New Item questions

Options
Liz_8627391
Liz_8627391 Member Posts: 12

First off I am shocked that I ring for technical support and after spending 30 minutes on the phone I’m no better off.

Just have a few questions regarding adding new items into Reckon Accounts Plus 2016. In reference to New Items (see screen shot) 

1. Importing from excel a number of new items? Does this work well? I read that getting the barcodes to appear is a bit more complex and this is the main thing that we need,

2. Is there any way to have each new item show a few fields already populated? For example my client sells a lot of similar items and the Purchase GST tax code, the Sales GST tax code and the Income Account will always be the same. They are finding it slow to click in each field and select the same code or account each time.

3. The amts inc Tax, can this always be ticked as default?

4. What does the Custom Fields in this window do? Can this fix some of my issues?

Any help someone could provide me would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Liz

Comments

• DebonAir
    DebonAir Member Posts: 392
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Hi, yes the importing does work exceptionally well, IF you get it in the correct format.

First you should create one item correctly and export the list as you have mentioned. Then you can fill the lines in exactly the same format. 

However, in Reckon you should not be using GST for sales and purchases. This is not MYOB. Purchases will generally be using NCG as the tax code.

I have found it best to keep the "includes tax" option unticked, as it has caused some problems in past versions with doubling up on the tax, depending on other settings used elsewhere.

To be sure that your hard work is going to work, I would suggest you create a few lines in excel and then import them and then check them carefully to see that they are entered correctly. If so, continue.

I have personally done this hundreds of times, completing full inventory for manufacturers and engineering workshops a few times, as well as the general retail stock items.

Testing will save you from heartache.

• Liz_8627391
    edited August 2016
    Options

The client I am working with now is in retail.

Did you import the barcode information as well for your retail clients? Did this work alright? I have read people have had issues with it.

Does that mean if you don't tick includes GST that you work out the excluding GST amount? I know this will really confuse my client if they have to work that out.

• DebonAir
    edited December 2016
    Options
    We created the barcode detail in excel, some was actually created in another program and then copied into excel but it must be in the correct format to for it be read in the POS program. 

Whether or not your stock is entered as including GST or without will have to be left up to you decide....and the implications of when linking your programs and your sales receipts or invoices. It really depends on the way you set it all up to work correctly.

• Liz_8627391
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thank you for your advice.

• gazza73
    gazza73 Accredited Partner Posts: 803 Accredited Partner Accredited Partner
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Just to add to DenoAir's terrific answers,  your Q.4.  is not of relevance.  Custom fields are additional fields you may want to add later,  to collect descriptive type information or reference information as and when needed.  Like:  Color, Size, Country of Manufacture  or some other aspect of an item that the system does not cater for from just an accounting point of view.

Liz,  your questions seem more related to 'how-to-use' the product,  as opposed to some technical fault in the product.  Training with Accredited Partners or webinars or the Reckon Academy,.... these are more relevant areas to seek training help from,  if you;ll permit my observation.

Cheers, and hope today's clues set you on your path.
    refer:   http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-support/      and 
     http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-accredited-partners-enhance-business-solutions/

Gary

Gary Pope

m: 0408994799
    e:  gaz@alchester.com.au
    An Accredited Partner- Consultant (VIC. Aust)
    http://www.alchester.com.au/reckon-ac
    “Working with Accountants/Bookkeepers PPs/APs, as an
         independent IT Professional and retired FCPA Accountant”

• Liz_8627391
    edited August 2016
    Options

Thank you Gary for the information.

I didn't think to look on YouTube for answers.

I need to stop thinking like a MYOB user.

• Rav
    Rav Administrator, Reckon Staff Posts: 15,392 Community Manager Community Manager
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Hi Liz,

There are a number of recorded webinars and How-To videos we've created which are quite helpful over a broad range of topics.

Check out a selection here and our YouTube playlist which holds both webinars and How-To videos here

Thanks
    Rav

ℹ️ Stay up to date with important news & announcements for your Reckon software! Click HERE for more info.

• DebonAir
    edited December 2016
    Options
    Yes Liz, stop applying MYOB procedures to Reckon and you will make your job so much easier. You will also find that it's a much better program all round, when you get used to what it can and can't do. Good luck with it.
  • Liz_8627391
    edited August 2016
    Options
    Hi DebonAir, 

I can see that it will take a bit of time but I'm getting there. I can see now that bulk import is going to be my way forward. Our client isn't to happy with how long its taking to import information manually and is looking for the fastest way to do things. 

It's the same differences that always stump you and you just have to ask that stupid question. 

Thank you again for your help. 

Hi Rav, 

I have had a look at the YouTube clips and they are more about the account aspect which we are not up to yet but good to know that they are there when i need them. 

I'm going to guess that the clips for Reckon Hosted would still work for Reckon Accounts Plus as they would be similar? 

Regards, 
    Liz