix....   I do thank you all again for everyone's valuable time xx
  • gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Thanks for the courtesy of the whole followup.  This is the team spirit we're trying to see and engender here,  and at the same time, pin-point the real issues for everyone to get a better experience with their products - no matter what the source of the query.  Thankyou ADMC!   Gaz

• Spilly
    edited August 2015
    What's even funnier is, they could add a line of code to the Launcher to run as admin, so no users have to deal with it. Release the patch for a quick fix. Remember when there was up to 8 releases per year, now we get 2 maybe 3, 1 which is tax tables. Really have to wonder what the high price is for.
  • ARC BookKeeping
    ARC BookKeeping Member Posts: 168
    edited August 2015
    I have my first Customer come to me with Win10 issues with emailing, so it will be interesting to see if any of this helps... also going to try this forum notes.. just in case. will give any thing a go!

Cheers
    Angie Carlyle

• Steve Cook
    Steve Cook Member Posts: 150 ✭✭
    edited February 2017

Just a gentle reminder. Refer to
    https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/reckon-accounts-and-windows-10

"We expect a full test of Reckon Accounts to be completed by the end of August. At which time we will provide an update via the Knowledge Browser & the Community"

Patiently waiting.....

• Colin_7735946
    Colin_7735946 Member Posts: 9
    edited September 2015
    Hi John
    I have just gone to windows 10 and upgraded my Personal Plus to 2015.
    In the process I have lost my share price history after upgrading .I have backed up my data before on an external drive but cant seem to copy and paste the lost data to the new file. Can you help Thanks
    Colin
  • Sharmaine Pearton
    Sharmaine Pearton Member Posts: 2
    edited September 2015
    Why can’t I Save to PDF or Email with Reckon 2015 and Window's 10?  This did not work for me - any more ideas....so frustrating!!
  • Tony S
    Tony S Member Posts: 4
    edited September 2015
    Tim, surely adding a line of code to make any piece of software force itself to run as an administrator is a massive security concern for Microsoft?
  • Spilly
    edited September 2015
    Running elevated programs on windows is not a concern for Microsoft never has been, it's a concern to their clients. Bad PR when crap goes wrong and the user blames them and not themselves for opening something nasty. This is why UAC ?was invented.

Adding a line of code to run elevated is the same as ticking a box on a shortcut, the user still has to ok the UAC prompt. Doing this would take all the hassle away from RA users having to do it.

I would question why it requires to run elevated, but QB / RA has always been like that and yes it shouldn't require it. I would say RA in its current state has lots of band aids on it probably features to the to hard basket each day.

For Example: do a search for QBW.INI How many do you find? 4
    Why is there more than 1, having 4, some with information in them double up, would have to be poor practice at any standard. Maybe 2 with default installation settings and one with user settings. But 4 smell like some dirty bandaids.
  • Wade McCarthy
    Wade McCarthy Member Posts: 11
    edited April 2016
    Hi guys, i have read the latest statement from Reckon about windows 10 here: https://community.reckon.com/reckon/topics/windows-10-and-reckon-accounts-update

However, we are running a pc setup as a Reckon server, with 4 clients. Each has a network drive mapped to the share on the server to access the company file.  

When I run Reckon as an administrator, it no longer sees the mapped network drives, as when you map them it would have been under the current user.

I have already tried all fixes on from here: http://kb.reckon.com.au/issue_view.asp?ID=4897

Is there a way around this? As it is very frustrating not being able to email invoices from Reckon.
  • John G
    John G Reckon Staff Posts: 1,570 Reckon Staff
    edited February 2017
    Thanks Andrew,

The fix works nicely.

regards,
    John.
  • Wade McCarthy
    Wade McCarthy Member Posts: 11
    edited October 2015
    Thanks for your help Andrew, for some reason that didn't work for me. 

I ended up just creating a shortcut on the desktop to \server\share  and then when I opened Reckon as an admin, I could browse through this shortcut to find the company file on the server
  • Steve Cook
    edited April 2016

People need to be aware.....
    Info from Microsoft blog website about Windows 10 upgrades
    Looks like Microsoft will get more “pushy” about it.
    Maybe more aggressive “nags” and “pop-ups”
    Reckon users need to be cautious

Personally I am resisting and waiting for RA2016....

One wrong mouse click could start the upgrade process....
    Read the full document here

http://blogs.windows.com/windowsexperience/2015/10/29/making-it-easier-to-upgrade-to-windows-10/

• Steve Cook
    edited November 2015
    Yes Andrew that's why I put it here. Not for Reckon's benefit. More for Reckon users who might un-wittingly initiate the upgrade
  • Steve Cook
    edited February 2017

Windows 10 upgrades seem to be installing by default on some computers. I saw 2 yesterday.

Not sure, early days yet
    But it seems to be affecting Windows 7 Home and Windows 8 Home versions.
    EG Windows Home Basic, Home Premium
    Professional editions of Windows still seem to be optional (at the moment)

How to check:

Right-click on "Computer" and select "Properties". This will tell if you have a "Home" or "Professional" edition.

Open Windows Updates
    Click "Optional Updates"
    On "Home" versions of Windows, Windows 10 Upgrade is ticked by default
    And may upgrade to Windows 10 automatically

You need to un-tick this update to avoid Windows 10
    Beware ! It will re-tick itself, so need on-going checking
    Until you are ready for Windows 10

I'm guessing only a matter of time until Professional versions do the same....

• gazza73
    edited December 2016
    Steve 

FYI... (possibly seen before)

the forcing of regular system updates has been a concern to a lot of users.   Some are basd on fears of fresh code not being fully compatible with the uncountable number of application software combinations that users around the world use, and whether it will impact their business/activities next day.  Some users cite privacy and rights issues, declaring they'd prefer to decide which updates and when to apply them.  IE: to try and control their installations.

The Windows 10 decision to not have options to disable the auto-system-updates came as a surprise early in BETA distributions/customer awareness, for sure.

Here's an article that tries to address this:
    http://www.techtimes.com/articles/79758/20150829/how-to-stop-receiving-forced-updates-on-windows-10....

Cheers

Gary

• Steve Cook
    edited November 2015
    Yes Andrew this is correct for "Reserved" computers. The two I saw yesterday were not "reserved. I checked.
  • Steve Cook
    edited November 2015
    Also I believe "Home" versions of Windows cannot join a domain. I stand to be corrected as I haven't used "Home" versions for several years.